This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CUB AS A WEAPON II.....KILL THE BEES ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

CUB AS A WEAPON II.....KILL THE BEES ?

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:27 am

I have discovered that there are TONS of bumble bees (the big black and yellow ones...not honey bees ) underneath two 4'x8' wooden platforms on the dirt floor of my barn! The platforms are 4'x8' sheets of plywood with 2x4 frames around the edges. It's like O'Hare under one and LA/X under the other !!

My question is:

Will the exhaust fumes kill the bees much like the ground hogs??

How long do I make the exposure? One platform at a time or 'Y' off the hose and get em both at the same time?

For OBVIOUS reasons, I cannot just pour some lighter fluid on them and toss on a match while they are in for the night!!! I need my barn to remain STANDING !!!!

I was thinking I should take advantage of the first 50 degree temp night, and drill a hole in the top of the plywood with my holesaw before they become active for the day and zap em??

I MUST get in there and do some work that WILL require moving those platforms PRIOR to 10-14-05, and, I DO NOT like bee stings !!

Please help with any of your knowledge and experience here. :idea:

Thanks, Marion( NOT a beekeeper ! )

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Apiary

Postby allenlook » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:59 am

Marion,

Sorry to hear about your impromptu apiary. My family handles honeybees by the semi-truckload every year for the Maine wild blueberry crop, but it sounds like you've got something else - bumblebees or ground bees perhaps. I had a lot of yellowjackets on the farm this year, kids and I both got stung a few times.

You've got a few options, not the last of which is calling someone who can identify and nullify your particular infestation. You don't want to get in there and tick them off and end up finding out they're Africanized sunz-a-bitches :shock:

You're right about treating them at night when most of them are "at home," and I would recommend a multi-pronged approach. First off avoid the K-Mart brand bee killers and go straight for the RAID foaming variety. It sticks to everything and hangs around for a long time and drops them buggers right out of the air, unlike the cheaper varieties. Buy at least a half-dozen cans and "Apply liberally to the affected area." At the same time, run the Cub's exhaust hose or even better a hose from the smokiest-and-worst-running engine you've got under the platforms, but probably this will only work if they're living in combs under the platforms, I don't know that it will work if they're ground bees,... Smoke will make bees dopey, but I can't guarantee that exhaust will kill them.

I'd be very careful when you lift the platforms to check your results, and whatever you do, don't kill one and then hang around. If they're like honeybees, the dead bee gives of a smell that kind of smells like bananas (no joke) and look out because here comes the Bee Air Force as soon as they sense it! :shock:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:23 am

We had a problem with bbes around our pool- We used seven dust for roses- kills fast. its a white powder that once they track it into the hive thier all died!!!! Try going to the lawn and garden center and look for the dust to remove ants and beetles- it also kills bees in about 2 days, and they do all the work.

Jason
1947 Farmall Cub, SN 9920

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:25 am

I hate to say this but since you can not see under the platform you may want to call a exterminator. You may hit the bees with spray but you may only get the top layer. We did this one time and we thought we got the bees and when we moved the top layer all was good for a few minutes and then the action happened. there was a huge hive inside the ground and they had more then one entrance and exit and we got tore up bad. We had to call the exterminator to get them. There was a huge hive in the ground and he told us we never would have got them with the sprays we had.
call the exterminator and save yourself a trip the the hospital. you never know when you are going to end up there. My dad had been stung many many times over the years then about 10 years ago he got stung and barley made it to the house if he had not told my aunt that he had been stung before he passed out and went into convolusions he would not have been here today. The paramedics said he was dead when they got there but since they knew it was a bee sting they new what to do.
good luck and be careful
Chad

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:38 am

may be if you mixed a little oil in your gas would help, also ground bees
I put a push lawn mower over top of them and that got read of them.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:32 am

Bumble bees consume huge quantities of oxygen, and most anything to affect their air supply will do them in. I have killed out their nests by simply dumping a pint or two of gasoline in the opening ot a nest and leaving ( no match incvolved). the fumes wiped out the whole nest.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:00 pm

WXatch out for bees of anykind!
Noëlles first husbandnd, a beekeeper, wzs killed by a hive of bees that turned on him for no reason at all at the age of 30 something, there is now a stone over him.
Dont mess wirth bees.
Pat

Return to “Farmall Cub”