This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Correct Police

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Correct Police

Postby Dusty B » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 pm

The '60 cub I just got from LA has red rear rims! Appear to be original, did some cubs come w/red instead of the silver (galvanized) color?? Thanks, Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: Correct Police

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:44 pm

This does not answer your question but I've never seen other than silver/galvanized. Anything is possible.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am

Can't say as I've ever heard of one coming with red rims on the rear. Fronts are always red, but the rears came galvanized originally. Some legends have it that they came panted silver as well, but I expect galvanizing was most common, if not the exclusive finish due to the widespread use of calcium chloride as ballast, and galvanizing's corrosion resistance.

The paint technology of the time wouldn't stick to galvanizing, so painting them red at the factory would've been wasted time. Of course galvanizing isn't forever, so it's likely that someone just blew red paint on the whole thing at some point 30, 40, 50 years ago. Any evidence of overspray on the rear tires would have disappeared if the tires were changed.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:33 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:Can't say as I've ever heard of one coming with red rims on the rear. Fronts are always red, but the rears came galvanized originally. Some legends have it that they came panted silver as well, but I expect galvanizing was most common, if not the exclusive finish due to the widespread use of calcium chloride as ballast, and galvanizing's corrosion resistance.

The paint technology of the time wouldn't stick to galvanizing, so painting them red at the factory would've been wasted time. Of course galvanizing isn't forever, so it's likely that someone just blew red paint on the whole thing at some point 30, 40, 50 years ago. Any evidence of overspray on the rear tires would have disappeared if the tires were changed.

The wheels for my 57 Farmall Cub were stamped "Firestone" and were clearly a factory paint on the inside of the rims when I took off what were probably the original tires in 2006. Tubes had been filled with calcium chloride solution and had started leaking - eating up the rims. I washed them real good and took some polishing compound to an area of gray paint that was left on the inside of the rim. Shined up real nice. Sent them out to be powder coated silver.

With new sneakers!

No sign of galvanizing on them, so at some point IH got away from that finish.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Can't say as I've ever heard of one coming with red rims on the rear. Fronts are always red, but the rears came galvanized originally. Some legends have it that they came panted silver as well, but I expect galvanizing was most common, if not the exclusive finish due to the widespread use of calcium chloride as ballast, and galvanizing's corrosion resistance.

Galvanizing is also cheaper than enamel paints and faster to apply because zinc will electrochemically bond to steel with minimal surface preparation. It is comparable to metal plating in some ways.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 am

No, they were not painted. Matter of fact, they came to the factory with the tires on them already. If yours are painted, especially if they're painted inside of the rim (where the tire mounts) they are either replacement rims, or they were taken apart and painted in the past.

The rims were supplied to IH, to the factory, by the tire suppliers. I've seen the insides of them stamped Goodyear, Firestone, and Bridgestone, from all ages of Cubs, and they were all galvanized. The tires were already mounted to the rims, and shipped to the factory that way so all they had to do was bolt them to the centers after the tractor was painted and ready to drive off of the assembly line.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Dusty B wrote:The '60 cub I just got from LA has red rear rims! Appear to be original, did some cubs come w/red instead of the silver (galvanized) color?? Thanks, Dusty B
. As you can see if it were repainted it was stripped and apparently NO primer was used?? Tube does show some color on from previous paint but hood and other places show none?!? Have not pulled tires yet (probably will as I think these were the ones that were filled w/water!?). We'll see what that shows!! VERY interesting!! Paint appears to be a heavy, hard finish enamel? Dusty B
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 517 times
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg (13.39 KiB) Viewed 517 times
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:42 pm

I thought from your original question that you were saying the rims looked original. The painted valve stem makes that pretty clearly not so.

It is possible to paint the rims without repainting the whole tractor. They may have even been on a different tractor when they were painted.