This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Fuel Cap recall

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pompiere
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43449
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1958 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Farmall Fuel Cap recall

Postby Pompiere » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 am

This is probably old news to many of you, but I just stumbled across this topic last week while I was laid up. Since there are a lot of new people who are using their Cubs regularly for mowing and such, I thought it worthy of a mention.

This is from the IH site "A serious fire can occur during operation of a GASOLINE fueled tractor. Under certain conditions, gasoline vapors can build up pressure in the gas tank. If the gas tank cap is then removed, while the engine is running or hot, the sudden release of pressure could force gasoline out of the tank and result in a fire. Gasoline can also escape if the gas cap is not securely tightened. Never remove a gas cap from a hot or running tractor. Always tighten the cap securely. A new style gas cap, first available in 1980, has special design features to reduce gasoline vapor build-up and fuel eruption due to improper gas cap removal. The new gas cap has two vent holes in the top of the cap and has “PRESSURE - OPEN SLOWLY” embossed on the top of the cap."

I had no idea how long this had been out there, so with nothing to lose, I verified the numbers and submitted the information on the web site. http://www.ihgascap.com Barely a week later, UPS truck dropped them off. They are taller than the original cap, but that's a small price for not having a fire, especially on a working tractor. You can keep the old cap for shows.

From the pictures I've seen posted, many people already have received new gas caps. I just wanted to let everyone know, this recall is still active. In fact, the following was on the site: Note: Due to low volume of cap requests, and high inventory, the FREE GAS CAP offer will be extended indefinitely.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Re: Farmall Fuel Cap recall

Postby radioguy41 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:18 am

Yep, got mine in June. Can't beat free. :D
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 pm

This recall has been going on for 30+ years. I remember when I was living near Troy, Mo. Getting one of the new caps for my Dad's H. Then you took an old cap to a dealer and they handed you a new safety cap.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 pm

A fellow just down the road from me got burnt badly last year due to a defective gas cap. He shut off the tractor after using it in the field and noticed a hissing or whistling coming from the gas cap. He loosened or removed the gas cap and the hot tractor ignighted in flames. If I recall it was an 806.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:This recall has been going on for 30+ years. I remember when I was living near Troy, Mo. Getting one of the new caps for my Dad's H. Then you took an old cap to a dealer and they handed you a new safety cap.
Trying that today would most likely get you some very funny looks and mumbling from behind the parts counter unless they had been around 30+ years. The company that sends out the gas caps is as close to the original International Harvester as you can get. That is if IHC hadn't sold the name along with the Ag Division back in the 1980's. The Ag Division has been through multiple ownership changes and as far as I know, nobody ever included in those purchases the responsibility of the original IH for the gas cap lawsuit settlement.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 am

John Deere has a similar program for it's '60s garden tractors. Back in the 60s and 70s, it was common practice to place the fuel tank above the engine under the hood. On some John Deere models, the battery was place just in front and slightly below the fuel tank. Deere now has a battery kit that includes a plastic cover for the battery terminals and different battery hardware to try and ensure a spark from the battery from igniting any gas or gas fumes from the tank. All you have to do is take your serial number in and they will give you the kit which includes parts for several different tractors with instructions on how to use the parts. Then you just discard the parts that isn't for your tractor.

Return to “Farmall Cub”