What starter should I get?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Randy Tuura
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Re: What starter should I get?

Postby Randy Tuura » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Waif wrote:Ground was poor on my tractor. Pulled starter lever...nothing.
Was sporatic till a braided ground was added.
Switch was cleaned and starter surface to tractor cleaned.

I hear ya on a chair vs working tight into tractor when a deck is on it.
I can fortunately leave chair though.
Starter not so bad to reach.
Never step on a running deck though.......

I can get out of the chair also. No, never have and never will step on a mower deck that's running. The tractor might be running and I'll use the touch control to get up and down - but that's kinda risky as well.

I use the power wheelchair at work because I couldn't do justice to the job on foot all the time. Lots of people tell me that i'll be like new after my total knee replacement.

I need to be able to walk out with my cane and climb up on the seat, pull the starter and go. My tinkering days are over for now.

Is a braided ground that much better? I'm beginning to think about a new primary wire to the starter as well. When it gets here all the contacts are going to get a good going over.

I did have a miscue that shows I have plenty of power at the starter. I was going to tighten the new starter switch a bit with cables connected to the battery. A flash and part of a screwdriver blade disappeared. Nothing else burned...
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi,

Tim, it sounds like Sailor's 12 volt starter is not like IH used, the IH starter has no switch on top of it, and no rod to pull. :)

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Glen wrote:Hi, Tim, it sounds like Sailor's 12 volt starter is not like IH used, the IH starter has no switch on top of it, and no rod to pull. :)

staninlowerAL wrote: Later model cubs used a solenoid which I believe started with the change to 12v (maybe later on). These have a key switch ignition. If you purchased a 12v starter it will probably not have the threaded mounting point holes for the pull rod type switch so you will have to go with an electrical solenoid or a push type switch like the ones used on the dash of the early 12v cubs.
That's what I was referring to in my response.

Randy Tuura
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Randy Tuura » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:31 pm

I have already ordered a new (or newly rebuilt) 6v starter. I have a new starter button. Bought a new 12v battery - found one that fits the batterybox. I had not heard that the battery is to be grounded to the battery box. I might try that. Then I could close it up. There's room with this new small battery.
Randy
Machinist since 1973

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Randy Tuura wrote:
Waif wrote:Ground was poor on my tractor. Pulled starter lever...nothing.
Was sporatic till a braided ground was added.
Switch was cleaned and starter surface to tractor cleaned.

I hear ya on a chair vs working tight into tractor when a deck is on it.
I can fortunately leave chair though.
Starter not so bad to reach.
Never step on a running deck though.......

I can get out of the chair also. No, never have and never will step on a mower deck that's running. The tractor might be running and I'll use the touch control to get up and down - but that's kinda risky as well.

I use the power wheelchair at work because I couldn't do justice to the job on foot all the time. Lots of people tell me that i'll be like new after my total knee replacement.

I need to be able to walk out with my cane and climb up on the seat, pull the starter and go. My tinkering days are over for now.

Is a braided ground that much better? I'm beginning to think about a new primary wire to the starter as well. When it gets here all the contacts are going to get a good going over.

I did have a miscue that shows I have plenty of power at the starter. I was going to tighten the new starter switch a bit with cables connected to the battery. A flash and part of a screwdriver blade disappeared. Nothing else burned...

My fighting cable ended with the braid.
Starter should have plenty of ground at tractor.
Your having power to starter is good ,as long as it flows under load sufficiently.
A new or proven starter will tell.

I had mine rebuilt at a reputable shop ,so not to fight it in the field.
Still ,being a belt and suspenders type ,being able to crank it by hand is nice...

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi,
Below is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing the 12 volt battery, and connections. Since yours is 12 volts, this way would work.
IH had a braided ground strap that I believe goes under the battery, to one bolt that holds the battery box on. I don't know how there is enough clearance under the battery with the bolt going through the cable end, that the battery is not sitting on the bolt head. Maybe Stan knows, he has a 12 volt Cub. It might be a strap with a thin end, I don't know.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-25.jpg

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:19 pm

My 12v cub ground has been moved to the trans cover.

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Waif » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:02 am

staninlowerAL wrote:My 12v cub ground has been moved to the trans cover.

Mine came with a p.o. steel angle welded on the floor of operator station.

Randy Tuura
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Randy Tuura » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Okay, I got the new starter. Not sure if it is "new" or rebuilt. It took some doing but I got the old one off and the new one on. I bought one of those longer levers and it works so much better. Pull rod seems to be made for this longer lever. Had to bush it out (washers on the inside of the mounting bracket) so the lever would push on the center of the button. Don't know why I thought that was important, but then I'm kind of a detail person sometimes.

Anyway, it started and I mowed and mowed.Works like a charm.
Randy
Machinist since 1973

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Glad it worked out for you. Maybe the end of starter issues.

Randy Tuura
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Randy Tuura » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:Glad it worked out for you. Maybe the end of starter issues.

Hope so. At least while troubleshooting in the future I can eliminate the battery and starter right away.
Randy
Machinist since 1973

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Waif » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:05 am

Back in action satisfaction.
Onward!

Sailor
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812

Postby Sailor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding, it was on the tractor when I bought it.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower