This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO/ Mower wont go in gear.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub driver
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32309
Tractors Owned: 1972 Gravely 7.6 walk behind convertible w/ 30" deck and rotary plow.
1965 Cub Lo Boy w/ Danco IH C-2 mower.

PTO/ Mower wont go in gear.

Postby Cub driver » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 am

Mowing today the mower "came out of gear", I stopped the tractor, reached for the PTO lever to engage, moved the lever to the rear and it felt
"looser" than normal and I could feel it bumping the splines as I attempted to engage it. It finally caught and stayed in gear to allow me to finish (only had about 300 ft. left) but disengaged as soon as I hit the clutch. Anybody had anything like this happen to them and if so what may be the cause?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO/ Mower wont go in gear.

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:39 am

Couple of common problem areas. Worn pin on PTO shift lever and worn splines in the coupling.

Thing to do is to remove and disassemble the PTO, inspect for damage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Got that problem myself. Worn pin on shifter
Thomas

Cub driver
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1972 Gravely 7.6 walk behind convertible w/ 30" deck and rotary plow.

Postby Cub driver » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks to both of you for the info. Took it apart today, Looks like very worn splines and the coupling is also worn.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi,
Remove the transmission oil fill plug, to the rear of the shifter, and you can use a light and look in, and see the trans and clutch shaft splines for the PTO somewhat from the side.
That is the rear of the shaft that comes from the clutch.
If the splines are worn out, you will probably need to replace the shaft, which means you would need to split the Cub at the front of the transmission.
TM Tractor sells a new shaft, if you want to see it.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/235fp.htm

The pin on the PTO shifter, that fits in the PTO clutch groove, should be round, not have flat areas on it.
Here is a new one at TM Tractor.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/317fp.htm

Check the PTO pilot bushing in the rear of the clutch shaft, it needs to be in good condition.
Put some grease in it, and on the end of the PTO shaft before putting the PTO in.
The front of the PTO shaft should be smooth, where it runs in the bushing.

Also, look in through the filler hole to put the PTO in, it makes it easier to align the shifter pin, and the groove on the PTO clutch.

Here is a pic of a shaft end in good condition, from TM Tractor. I'm not sure if it is like new, but good anyway. The pics of the new one above are sort of too small to see the splines at the end. :)
Attachments
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 227 times

Cub driver
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Cub driver » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Glen,

Looks like the shaft going out the back is worse than the one coming thru the transmission. And the coupling is VERY worn. Is it necessary to split the cub to replace/ reinstall this shaft and coupling?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi,
I don't quite understand what you mean, you wrote above that you took the PTO out of the tractor. I think you are asking about the PTO shaft, if it looks in bad condition, it needs replacing. TM Tractor sells new ones.
If the splines on the transmission shaft are still good, no, you don't need to replace that, or split the Cub.
Below is a listing for the new PTO shaft, it is the newer style that uses a snap ring at the PTO bearing, instead of staking, like the older ones used.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/514fp.htm

It's easier to put a new bearing on it, than remove the bearing from the old shaft. The snap ring comes with the bearing, it looks like, and not with the shaft.
A new seal at the rear would be good too. They sell those too, and the PTO clutch, which has the splines in it. Here is the PTO section below.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/pt_001newparts.htm

The new oil seals are thinner than the old original seals. Just hammer the old one out, if you want to replace it, and hammer the new one in. Put something clean, and metal over the new seal to hammer on, don't hammer directly on a new oil seal. The seal lip has to face ahead too.

Below are pics of new PTO clutches from TM Tractor. IH calls it a clutch. You can see the splines.
When you put the PTO together, before putting it in the Cub, I like to grease the bearing through the grease fitting, it fills up the area between the seal and bearing with grease, and you can see the grease come out at the front shield.

Here is the Cub service manual, if you want to read about the PTO, it is in section 6A :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/ci ... actors.asp
Attachments
Cub PTO clutch front.jpg
Cub PTO clutch front.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Cub PTO 4.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”