This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter Drive Gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Starter Drive Gear

Postby wrz » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Purchased a 67 parts tractor which had a frozen engine. Got it freed up by using pb blaster and using ( Barnyards method ) of removing the starter and using a pry bar on the fly wheel teeth. Put the starter back in place and when you turn the motor over (by hand) you can hear the starter gear turn. Is the return spring broken? What the major problem is the valves are sticking and have one left to free up. Did turn over the engine using the 12 volt starter.

Thanks
Wm

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter Drive Gear

Postby tst » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:31 pm

you cannot turn a 12 volt cub starter fast enough by hand to make the drive kick back, needs to be under power, if you have 3 good cylinders the engine will run, it can be easier to get a stuck valve loose after the engine heats up I have found

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:46 pm

You may need to remove the starter and clean the drive up (rust or gunk). You can normally spin the drive back in simply by turning it with your finger. Turning engine over with the hand crank should also run the gear back enough to disengage it from the flywheel ring. Are you sure it is not the generator you are hearing tunr, or clutch fingers out of adjustment.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Postby wrz » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:39 pm

I didn't use a crank to turn it over but just used the fan blade. It didn't make any noise while turning over with the fan blade until I bolted the starter back in place.

Wm

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jackman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 am

Sounds to me like its the starter gear is not retracting , Cub starters are a breeze to disassemble , I'd try breaking it down clean it up and give it another try. Me thinks with a stuck engine and a stuck valve the Cub sat long enough to also have a stuck starter motor :idea:

Return to “Farmall Cub”