This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

McCormick-Deering front blade or pile of scrap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

McCormick-Deering front blade or pile of scrap

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Well I took my front twisted bent worn out rusted McCormick-Deering front blade all apart tonight and now I am trying to decide what to do with it.

The rolled up blade itself is in good shape, it's not bent bad enough not be be abe to stick it in the press and straighten it again. The 1/4" hot rolled angle is another story it's bent all to hell and will need a new one made. The square tube frame work that everything attaches too is bent and twisted, so it wouldn't hurt to be replaced as well. The angle iron brackets that are welded to the blade had been reworked a coule of times and they have been welded back on crooked and at different heights. (these can be air-arched back off and reused)

The question is: Should I duplicate the blade as I have it and to keep it McCormick-Deering style or should I trash the idea and make it so it just works. I don't care either way, I just want a blade to move snow gravel, so having an "original" blade is no big deal to me what so ever, but if someone would be looking for one I would hate to destroy something of value to someone else.

Nothing that is bad couldn't be fixed, the most time comsuming part would be the rolled up angle, that attaches to blade and is where the blade pivots or fold, if you will if something hard it hit. That too could be reparied, but to me isn't worth the time, just roll up a new one just like it.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

John

Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Torn

Postby allenlook » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:53 pm

I'm always torn between getting it working and keeping it original. I usually err 2/3 towards original, and 1/3 towards getting it working, because if it is a cobb job it will always bother me.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:57 pm

John, If originality is not an issue for you then create a frame that suits your purpose. You can easily design and build a better blade than an original which will eliminate some of the weak areas of the IH design.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:09 am

Thanks Allen,

I am the same way with a lot of things, but for something I will use and more than likely abuse and tear up, what the heck right? You know you talk about "cobble" There is a story I always remember grandpa telling me. "You never have the time to do something right, but always find time to do it over" I use to get so tied of hearing that, but you know it hits the nail on the head.

Not to mention just about anything I do to this would be a improvement.

BIG DOG,

Do you off the top of your head know of any major weak points on this style of blade? I see a couple of things I am thinking would cause problems. the hot roll angle is a major concern, I have a feeling this may have been the first to start going and everything else followed. The other thing I see and I think is bent where it should be flat is the piece of 1/4" X 3" wide steel bar with an eye on the end, this may need to be a piece of channel, I think there should be room.

Then again how much abuse can these take, something has to go. Most likey who ever had this once upon a time used it for more things than it was intened, like maybe a bulldozer.....NAW folks don't do that do they?

Again any good ideas, please pass em along. I got to get this done, I just know snow is coming this winter and I am just to old, fat , ok just plain lazy to shovel it anymore. Plus it would be more fun to play with Puckett's Rust Bucket.

As always many thanks,

John
Machinist

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:06 am

JN... I have got to start saying that the red one is to plow snow with here in the big city, instead of my usual lame answer "no idea why I bought it , just wanted another project I guess"

I have not dug into the blade just yet, but I did ask a guy I know (also a cub owner) if he can get any old edges from the town garage. May put a new edge on the Gravely blade too. (that is one serious plow blade!) http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 422157.jpg

My plow was abused too. I think the main job of the Cub was to plow and being a northern Vermont native, it did a lot of plowing. Past the cutting edge down to the blade itself. Even the bottom of the spring is worn off. This one has a chain to 'lift' it.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:07 pm

Had the same problems as you bent in the same places aint no more.
I took some of the old & some of the new and made the model I wanted.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:19 pm

Dale,

That looks VERY, VERY nice. I am curious if you may have any pics of the underneath side where the spring mounts. Mine was so goobered welded (and broke off) that I really cound't tell what attached where.

This looks just like what I had in mind, any othe pics would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks for sharing this one.

John

PS: If you do have more pictures, and are willing to share them you may email me direct from the address here at the forum or at: n9gwv@sbcglobal.net
Machinist

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:39 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:My plow was abused too. I think the main job of the Cub was to plow and being a northern Vermont native, it did a lot of plowing. Past the cutting edge down to the blade itself. Even the bottom of the spring is worn off. This one has a chain to 'lift' it.

Larry I think most of us are harder on things that we should be. We always try to get just a little more nad alitte mor than that, then BANG it's broke. At least I know I am guilty of that.

Maybe I need to send you the blade from my 214 Deere, then you could have even one more project to play with. :wink:
John
Machinist

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:11 pm

jniekamp,
here are the pic's you wanted let me know if you want more.

http://photos.cubfest.com/index.php?cat=10032
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:44 pm

Dale,

Thanks, these are just perfect!!!!

Looks like I was already on the same track as you,

Again MANY thanks,

John
Machinist

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Arggh

Postby allenlook » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:19 am

Dale,

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you! :D :lol:

Not really - it's just my "fabrication envy" coming out. You've got some *mad skillz*!

I especially like that pin in the center, what a great idea! Maybe in another 30 years I'll figure out how to use this new mig welder and oxyacetylene torch rig I bought. Right now, I'm just trying NOT to use them on anything that I want to retain its value :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”