This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Not Charging?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Re: Cub Not Charging?

Postby jpate831 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 pm

I understand the merits of using a points file, and how it's better than sandpaper. But the generator stopped working before I ever sanded the relay points. Furthermore, it started working again BEFORE I sanded the points. And it was still working AFTER I sanded the points. And then it stopped working again, while the tractor was running. I agree that sanding probably wasn't the best choice, and maybe it wasn't even necessary. The points looked fine before I sanded. It was just a precautionary thing. But I can also see where dirty relay points could cause erratic behavior like that.

Sandy points or not, I still have a problem. My generator gets so hot I can barely touch it. Would a bad relay cause that, or do I need to be looking into the generator itself?

Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Re: Cub Not Charging?

Postby jpate831 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:53 pm

I went another round with the Cub today. I took the hood back off and cranked the tractor. It was not charging, so I jumpered the relay's BAT and GEN terminals. It immediately started charging again, so the relay does appear to be the problem.

I pulled the cap off the relay, tapped the contact a couple times, and cranked it up again and saw a charge. I shut it down, and looked at the relay a little closer. The contacts were pretty far off center. Below is a pic of it with the engine running.

RelayOffCenter.jpg

It appeared the coil side of the relay was not properly aligned with the bottom of the contact. I took a wrench and twisted the coil housing slightly until the contacts lined up better. I then filed (not sanded) the contacts to ensure a good connection. I drove the tractor with the hood off and a makeshift fuel tank a couple times. The ammeter seemed to hold a constant charge and did not fail the rest of the evening.

RelayCentered.jpg

I feel like this should work well for a good while. In your guys' experience, is this relay going to keep working, or should I replace it? I wouldn't mind messing with it occasionally if I didn't have to take off the hood to get to it. But I'd rather see that it's fixed permanently, even if it means replacing the relay. Should I replace it or leave it like it is?

Thanks.

Return to “Farmall Cub”