This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch pedal not popping back after replacing PTO lever

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Montanafarmalladdict
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 59901

Clutch pedal not popping back after replacing PTO lever

Postby Montanafarmalladdict » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Hello all. I recently replaced the "PTO Shifter Lever and Shaft" by removing the back PTO plate and pulling it out completely. I then had a bugger of a time getting the new little pin to fit in the The shaft ring so that the lever correctly moves the PTO engagement clutch ring back-and-forth. Once I got it all back together the lever was really tight on the power take off shifter rod guide but appeared to loosen up as I used it. I noticed immediately before starting it or even before reattaching the battery that the clutch pedal presses down without popping back up now. I have yet to try and start it out of fear I have something not correctly hooked up. The pedal will stay in the down position and stay in the up position but won't go to one or the other without me moving it by hand when it used to feel "spring loaded". I took off the cover to the clutch area to inspect. I have never had to deal with the clutch before but would there be a reason why this Cub worked fine when I parked it but now it's not popping in and out on it's own?

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch pedal not popping back after replacing PTO lever

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:45 pm

There's a spring on the pedal, that attaches to the floor pan. Did that pop off or break? The tractor gremlins are very active, this time of year.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi,
There should be springs on all 3 pedals under the platform to pull them up against the edge of the platform. They all use the same part number spring.
The clutch pedal probably needs oiling at it's base, where it goes into the clutch housing. They commonly get tight from no oil.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the part of the pedal that goes into the housing. The shiny surface is inside the housing, and needs oil. Put oil at the top of it next to the housing, and work the pedal up and down for some time, keep oiling it as you work it, it should loosen up.
Use penetrating oil first if it is really tight, then oil after it is loose.
When you had the round cover off the housing was a good time to grease the grease fitting on the throwout bearing.
Below is a listing for a new spring at TM Tractor. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/864fp.htm

Glad you fixed the PTO. Too bad you had trouble putting the PTO back in the tractor. The Cub service manual says to look in through the transmission oil fill hole with a light, and you can see the parts, I found it easy to align them doing that.
You didn't post more at your other post, I didn't know how you were doing. Sorry if you didn't know about that.
Below is a pic of a pedal spring, it is on a brake pedal, the clutch pedal spring is in the same position on the clutch pedal.
Attachments
Cub clutch pedal.jpg
Cub 1.jpg

Montanafarmalladdict
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Montanafarmalladdict » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
There should be springs on all 3 pedals under the platform to pull them up against the edge of the platform. They all use the same part number spring.
The clutch pedal probably needs oiling at it's base, where it goes into the clutch housing. They commonly get tight from no oil.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the part of the pedal that goes into the housing. The shiny surface is inside the housing, and needs oil. Put oil at the top of it next to the housing, and work the pedal up and down for some time, keep oiling it as you work it, it should loosen up.
Use penetrating oil first if it is really tight, then oil after it is loose.
When you had the round cover off the housing was a good time to grease the grease fitting on the throwout bearing.
Below is a listing for a new spring at TM Tractor. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/864fp.htm

Glad you fixed the PTO. Too bad you had trouble putting the PTO back in the tractor. The Cub service manual says to look in through the transmission oil fill hole with a light, and you can see the parts, I found it easy to align them doing that.
You didn't post more at your other post, I didn't know how you were doing. Sorry if I forgot to tell you about that.

Thanks guys for the fast replies. I did what you said and put some penetrating oil on the housing post of the clutch pedal. The spring was still intact just fine in the penetrating oil appeared to do nothing even after working it 20 or 30 times by moving The pedal back-and-forth. And unfortunately I just tried to engage the PTO with the lever in that same grinding sound happened that must've happened the first time when that post got ground down on the shift lever inside of the PTO clutch. So now I'm back to the drawing board and even though the tractor started up perfectly and ran like a champ, the PTO still does not work and neither does the clutch now. I will post a video on my original post about the PTO popping out of gear.

Any and all help and advice would be very much appreciated as my acreage is about 2 feet tall with grass now since this is taking me longer to fix than I thought. Oh well such is the life of working on tractors that are 60 years old! :-) I wouldn't trade it for the world though. Thanks guys.

Montanafarmalladdict
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Montanafarmalladdict » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Also here is a video I just took showing the pedal not working and the PTO shift lever once again grinding and not engaging the PTO. Back to the drawing board.

https://alumaglass.box.com/s/agv04v1hrs ... jzkt248knp

thanks for any and all advice. I'm getting discouraged on this one.

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 pm

sounds like you have a pressure plate problem the drive shaft has to stop for the PTO to be engaged.

Jim

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi,
You have to push the clutch down and wait for the shaft to stop turning, before you can shift the PTO lever to engage the PTO. The way you are doing it in the video, it will just grind, the stopped PTO clutch splines are hitting the end of the turning clutch shaft.
It is not an independent PTO, like newer tractors have.
I posted at your other post too. :)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Open the hand hole cover under the tractor. Lie on your back and shine a light up in the hole. Look slightly to the rear, and you will see the throwout bearing. This should move back and forth with the clutch pedal. Now reach up and move the clutch pedal with your hand. What happens to the throwout bearing.

For the life of me I can't think of a reason for it to be jamming with the spring in place. There is no way for the throwout bearing to bind on anything, and nothing you changed in the back would cause anything related to the clutch pedal to jam.

What else did you do to the tractor besides attempt to repair the PTO? Did you adjust anything? Hit anything? Take anything else apart? Drop anything?

bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Postby bofahs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:45 pm

I suspect you will find it likewise impossible to engage the transmission like this. Your clutch, I think, is not disengaging the engine from the drivetrain. The bulk of the force involved in returning the pedal to the upright position is provided by the clutch springs. That you can depress the pedal so easily, and that it does not return, indicates that it is improperly (or not at all) connected to the clutch throwout bearing, or the bearing is non-functional. Check page 5-9 of the Cub service manual for a diagram and adjustments. Once the clutch is properly disengaged, and you've allowed a few seconds for the drive to slow down, it is highly improbable that you could generate that high-speed gear grinding noise.

tl;dr: You don't have a problem with the PTO engagement, you have a problem with the clutch linkage or adjustment.