No matter how experienced you are, or how many times you have done something

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

No matter how experienced you are, or how many times you have done something

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:01 pm

When you do something from habit rather than thinking about what you are doing you are asking for trouble. I have been going over my loader tractor a little at a time for the last few years when I had time to work on it. Last fall I pulled the loader off again and started on the final round. It needed rear axle and differential seals and painting and I would be done. I wedged the front axles, picked it up with my engine hoist and put some cribbing under the transmission so I could pull the rear wheels and finals and go to work. A little at a time as I felt like it I replaced the needed seals, and wire wheeled and painted finals, fenders, seat, etc. including many of the small parts with the tractor setting like this for the last month or two.
2017-04-16_0188.JPG

It was a nice day today, so I decided to roll it outside and spray it with Super Clean degreaser and pressure wash it. The rear was light enough I could lift it so I got my splitting stand out and mounted it on the right side like I always do to split the tractor. I cranked it up to remove the cribbing, and when I rested my hand on the transmission to reach down and move the last pieces This happened in slow motion.

0607171427.jpg
0607171426.jpg

It rocked over far enough to hit the tool cart that was setting there with the radiator up right, and the cart moved a little and it stopped with the radiator resting against the cart. I pulled it away from the cart a little before these pictures. I have always heard the good Lord looks after fools and little children, and I am a long ways from being a little child. The only damage was a very slight bend it the top of the cart. I used my engine hoist to lift the rear end up, correct the dumb mistake I had made, and proceeded with my original plans to set the transmission on my carryall, connect a ratchet strap so it could not roll away, and back it out the door to be degreased.

As I said, I corrected my dumb mistake, and will post what it was when I get back to my computer tomorrow afternoon, but in the mean time lets see how many people can figure out what I did wrong from the clues I gave. You more experienced people will figure it out right away, but please let the less experienced people reply before you post please. There will be a prize too, it is knowing not to make the same dumb mistake I did.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: No matter how experienced you are, or how many times you have done something

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Glad you weren't hurt and no serious damage.

I think I have it figured out.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Re: No matter how experienced you are, or how many times you have done something

Postby Waif » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Good that you are alright.
Easy to build a mousetrap. Not easy testing it when you are the mouse.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Yeah, easy to make that mistake.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 am

If it could happen to John it could happen to anyone.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Shane Nelson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:14 am

Glad you weren't hurt John, that's the most important thing.
God is good, all the time!
Circle of Safety

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub

Postby T-Mo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:20 am

John,
You needed my nephew David there. Remember how easy he lifted that rear up when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

Main thing, no injuries and no major damage done.

Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 am

John, glad to see you weren't hurt or damage occurred. Also, thank you for being humble enough to share this with us in a teachable way.

Be diligent. Be safe.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am

OOPS!

clemk
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 06708
Tractors Owned: 51 cub

Postby clemk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 am

Same here. I'm glad you weren't hurt. Being one of the inexperienced guys, I think I have it figured out. If it's what I think, it is an easy thing to do without thinking. From my own experiences, I imagine you knew what happened before everything came to a whoa. Like has already been said, thank you for using it to show the less experienced like me
Circle of Safety
Belt driven is beautiful

Smokeycub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 pm

John, glad you are and everything is ok. I believe I see/know what happened. The good news is your wedges held! :coffee:
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley

The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm

The best part is you're fine and there was minimal mechanical damage. I think I have it figured out.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks everyone for their concern, but I was standing behind it and completely out of it's path. Had I been in it's fall path it was moving so slowly I could have stopped it, or had I been younger and more agile with no arthritis or back problems I could probably have made it to the front to grab it and stop it, but at a little over 69 I just watched it go, figuring it was easier to find any needed cub parts than me parts. :wink:

Here is the thing I did wrong
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:....... I got my splitting stand out and mounted it on the right side like I always do to split the tractor.........

When splitting a cub you are normally supporting the torque tube and front of transmission, which is a light load, and with the finals and both rear wheels there they stabilize the part the splitting stand is supporting. In this instance however I was supporting the rear of the engine, the torque tube and the entire transmission, which was within range of the strength of my splitting stand. The problem was that the front axle pivot is on the right side of the engine, almost in line with the steering shaft, and I also put my stand on the right side leaving the 2 points of support several inches to the right of the center line of the engine and drive train with only the weight of the right front wheel and axle to counter balance it, and that was not enough, so over it went. The really odd part was it was so close that until I laid my hand on the rear of the transmission it stayed put.

All I had to do was put a sling under the rear of the transmission and use my engine hoist to raise it and the whole thing rocked slowly back onto it's wheels. I then moved my splitting stand to the left side and all was well. I then went ahead with my plan to pick the transmission up on my carryall and roll the whole rig outdoors to commence degreasing.
0607171458.jpg

I spoke to Eugene last night, who I have learned is one of the more knowledgeable people I know as to maintaining old machinery, and he had spotted my error right off the bat, though he said he probably would have done the same thing had I not brought this up. I figure Bill Hudson as well as a few others have it figured out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Yes, John, I had it figured out. Your experience is just one of the reasons that the splitting stands I made for the torque tube are centered http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=60737, however, my stand(s) may not have prevented what happened in your particular situation. I'm just delighted that you were not hurt.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:31 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I spoke to Eugene last night, who I have learned is one of the more knowledgeable people I know as to maintaining old machinery, and he had spotted my error right off the bat, though he said he probably would have done the same thing had I not brought this up.
Glad John brought up and discussed his accident. I would have done the same thing. Force of habit, placing the splitting stand on the right side of the tractor for this job.
I have an excuse. CRS.