This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

coolant refill question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01012
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

coolant refill question

Postby marshall » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:45 am

My basic goal was this: I'm experiencing no problems with overheating but am guessing I need to increase the amount of coolant in the system because I don't see any when I open in the cap and look in. For a 1950 Cub that gets used only in the summer for mowing (at most a couple hours at a time when its between 65 and 85 degrees) I thought I'd drain it and replace with some new coolant which was question 1:

1. Owners manual says 9 1/2 qts. If I go to the auto parts store and buy some antifreeze and some distilled water, whats the correct proportion to use?

From what I've read about flushing releasing the crud that may be keeping the radiator sealed I'm thinking maybe flushing isn't a great idea right now because I need to use the tractor for mowing the field and can't afford to have a repair project be the result of trying to do the "right" thing.

2. How serious a worry is this? Is there a way of making the flush more "gentle" so it's less likely to cause a disturbance of this sort?

3. And if I just refill so it comes up to the correct level, what mix do I use?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: coolant refill question

Postby pickerandsinger » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 am

Well , if it aint broke don't fix it as the old saying goes...You probably won't see any coolant because it will seek its own level and leak excess out the overflow....No water pump, thermosyphonic system I think the word is off the top of my head..I'd add some antifreeze and be done with it...I buy a jug of antifreeze and cut it 50-50 here in upstate NY...Make sure it has the right radiator cap and no one put a pressurized cap on it....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: coolant refill question

Postby ntrenn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:51 am

Both of mine seek a level that is very deep in the radiator too...and every time i add...it pushes it out the overflow.....
What is important is to refresh the corrosion inhibitors....so i always coach to do makeup coolant at full strength. When its time to refresh...i drain a gallon and put in a gallon at full strength. Plan on a refresh every 3-5 years.
For a complete drain, i always asked the guys to add 1 gallon of full strength, then up to a gallon of water. If vehicle needed more...go 50-50 from there. Very few vehicles will need more than 8 total quarts....
If you always make up at full strength, you will never get low on freeze protection....way more important than boilover....

Return to “Farmall Cub”