This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What Oils to use for Engine and Transmission?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25617
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

What Oils to use for Engine and Transmission?

Postby punchofdeath » Sun May 28, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm going to keep in short and sweet. Cub has been sitting for about 3-4 years and the engine oil that's in it now is straight black. I haven't checked the trans. oil but I'm going to tomorrow as I didn't know how until I researched on the topic a few minutes ago. (I suspect its in dire need of changing) However that aside, I've read on some posts that oils with detergents in it could break down gunk and clog the oil lines inside the engine. I'd really rather not have that happen. I know I'm being lazy and I shouldn't :P but I think if I've pieced together all I've read correctly then this oil http://tinyurl.com/ybuwul8r (Advance Auto Parts) should do well. It's Pennzoil Rotella SAE 30. For the trans. oil I'm thinking of picking up http://tinyurl.com/y9g9ad5y (Advance Auto Parts) Lucas Oil SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil.

I'm probably gonna end up making a bunch of posts on here because I don't know too much about the Cub, hope that's alright with everyone. I have a decent mechanical knowledge but I don't know too much.

EDIT: How much transmission fluid will I need? In the Cub Info it says
EDIT2: Also would I just get a regular old oil filter? If not could someone please send me a link?
If I missed anything and someone has a question please ask and I will answer to the best of my abilities
Caleb
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: What Oils to use for Engine and Transmission?

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun May 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Oil filter, Auto Parts store ask for International C60 engine. Trans. 3 1/2 pints. Early Cubs used gear oil, later models used CaseIH HY TRAN, Read the label on the container, any HY TRAN COMPATABLE is acceptable. Engine Oil, early models used 30wt ND unless the temps get low, then 20wt, later models used blend detergent oil. If you search the topic you'll find lots of different opinions. Your Best Bet: Download the owners manual from "QUICK LINKS" tab above and follow the instructions in the book. There's lots of other lube and maintenance areas you need to know about like lube the fan shaft for example.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun May 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi,
Here is a page from a cub owner's manual showing the specs for how much oil the Cub holds.
The transmission holds 3 1/2 pints. There is a level plug low on the left side of the trans, fill it until oil comes out the little hole when the Cub is on level ground. The drain plug is on the bottom of the trans, under the platform. The filler plug is at the rear of the gear shift .
Below is the 1955 Cub owner's manual, the experts on here recommend that people read it, if you never have before. It has much info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication.

Below that is a listing at TM Tractor for a new oil filter and gaskets, if you want to see it. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2077.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/114fp.htm

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun May 28, 2017 10:36 pm

I run 15w40 all year round in the engine. No issues.
Hy tran is what is specified but any equivalent oil should be ok. Nothing special in a cub trans that a standard gear oil wont lube properly.

punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25617
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub

Postby punchofdeath » Mon May 29, 2017 1:06 am

My dad thinks the tractor is a 1959 model so I've been studying the Operator's Manual PDF I downloaded from the site. Just by reading over it there is a wealth of information in it. I've been studying the lubrication points and what not. If all goes well I'll update everyone tomorrow if I remember
Caleb
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon May 29, 2017 6:58 am

punchofdeath wrote:My dad thinks the tractor is a 1959 model ....
Easy to determine by entering your tractor SN in the tool above on the INDEX page, Cub Information and you can determine the year manufactured. If missing the SN data plate, you can check the TM tractor website and determine that by comparing the casting codes found on the major cast parts like finals, trans, torque tube, engine, bolster, etc.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon May 29, 2017 10:02 am

Oil filter = NAPA 1153 or a cross reference to it.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Mon May 29, 2017 11:50 am

I missed the hs student part....it is encouraging to see one eager to pick up the craft at your age. Read the owners manual cover to cover. Then read the shop manual. Both are available for free and will load on your ipad....

At some point, you will learn how amazing the design is - and done with slide rules to boot.

Oreilly does a pretty good job on the c60 parts too, but if you have a good dealer close they usually are competitive.

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Mon May 29, 2017 1:00 pm

ntrenn wrote:. . . At some point, you will learn how amazing the design is - and done with slide rules to boot. . .

Amen! The design in this era was approximate--didn't have the computer math models we have today. So what do you do? Add in a "little safety factor". The safety factor was the unknown and that is why so much of the older equipment is so overdesigned--they didn't want it to fail. The problem today is there isn't a 10%-20% safety factor that was inherent in the '40s-'50's. Today, the design is "right on"--except if the math model is a little off, then there is a problem.

I was at a conference a few years ago. An engineer for Boeing was there and they were designing one of the new Boeing "700" series aircrafts. Obviously the wing is very important and you can't have it fail. The structural design was all done with math modeling. However, he said, that they still take a wing from the new aircraft and "break it" with full instrumentation (strain gauges, etc.) to verify the math model and to see how close they were, on the design, to the failure point. This is very costly, to break a perfect wing, but it is extremely critical and they have to do it. The increase in design technology each year is unbelievable, but there is no replacement for real world testing.

John M.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 29, 2017 1:15 pm

JohnMihevic wrote:. . . However, he said, that they still take a wing from the new aircraft and "break it" with full instrumentation (strain gauges, etc.) to verify the math model and to see how close they were, on the design, to the failure point. . . .

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon May 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi,
The 1955 owner's manual has more info in it than the 1959 owner's manual. I would recommend reading the 1955 owner's manual also. The Cubs are pretty much the same, except for the hoods and grilles.
The 1955 manual has info about changing the Touch Control fluid, the 1959 manual doesn't, as I remember. The air must be removed a certain way as you fill the system with fluid, which is explained in the 1955 manual. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”