This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter wont turn but still gets power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25617
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Starter wont turn but still gets power

Postby punchofdeath » Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 pm

I have a late 50s Farmall Cub and it's been sitting for about 3-4 years now. Back when it was last running, the battery on the back got over charged and it exploded. It sat there for a few years unfortunately, (bit of a back story, I'm 17, its my grampas tractor (moms side) and my dad was keeping the tractor running after my grampa passed away in 2005. my dad forgot it on charge for about 3 days about 3-4 years ago and the battery exploded and sat there. until about a week ago when I decided I was gonna work on it. I cleaned up the old battery and then put on a battery that's about 5 years old off of an S10. It still holds about 11.3 volts and the tractor is on a 6 volt system with positive ground.) ANYWAYS, the other day when my dad and I tried to crank it to see if the battery would work the starter just made a little click like it tried to engage then it wouldn't do anything. Today we tried it again and it still does nothing. We took the starter off and gave it power without it on the tractor and it still didn't turn. Although, it still drops the voltage below 1 when the switch engages. We took it completely off and tried to take the brushes out but the bolts are stuck. While we had it off we were turning it by hand with a short screw driver and it still turns with relative ease.

Oh, and one last thing. I thought of it when I finished writing the main part. The battery reads the same amount of voltage as the starter so I dont think there is anything wrong with the cable between the battery and the starter.

If I left any information out then please ask. I'll try to answer your question to the best of my abilities

EDIT: Engine isn't locked up either. I can put it in gear and pull it with our ATV and feel it cranking. It doesn't have any gas in the tank so I dont have to worry about flooding it or anything
Caleb
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Starter wont turn but still gets power

Postby Eugene » Sun May 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Weak or not charged up 12 volt battery.

You need to prime the oil pump before you try to start or crank over the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby punchofdeath » Sun May 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Eugene wrote:Weak or not charged up 12 volt battery.

You need to prime the oil pump before you try to start or crank over the engine.

OK, battery was dead. We just happen to have another out there and tried out. Please inform me on how to prime the oil pump.
Caleb
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun May 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Welcome. I see this is your 2nd post.

Top of home page, read Welcome Wagon Text and then go to the manuals section of this site.

How to prime the oil pump? Search function, top of home page. This topic has been discussed many times and with how to photos.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun May 28, 2017 8:07 pm

punchofdeath wrote:....ANYWAYS, the other day when my dad and I tried to crank it to see if the battery would work the starter just made a little click like it tried to engage then it wouldn't do anything. Today we tried it again and it still does nothing. We took the starter off and gave it power without it on the tractor and it still didn't turn....
It's possible your starter has a bad armature (I have a CUB starter that has that problem) or other internal problems. Remove the switch that the pull rod connects to and try powering the starter directly to the nub post that's protruding from the starter. If that does not turn it your starter needs repaired. If it turns with jumping, replace/repair the switch.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun May 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi,
Here is a post below where I wrote how to prime the oil pump, it is the 2nd post on the page.
Sometimes when a Cub sits for time, the oil pump loses it's prime, and won't suck up oil from the oil pan when the engine runs again. Then you need to prime the oil pump.

The starter could have wornout brushes, or worn bushings, then the armature will rub on the magnets in the starter, that makes it turn slowly, or the commutator is dirty, and the brushes don't make contact good enough that the starter will work. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96758

punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby punchofdeath » Sun May 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Sorry it's took me a while. The old battery was dead as a hammer. We put another on it we had sitting in the garage and it cranked like a champ. I didnt crank for just a second or two because its been sitting and its a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt system.
Caleb
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun May 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Don't forget about the oil pressure!!
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby punchofdeath » Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 am

We just cranked it a bit to make sure it worked. It doesn't have any gas in it yet. Not to mention I've still got to prime the oil pump as Glen mentioned
Caleb
Circle of Safety

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Sounds like you need to prime the oil pump and get a battery and give it some gas. May just fire up!

Return to “Farmall Cub”