This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ignition System overhaul

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Ignition System overhaul

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Sudden loss of power on a tractor that had been running great makes me think it's time to check the fuel line for crud. Again. I have to do this myself again as soon as I run it out of gas...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tldec50
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere

Postby tldec50 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:24 pm

I had the same problem back in the spring with my green tractor and I changed the condensor and its been running fine since.Might give that a try since it is easy.Thanx,Tim

LilCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30025
Tractors Owned: "Bessie" - 73' International Cub with Fast Hitch

Postby LilCub » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Rjpoog1989 wrote:I was in the same boat as you about a month ago, completely ready to give up hope. I did a compression test and compression was low. I followed instructions on here to adjust the valves. I also poured some seafoam down the spark plug holes. Converted the ignition system to pertronix with a flamethrower coil. Now my cub runs better than I've seen it!

Don't give up hope, there's enough information on this forum to get her going. Just takes patience, which if you're like me can be hard to come by.

Crimson Tim wrote:Sudden loss of power on a tractor that had been running great makes me think it's time to check the fuel line for crud. Again. I have to do this myself again as soon as I run it out of gas...

tldec50 wrote:I had the same problem back in the spring with my green tractor and I changed the condensor and its been running fine since.Might give that a try since it is easy.Thanx,Tim

Thanks for the encouragement and tips.

It may be overkill but hopefully what I have planned will solve the problem, if not it stuff that needs doing anyway. Spark plugs may be original, haven't pulled them yet but look as old as me and I can see the plug wires are cracked, etc.. So here is what I have on order.

Strainer bowl cork gasket, strainer screen, new solid fuel line, Fuel bowl gasket, IH needle valve (mine has rubber tip), Carb gasket, points/condenser, rotor, cap, plug wires, D21 plugs.

After that's all in I will check valve adjustment and timing then see how she does. *fingers crossed*
:tractor:

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi,
That sounds like a good tune up. If the parts look worn, or not good, they need replacing so the engine will run good.
If you have the carburetor apart, clean it inside well, and blow out all the passages with air. Wear your safety glasses when using the air. :)

LilCub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LilCub » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:37 am

Ordered parts from TM Tuesday afternoon and they arrived today, just in time for the weekend! If it wasn't date night with the wife tonight I'd be elbow deep already.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi,
The float height in the carburetor should be set exactly when you have it apart, maybe you knew already.
Here is a page from the Cub service manual with info, the IH carb is in the upper pics on the page. The float height is 1 13/32", measured like in the lower right pic of the Zenith carb, with the upper half upside down, but without having the gasket in place. The IH carb and the Zenith have different specs.
The float drop should be checked too. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-09.jpg

rmichalski
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03051

Postby rmichalski » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Greetings,
I'm new to the forum and new to the Farmall Cub. Just bought a 1955 Cub with original and modified wiring. The dash panel can be removed. The bottom, I think, bolts are a lump of rusted steel. The very bottom of the dash panel is rusted away. Replacement coming. Please let me know if these lumps are bolts and thread into the torque tube plate? I will make 2 flats on the lumps, Dremel tool, and add a little heat, PB Blaster then use vise grips to remove.
I enjoy the info available on this forum. Looking forward to advise on "Lump" removal.
Thanks in advance. Dick Michalski
Dick Michalski
Farmall Cub 1955, Fast Hitch and with hydraulics and adjustable front axles, 6 volt Battery Ignition.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Yes those are bolts. You may find the same problem if you try to remove the battery box. For future questions you might want to start a new thread so the title reflects your question. As soon as you have two posts, you can access all the manuals by clicking on "Quick links" (upper left) and then "PDF Manuals".

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

LilCub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LilCub » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Well I thought it was good and then it just stopped..

Replaced Condenser and points, New Rotor button and cap, Spark plugs and wires and coil. Also installed a new fuel bowl screen and gasket while I had the tank off. Charged it up and she started first time I turned the key. Idled it up a little to let her warm up and walked off happy. 2 minutes later she shut off and now wont start. Took the carb off, cleaned it out, screen looked good, replaced needle valve (had rubber tipped one and I replaced with metal IH original). Put it back together and still nothing.

I am at a loss... :help:

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Rjpoog1989 wrote:
LilCub wrote: adjust the valves. I also poured some seafoam down the spark plug holes. Converted the ignition system to pertronix with a flamethrower coil.

These suggestions are modest cost, low risk, low to moderate skill level, need only basic tools and get the most results for the $ and time invested.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

LilCub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LilCub » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Went back to step one and no spark at coil, Checked with multimeter and have power to the coil but nothing between coil and distributer with wire disconnected. The fact that it cranked right up and ran then shut off has me concerned. I am about to push her back in the shed, the disappointment is overwhelming.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Hang in there you are close

"checked with multimeter and have power to the coil" what was the voltage reading to the coil?

"with wire disconnected." you mean with high voltage wire from the coil to the center of the distributor.

You said you replace the coil - assuming it is good - Check all of the connections on the coil ( small wires not the high voltage wires and check both ends of the wires ), inspect the coil wires ( small wires) for shorts ( bad insulation on the wires) and push all spark plug wires down on the spark plugs and in the distributor cap

If the above does not work try another coil either new or the old coil and see if that works. Once you get it running consider the pertronix electronic ignition.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi,
You might have gotten a defective coil or condenser, the engine will not run if either one of them quits. :)

LilCub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LilCub » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 am

Finally figured it out. Somehow when I installed the points I bent the spring piece that bolts to the stud inside the distributor. After running a few minutes it broke loose and grounded out which explains why it shut off. Installed another set and hand cranked her on the first turn. Mowed about 2 hours and no quit in her, mower running and up hill, pulls great.

Thanks for all the help. Now to get this grass knocked down... :tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”