This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

5/8" bolt tap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mark1757
10+ Years
10+ Years

5/8" bolt tap

Postby mark1757 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:31 pm

I’ve recently drilled out a broken bolt from the”bar socket” / “tractor mounting casting” and I now need to get the tap to finish the job.
The Owner’s Manual Setting Up Instructions McCormick Cub-22 Mower (41/2 and 5-ft. Cut) for use with Farmall Cub Tractor page 12 Illustration 10 #2 states
“Insert the Drag Bar Support into the bar socket at the front end of the tractor and secure the drag bar support with a 5/8 x 1-1/2” set screw.”

Does anyone have any experience using a tap to create new threads?
What make/model/size of the tap do I need/use in order to make these threads?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :D
Mark
"But the Farmall Cub is part of the family, we could never sell it." My wife. 4/9/2007

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:07 pm

Mark, if you are just cleaning up the threads from where you drilled the bolt out you can use a 5/8 - 11 NC bottom tap to clean the existing threads up.
If you were starting from scratch you would begin with a taper tap to form the threads and then finish up with a plug tap or bottom tap to create the threads clear through the hole.
Any good hardware store should have the taps. The tool dept. at Sears and Lowe's etc. also carry them. A tap wrench is also a good investment.

There are 3 basic tap configurations, taper taps, plug taps and bottom taps. There are also dozens of varities of specialty taps for specific uses including pipe taps. Bottom taps allow you to thread blind holes clear to the bottom. Many times you can thread a through hole with a plug tap all the way through.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:24 pm

The reason they want you to use a set screw is that ir wont flatten out on the end so that the wallowed threads make it impossible to remove or if you can get it out you destroy the threads. If the threads are destroyed and the hole is too big to retap you will have to use a helicoil. Helicoils use an insert in a larger hols that is threaded with a special tap made just for that purpose. The insert will be the threads for your bolt.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Threads

Postby allenlook » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:55 pm

Mark,

In drilling out the old bolt, did you damage or remove the original threads? If the old threads are in relatively intact condition, and simply need to be "chased" then perhaps you can use a single tap ($$ for one that size), or another bolt with grooves cut lengthways to act as a makeshift tap ($).

If your threads are now gone or damaged irretrievably, you can tap the hole to the new (over)size and use a larger bolt ($), or you can tap it oversize and insert a heli-coil ($$$). The correct hole size for the heli-coil will be some odd x/32" size and the drill bit of that size will cost quite a bit, and then the heli-coil and insert tool will also cost quite a bit (in my stingy estimation.)
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”