This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub hydraulics wont work.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 169174

Cub hydraulics wont work.

Postby Alan Gee » Thu May 11, 2017 8:49 pm

The touch control case was leaking pretty bad but everything still worked if I just kept filling the oil up. I ordered a rebuild kit and installed it. Everything inside look pretty good except the piston O- ring and the strainer . I took out al the check valves and washed everything with carb cleaner and blew it out with air . Got it back together and now it wont work at all.
Its an early touch control from early 1950 and I have not found a good exploded view of this unit. I watched the video on the Steiner tractor site with the girl . The system she worked on was a new one than mine so not too much help. I have tried several sites to see if anyone really knows about the hydraulic system on an early cub but I keep getting over run with people with just guessing . Like I mentioned the thing worked prior to the fix and that is so frustrating. Many replys said your oil pump is not working . It was working and I did replace the O-ring on the shaft last year . There is not much that can go wrong with the pump or is there. why would it work one day ago and not today when I did nothing to the pump.
When I operate the lever the rock shaft will slowly rise but I can stop it with two fingers, if I set the lever to move it the other direction,,nothing at all unless I press on the plow arm to lower it. Oh and yes there is oil in it. Has anyone ever had this problem ?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub hydraulics wont work.

Postby Glen » Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi,
Here are pages from the Cub parts manual of the older style Touch Controls. The parts in the 2 rectangles are used only on some Touch Controls, it tells the Cub serial numbers in the info. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 010-02.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 010-03.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 010-04.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Did you see this "how to"? viewtopic.php?f=141&t=89514 Also, did you replace the pin seal in the pump (a small black cylinder about 3/16" in diameter)?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Fri May 12, 2017 5:02 am

Oh boy,,now you have me wondering. Looking at this information and drawings I remember every part except the safety valve piston. Item 15 in the list.
Wondering if that piston slides out from the same side the spring does or is it trapped and comes out from the other end ?

Bob McCarty. It was a year ago that I had the pump apart due to the shaft seal leaking oil into the crank case. The system was working fine the day I took it apart. I took it apart to fix the massive oil leak in the control chest.

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Fri May 12, 2017 8:04 am

Oh Boy Oh Boy , could be in trouble. Should I be able to look down the cylinder that the safety valve cup sits in and see the end of the piston ( item 15 ) after removal of the cup with the hole in it? If so I think the piston got lost some how. I cleaned up after the first go around and threw away the plastic bags the parts had been in . It may have been stuck to the side of one of them ...If no one has a piston can anyone give me the dimensions. I have a South Bend lathe and may be able to make one.

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Mon May 15, 2017 7:44 am

OK I messed up good. Some how I managed to loose the little safety piston. Item #15 in the above drawing. I searched for it now for 4 days and I fear it went out in the trash with the rags I used to sop up oil. Any one have one ? or Know where I can buy one? The so called "piston" is only maybe 1/4 inch in diameter and maybe an inch long . I guess it fell out and I did not see it fall.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Mon May 15, 2017 8:23 am

Alan Gee wrote:OK I messed up good. Some how I managed to loose the little safety piston. Item #15 in the above drawing. I searched for it now for 4 days and I fear it went out in the trash with the rags I used to sop up oil. Any one have one ? or Know where I can buy one? The so called "piston" is only maybe 1/4 inch in diameter and maybe an inch long . I guess it fell out and I did not see it fall.

Alan you could try JP Tractor Salvage, they may have a TC unit that they broke down for parts.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:42 am

I looked it up on Messick's website, it's no longer available and I can't believe the price!!!

Case: PISTON
Part Number 351867R1
Vendor Case
Messick's Price $81.49
Stock Quantity 0
Weight 0.00 lbs
Days to Order 3-7 business days
A part on your order has been discontinued. We allow the ordering of discontinued parts because Messick's has several places to source these items after the manufacturer has ended support. Inventories in these warehouses are not available electronically. We encourage you to place an order, and we will do our best to locate the parts you need..
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 am

Place an ad here on the vine. JoeB happened to have one when I had the same problem
Thomas