This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Here -What is this worth (ballpark) ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
billrigsby
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 80816

New Here -What is this worth (ballpark) ?

Postby billrigsby » Tue May 02, 2017 7:55 am

I am new here and ran across this yesterday and want to approach the property owner
and see if he/she is interested in getting rid of it. I just finished a Kubota Grey Market
restoration and need another project.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thekubotaproject/photos/?tab=albums

It looks to be mostly there, what is parts availability like?

I could not find a way to attach pictures? so there is a link to Drop Box where I have the pictures stored

Thanks, Bill

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mo11znqq493x3pa/AADo9qEAPCU-tjYTOAvsXj3da?dl=0

billrigsby
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: New Here -What is this worth (ballpark) ?

Postby billrigsby » Tue May 02, 2017 9:14 am

Well now I can post pics, but they are all too big :x

I will re-size tonight and post, I know people are shy when it comes to external links :mrgreen:

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue May 02, 2017 10:14 am

Thumbnails showed up, but only two or three would show up for me. Need more info. Looks to be in okay shape, but I couldn't tell if exhaust has a cover. Is engine stuck? It has depth lever, sickle pulley, swinging drawbar(mounted incorrectly), Weights, universal mounting frame. Implements in the deal? Lift rod does not appear to be factory
Last edited by tmays on Tue May 02, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am

Parts are pretty much available. It looks like it has sat for some time. Only the 193 plow sitting behind it is for a Cub, the rest of the stuff is not Cub related. There is no cover on the exhaust, so if it has been that way for a while you will have engine problems. As a non runner I would say no more than $300.00-400.00 for the Cub and MAYBE another for the plow with the lever and hardware for it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue May 02, 2017 11:57 am

Insert erroneous post here. Intended to edit post, but hit quote button without realizing. Couldn't delete. Lol
Last edited by tmays on Tue May 02, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Does the engine spin? Do the tires hold air?

Your zip code is Colorado. You may want to check the part number on the head and see if it has a high altitude head
If you get it cheap enough like Barnyard suggests it will not matter. just something to consider in the rebuild

Like Barnyard wrote the open exhaust is an issue. I would assume and price as parts tractor and hope for the best. There is a lot there to work with. If I bought it I would pull the head first and not try to start it. Then decide what you to do.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

billrigsby
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby billrigsby » Tue May 02, 2017 3:29 pm

inairam wrote:Does the engine spin? Do the tires hold air?

Your zip code is Colorado. You may want to check the part number on the head and see if it has a high altitude head
If you get it cheap enough like Barnyard suggests it will not matter.

Well that's a good question, does the engine spin, I tried squeezing the fan belt and turning the fan blades but I couldn't get anything to rotate, feeling the nut it feels like my 48 Dodge I think it has the fitting to put a hand crank in it, any idea what size bolt that is?

Front tires are tubed and the tubes look to be shot rear tires are holding air they may or may not be tubed but I'm not sure of a tractor of this age.

Is the head part number visible perhaps with a mirror and a flashlight without removing the entire Hood assembly? I will look into that high altitude head if possible.

Thanks for everyone's comments, I'm definitely not in a big rush for a project so if I can get it pretty cheap I may grab it up time will tell waiting to hear back from the owner.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue May 02, 2017 3:38 pm

HI Bill, I live in Longmont and have some Cubs. I wouldn't worry too much about whether it has the high altitude head, I think it was just shaved to increase compression. My biggest concern would be the cost of an engine rebuild which may be likely if the exhaust has been uncovered that long. All four tires would be tubed, but if the tires have dry rotted they may need replacement too. Feel free to call me if you have questions, I PM'd you my phone #.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 02, 2017 3:49 pm

There are probably more implements for the tractor, some where near by. Pulley indicates sickle bar mower and the universal mount, cultivator? Guessing, dish harrow, and peg toothed harrow, also.

Wouldn't hurt to go talk to the owner. If he is interested in selling, inventory the implements, then return here to obtain the parts manuals. You want to make sure all the implement parts are there.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Tue May 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Tough question. So how much is your budget? It will define the boundaries of the risk you are willing to take and the dollars you are willing to spend. A non-runner - I think Barnyard is right on! If you let the gotta have bug bite you you are lost and cost becomes moot. Ask me how I know this!

I wanted my 48 (my first Cub - bet you can't own just one) to be a reliable runner and working tractor but knew nothing about them. So to know what I can about the machine I have torn it down completely and as I am putting it back together, fixing and replacing the parts that have been jury rigged or substituted that do not meet original specs such as bolts of the right strength, etc. Expensive, yes, but with the help of this forum I am slowly getting to my goal.

Now, when I look to buy another one of these guys I first think about the value of the parts value as salvage. I know that the value of even a non-runner here can yield as much as $1,000 parting it out (selling its parts such as touch control, fenders, hood, seat, instrument panel, touch control, rims, wheel weights, bolts, etc., etc., etc.) You might want to check some web sites such as JP Tractor Salvage, DE Farmallcubs, TM Tractor Salvage, Steiner Tractor Parts and get a feel for parts costs. Look it over for obvious signs of neglected use. Pull the grill screen off and see if the castings have been welded to repair cracks same for the final housings, mounting flange ears on the engine block, and the head and signs of water in all of the oils. These rigs are fairly bullet proof but a junk engine would probably relegate it to just parts salvage.

In addition to my project 48 Cub I recently paid about $900 ea for two other 48 cub runners which included a 193 plow, draw bar, Cub-22 mower. One had a touch control the other the manual lift. Both had wheel weights and rear rock shaft assemblies. All the attachments with their mounting hardware alone were worth about $1,600 out here.

PS Just visited a owner of a 48 cub he picked up for $2,000 that runs great and is being used on his small farm. It had a touch control, awsome custom step, engine braces, fasthitch, and also came with a trailer full of implements such as 194 plow, Cub 22 mower, discs and several other farm implements. The seller would have given him a hay rake but he didn't have any room left on his car hauler.

Done running my mouth. One of these tractors is worth what you are willing to pay for it and that is influenced by how much you want it. They are homely in a beautiful way.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue May 02, 2017 5:55 pm

There is a lot there in terms of parts. The sheet metal looks good, you have the lights, wheel weights, cultivator parts, the draw bar. Assume the engine is toast and look for more attachments.

The price is very dependant on location. Barnyard gets very good prices in his area for Cubs that do little more than cast a shadow. On the east coast in my area, that tractor would be yard art and you could not get to owners to give up Grand Pa's tractor for $1000-$2000. I spent 550-900 for most of my all ran that people wanted to get rid of ( except one with a IH1000 loader. I paid up for that). My best deal I think was 700 delivered with c-2 mower, grader blade/snow plow and a 57 that just barely ran.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

billrigsby
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby billrigsby » Wed May 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Well the owner contacted me and His Grandfather bough that tractor new and he wants to keep it :(

Wish he would take better care of it. :oops:

Thanks again for all you great comments, the new project search continues.

Bill