This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods 42-CL Mower Blades

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Woods 42-CL Mower Blades

Postby lyle11 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:22 am

I recently bought a Woods 42-CL mower. I am painting the parts and it will be months before I install it on my Lowboy. I downloaded the Woods 42-CL manual and I am confused about the installation of the blades.

My first question, the manual says the spindle rotates clockwise, do they mean clockwise looking at it from the top down, or from the bottom looking up?

The blades are installed in the spindle "crossbar" and pivot around a pin. At the end of the crossbar is a welded stop that prevents the blades from moving further so, at this point the blades are in line at 180 degrees from each other. The drawing shows the sharpened edge of the blade pointing in the direction of the stop at end of the crossbar. But, when the blades that came with the mower are installed in this configuration, the beveled edge of the blade is facing down toward the ground. (Opposite of a simple lawn mower where the surface of the blade that is ground or filed faces up.)

I have attached a photo. The blade I am holding to the left of the blade that is inserted into the crossbar is positioned with the bevel facing up, as I would expect, and is the opposite of the blade that is installed into the crossbar. I put it there because it is hard to see what I am referring to with regard to the installed blade.

Do I have the wrong blades?

IMG_0602.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Woods 42-CL Mower Blades

Postby Scrivet » Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Your picture isn't showing for me.
Clockwise looking down on it from the drivers seat. Most grass will be thrown to the right. The blade should have the cutting edge to the rear on the right side with the trailing edge fin bent up towards the sky. Centrifugal force will keep the blades extended and (I think) against the stops as they spin. The blades should be able to "fold back" as they swing around and encounter, say a stump.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Scrivit has nailed it!!!! that is correct!---My regular 42's have cutting edge installed just like lawn mower,-- bevel facing up! thanks; sonny

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 am

Thanks for the replies. Your description is exactly as pictured in the Woods manual. The blades that were installed on the mower look the same, but reversed for a mower that rotates CCW. The manual says some of the Woods 42 mowers rotate CCW. Not sure who last used this mower, and I don't recall how they were installed when I took the mower apart, but the blades are definitely not the right ones for this mower.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 am

iI'll be interested to see if you find "correct" blades where the bevel faces up. My Woods dealer didn't find them or mention them, so I have blades with the bevel down. They cut just fine that way.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue May 02, 2017 5:09 am

I agree with Rick. Woods only has the blades that have the bevel toward the ground. I have blades that bevel points up, but have no idea as to source. They were on mower when I acquired it. From time to time, folks post on here looking for blades, but I have not seen anyone come up with a source for the 'correct'(bevel turned up) blade for these mowers.
I don't think you'll be able to tell a difference in performance on these mowers no matter which way blade bevel is turned
Thomas

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue May 02, 2017 6:32 am

I'm with Rick and Thomas. New Woods blades even said "this side down" with the bevel facing the ground. Cuts just fine.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue May 02, 2017 9:36 am

Bill E Bob wrote:I'm with Rick and Thomas. New Woods blades even said "this side down" with the bevel facing the ground. Cuts just fine.

I also have mine on upside down and does just as good as the correct way and they only cost $ 10.00 a set.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 am

If you are cutting weeds or light brush as in clearing a field, the blades you have will work. If you want to to make something look nice such as a yard, you need the correct blades.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I bought the mower from a guy who never actually used it so asking him how it cut wasn't an option. The drawing in the manual shows the beveled side of the blade facing up, which is what threw me off. I wasn't so much concerned about the bevel facing up or down as the way the blade tilts, which is impossible to determine from the drawing in the manual. I finally got photos to attach from my IPhone so you can see what I mean. The blade that is inserted into the crossbar has the blade installed with the beveled side down. The blade I am holding on the left is to show the tilt of the blade. It will be inverted once installed. This will mean the cutting edge of the blade will be closer to the ground than the trailing edge which is what I have always seen on a mower. I just thought maybe for some unknown reason it was different on this mower and figured now was the best time to find out. I was overthinking it I guess. I will be using the mower for situations where my fields get too high to cut with my Woods 59, so I am not expecting a real neat cut.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Attachments
IMG_0615.JPG

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Not picking nits with John, but I cut our centipede yard with upside down bevels and it looks as good as any zero-turn, which I have also used on said yard.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”