This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub hard to start. Compression?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub hard to start. Compression?

Postby Waif » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Sometimes you guys make me think I used too much turd polish and paid too much for it besides.
Then I go check out the pricey turd and smile.

You're likely right and Eahl can crank I t up with a12 volt batt. and plan on a rebuild or swap out if compression can not be increased. Even readings suggest uniform/ even wear.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat May 13, 2017 3:46 am

Waif wrote:Sometimes you guys make me think I used too much turd polish and paid too much for it besides.
Then I go check out the pricey turd and smile...

.Not quite sure of the meaning of that ,but personally knowing several of the members that replied, no one is advocating that scenario...Most of us have rebuilt , refurbished or whatever you wish to call it, several cubs...What you read is guys trying to answer a forum members question with reference to their experience...Don't recall anyone advocating spending a huge amount of money on a trailer queen or such...Personally of the 6 cubs I have, I have a grand total of 4500 dollars purchase price...But they all needed work and I have received a lot of support and advice from several members that responded to this post..They all are working tractors..If someone made you feel like a " Turd ", you can flush that feeling... :D ....No one intentionally did that....

You're likely right and Eahl can crank I t up with a12 volt batt. and plan on a rebuild or swap out if compression can not be increased. Even readings suggest uniform/ even wear.
In Memory of 58,286

Eahlemeier
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47523

Postby Eahlemeier » Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am

I appreciate all the help guys, been out of the garage for a couple weeks now.... needed a break lol. Will hit back at it hard tonight and see what I can do. When running g after pull start everything seems great. Sounds and runs smooth. Iv been leaning toward rebuilding it. Just gotta push myself to do it... I'll get back with you all once I figure out what I'll try next

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 am

Good luck but with only 55PSI compression there's not much you can do without digging into the engine to some degree. It's never going to start off the starter, especially on 6 Volts, and there's no adjustment or spray product that will fix that much compression loss.

It's a long shot but if the engine has been setting up for a long time the rings could be stuck, but to fix that you'd still need to pull all the pistons.

You can pull the head pretty easily and get a better idea for the condition of the cylinders and valves. Feel for a heavy ridge at the tops of the cylinders. That will indicate that the cylinder bore is worn and needs to be bored out, and new pistons and rings installed. You'll need to borrow a ridge reamer tool to get the old pistons out.

If the ridge is not bad or nonexistent you can try honing the cylinders and installing new rings. A so-called "ring job" is generally frowned on by the community but sometimes if you just want a simple runner/driver for a few hours a year, and don't want to drop $2000 on parts and machine work, it's a quick n dirty alternative to a full rebuild.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am

pickerandsinger wrote:
Waif wrote:Sometimes you guys make me think I used too much turd polish and paid too much for it besides.
Then I go check out the pricey turd and smile...

.Not quite sure of the meaning of that ,but personally knowing several of the members that replied, no one is advocating that scenario...Most of us have rebuilt , refurbished or whatever you wish to call it, several cubs...What you read is guys trying to answer a forum members question with reference to their experience...Don't recall anyone advocating spending a huge amount of money on a trailer queen or such...Personally of the 6 cubs I have, I have a grand total of 4500 dollars purchase price...But they all needed work and I have received a lot of support and advice from several members that responded to this post..They all are working tractors..If someone made you feel like a " Turd ", you can flush that feeling... :D ....No one intentionally did that....

Just noticed your reply.
No ,no one made me feel like a turd. L.o.l..
Just a lot of hours into " polishing" one , a.k.a. replacing ,rebuilding ,ect. on a tired tractor has it's eventual rewards evenwhen starting with a poor specimen. ( if one can afford such hard to recover time and money).
Or in my case too ,sure teaches what to look for in the next tractor!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Eahlemeier wrote:Timings good.
Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light? Checking the spark/distributor advance at low and high idle.

Distributor mechanical advance could be stuck/frozen at or near high idle.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 pm

You may be able to get by with reringing and touching up the valves. My loboy had 0.120 ring end gap when i pulled it down. Standard rings brought it back to 0.020...almost spec.
55 psi is usually too low for an engine to start.

Eahlemeier
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Eahlemeier » Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 am

Well tore into the distributor AGAIN last night, went back through the time up kit and their was a peice with the points that was a little off/cracked in the metal. Not sure if it was allowing correct spark in distributor but I know I was getting spark at the plug. Anyway it's now replaced and also new spark plugs. Got it a little out of time but it got late last night so I'll correct that issue this evening and get back with everyone! Thanks guys

Eahlemeier
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Eahlemeier » Wed May 24, 2017 10:02 am

If this issue doesn't seem to help things I think I may just bite the bullet and start a rebuild :(

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed May 24, 2017 10:27 am

Spoke to the ag mechanics director at the county ag school, last night, about a cub CubitisNH's widow, donated to the school, a non runner, from a stash Mike collected, for retirement projects. Rings were stuck, in the pistons. Bore was good, only needed honing. Valves needed grinding, and seats refaced. This is an example of what you "might" find, at tear down.
One of the reasons I say that they need valve work. Every one I've torn down, has needed something done to the valves, cleaning and lapping, to grinding, and seat refacing, to replaced seats, and valves!
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eahlemeier
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Eahlemeier » Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Ok so where I'm currently at now is I have power at the distributor but no spark at the plug? Any suggestions? And this wasn't an issue a few weeks ago so now I'm currently screwing more things up than I am fixing lol

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu May 25, 2017 10:36 pm

Eahlemeier wrote:Ok so where I'm currently at now is I have power at the distributor but no spark at the plug? Any suggestions? And this wasn't an issue a few weeks ago so now I'm currently screwing more things up than I am fixing lol
Does "power at the distributor" mean the points arc as they open and close with the ignition switch on? If not, determine why and repair/replace. Once you get the points to arc as they open and close, remove the wire from the center of the distributor cap and hold it about 1/4 inch from a good clean ground (engine block, etc) and crank the engine with the switch on. A good blue spark should jump the gap to ground as the engine is turning. If not, replace the coil and try again.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eahlemeier
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Eahlemeier » Fri May 26, 2017 7:43 am

staninlowerAL wrote:
Eahlemeier wrote:Ok so where I'm currently at now is I have power at the distributor but no spark at the plug? Any suggestions? And this wasn't an issue a few weeks ago so now I'm currently screwing more things up than I am fixing lol
Does "power at the distributor" mean the points arc as they open and close with the ignition switch on? If not, determine why and repair/replace. Once you get the points to arc as they open and close, remove the wire from the center of the distributor cap and hold it about 1/4 inch from a good clean ground (engine block, etc) and crank the engine with the switch on. A good blue spark should jump the gap to ground as the engine is turning. If not, replace the coil and try again.

Yes I am getting spark at the points, and thank you I will try as soon as I'm home

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm

We lived through hard starting for years, even after converting to 12 volt. In the end...bad starter brushes were the culprit.
My 63 with original everything inside the engine has over 100 psi compression. The 65 came to me with a stuck piston, stuck worn out rings, completely abused and worn out. After getting it unstuck and ignoring excessive wrist pin clearance...new rings on clean pistons, flex honed cylinders, touched up valves it runs almost as strong as the 63. You will have upwards of 300 in parts and supplies....but it's well worth it. Ore illy and Napa are your friends..and you can do it without splitting the tractor...

No spark at plug.....condenser or coil or close points...

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri May 26, 2017 9:33 pm

If the problem continues, load it up and bring it to the Bash next weekend. There will be plenty of hands on help available.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety