This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Loses Power while cutting grass

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62903

Cub Loses Power while cutting grass

Postby 49Cub2017 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:18 pm

This started last grass cutting season. Cub runs fine and then starts acting like it's fuel starved. It continues to run, but with much less power and if I just let it run like that after about 30 seconds or so it usually starts running ok again. I've replaced the fuel bowl assembly and fuel line, and that didn't help. I notice it doesn't usually start doing this until after it's been running awhile and is hot. So now I'm starting to suspect it might be electrical. But, if that's the case, why does it sort itself out if I just let it continue to run? Could this be either a bad coil or regulator? I have noticed that if I pull on full choke while it's doing this it sometimes runs better. So that suggests a problem with the carb. I just don't understand why it's an intermittent problem. I does seem to be happening more and more often and so does seem to be getting worse. When it first started it might happen once or twice in a 2 hour run, but now it's more like a dozen times and is really starting to get aggravating! Any suggestions for what I might try next to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Loses Power while cutting grass

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Electrical problems don't usually clear themselves. Sounds like dirt in the fuel tank or perhaps a sticking float in the carb. Another possibility is a plugged vent in the fuel tank cap.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Mine had this problem last fall. I cleaned out the carb jet, and then cleaned out a bunch of caked on crud that was in the sediment bowl itself. However mine never sorted itself out. Eventually the engine would die because it was using more fuel than was getting to the motor. If you are having to choke it there is a fuel restriction problem some where.

Also when I was getting mine to run I noticed that if I had to much tension on the main drive belt it will bog the engine down. But it doesn't sound like that was the problem.
Shawn Agne

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Agree with ShawnAnge. I had similar problems last year. Rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel line and cleaned the tank. No more problem. I would lean towards crud in the tank in your situation.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 49Cub2017 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 pm

After reading the replies I have to agree it sounds more like a fuel problem. I don't think it's the tank though I'll check that out. The reason I say that is that I keep an eye on the sediment bowl and it stays clean. One thing I forgot to mention is that I did notice the carb leaking from the back choke lever side this morning which is a new development. Kinda surprised me, too, since I've got that new sediment bowl assembly on there now, and I always turn the valve off after I'm done for the day. So that sucker is allowing a small amount of gas to run down the fuel line and it was puddling under the tractor this morning. I think the carb has got problems, which is understandable since I doubt it's had anything done to it since new. I suspect I need a new carb or, at least, a rebuild. I appreciate the input. :D

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:24 pm

49Cub2017 wrote: ...I keep an eye on the sediment bowl and it stays clean.

It is possible to have debris in the tank that is too big to pass into the fuel line. It can sit on the outlet and plug the flow without actually clogging the line. It can be particularly hard to diagnose too since whatever restricts the flow can clear the outlet at any moment.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 pm

49Cub2017 wrote: I suspect I need a new carb or, at least, a rebuild. I appreciate the input. :D

It's a rare carb that can't be rebuilt and it's a lot cheaper.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 am

Hi,
The needle and seat in a Cub's IH carburetor wears out after years of use, then the carb will drip out the hole made in the bottom of the front part of the carb, when the Cub is sitting.
The float height can be wrong too, it can be set when the carb is apart.
Or there could be dirt in the carb, in the needle and seat too, then it will drip if the dirt is preventing it from sealing.
A carb rebuild is not hard to do. Here is a post I wrote in a few days ago about it. The info is in 3 posts down the page. There are Cub parts manual pics of the carb there.
Below is a new needle and seat at TM Tractor you can look at. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96200

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/5183fp.htm

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:54 am

Is the fuel cap vent blocked? Does it start running better after you briefly open the gas cap?
Sounds like a vacuum is developing in the tank after it runs for a while.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 49Cub2017 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:48 am

It would sure be nice if it turns out to be a blocked fuel cap. I'm not near the tractor at the moment, but will sure check that out as well as looking for debris over the tank outlet.
I took a look at new carb prices...wow...a little sticker shock with my coffee this morning! I think I'll check with one of the folks here on the forum who rebuilds and see what that will be in case these other suggestions don't work out.

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

Believe it or not I had a bug that had died in the fuel tank and was sitting in the fuel line intake. That was the cause of my problems along with the crud.
Shawn Agne

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 am

An easy test is to remove the fuel line at the carb and run it into a jar/gas can/whatever won't melt. Turn the fuel on full and see how fast it is coming out and let it run for a full minute. If it's barely trickling, you have a blockage somewhere upstream. If it runs out in a nice continuous stream, your problem is likely at the carb. If the flow slows down, remove the fuel cap and see if it resumes full force. That will indicate a plugged vent in the cap.

Jim
Jim

Circle of Safety

kully560
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 11727

Postby kully560 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 pm

the gas valve should always be closed when the motor is not running ! very hard for the float to hold back that much gas when the tank is on top of it wanting to drain down . my cub and old ford always leaked when not running close gas valve when not in use.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

kully560 wrote:the gas valve should always be closed when the motor is not running ! very hard for the float to hold back that much gas when the tank is on top of it wanting to drain down . my cub and old ford always leaked when not running close gas valve when not in use.

I haven't shut the fuel off on my Cub in three years and always keep the tank full. I haven't had so much as a drip from it. If the carb is overflowing when sitting, either the needle and seat need to be cleaned/replaced or the float is out of adjustment.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Urbish wrote:.......I haven't shut the fuel off on my Cub in three years and always keep the tank full.........
You have been very lucky in my opinion.
Quote from the owner's manual;
It is advisable to close the gasoline shut-off valve if the engine is to be stopped for any length of time.

Return to “Farmall Cub”