This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ready to plow!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Ready to plow!!

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 pm

I plowed mine last fall and have some stuff up and cultivated 2 times ,--so far! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am

Thomas

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby PoconoCub » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:38 am

Scrivet wrote:
PoconoCub wrote:Question for you experienced plowers, a Local Church has about 8 acres they would like to use to plant veggies to donate to Local Food Banks .......?
Will the Food Banks accept the produce? Remember reading but don't remember who on the forum has had difficulties in the past about growing vegetables and donating them. They weren't allowed to accept them because of some regulation they had to follow. I think that it's utter nonsense, but if your Food Banks have some similar regulation I would rather find out now than after I put in an eight acre garden.

Here in PA they can and do accept them.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 am

eiebe wrote:
Stevetractor wrote:Should be plowed first in most cases. If it's sod it wants spraying with a herbicide like roundup first. They may want to consider a small plot first and expand from there. I always like to plow green sod after it's been sprayed, then summer fallow it. Just keep it open the first summer and till it when weeds emerge. Take some soil samples as soon as possible and have them tested for fertility. I assume maybe your state agriculture department can help with that and make recommendations for your area

Then I'd look around for a spike tooth drag harrow I'm in the same boat as you 193 and cultivator but no disc

Not having money to buy a spike tooth drag harrow is going to make this project hard, I guess the Spring Tooth attachments I have won't do it.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I just finished mounting the 193 plow that I bought from Ricky Racer. I'm attempting to till up an area that has been lawn for 40 years and hay field before that. After making roughly 10 passes over the same strip, all I've done is peeled the sod back. I have plenty of slack in both the lift chain and the stay chain and the depth control set to max angle of attack.

After reading through the manual again (and the many posts on this topic on this site), I see that the coulter is set way too low (about .5" BELOW the point). Now if I can only get super rusty bolts 'I' and 'J' loosened up so I can raise the coulter, I should be in business!
Jim

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Trent M wrote:... the plow beam is pretty much plumb vertical. Seems like that might be a good way to set up a plow for a first try.

You betcha!!! Rather than vertical, I suggest that the beam be 90 degrees to the plane of what you are plowing, for example on a side sloping field.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Booyah. I lifted the coulter to 2" above the point and now am inflicting massive battle wounds upon the Earth vs. the little paper-cuts and rug burn I was making before.
Jim

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Nice job....
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Congrats on the improved performance! :{_}: :{_}:
Urbish wrote:........ I have plenty of slack in both the lift chain and the stay chain and the depth control set to max angle of attack.

After reading through the manual again .............
Now go back and carefully read the stay chain section in the manual one more time. :D
Your research assignment is; When is it used? What do you do with it when you are not doing that?
Hanging slack isn't doing anything for you, and has the potential to snag on something like say a rock, a root, or a stump. Unlikely yes, but...................

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 am

I should have clarified that, I originally had the stay chain too tight and it was preventing the plow from being able to lower enough to dig in. 'Plenty of slack' in the stay chain meant enough so that it is taut when the plow is fully engaged with the ground on a dead furrow. It is not hanging down nor is it going to snag on anything.
Jim

Circle of Safety

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby clm2112 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 am

PoconoCub wrote:
Daniel H. wrote:You will want a moldboardent plow, a disc harrow, and cultivators at a minimum. Cultivators are typically used after the plants come up.

I have the moldboard plow and the cultivators but no disc harrow so I will have to figure out how to work around that.

You will need some form of discs after plowing. Just breaking it up with a plow will turn it over but the discs do the real work of busting up the sod into a workable seed bed. After using the discs, they can use a roto-tiller to make the seed beds even finer for planting.

On the plus side, small disks are reasonably inexpensive and can be pulled by an ATV... though it takes longer since they are not as wide. Have you taken a look in Lancaster Farmer yet? I'll bet you can find a usable set of second-hand discs.

Since the church doesn't own any equipment of their own, after prepping the field this year, I would encourage them to revert to a No-Till plan to keep the fields in shape for next year. Lots of advice available through the Penn State University Ag Extension.
Last edited by clm2112 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:20 am

clm2112 wrote:
PoconoCub wrote:
Daniel H. wrote:You will want a moldboardent plow, a disc harrow, and cultivators at a minimum. Cultivators are typically used after the plants come up.

I have the moldboard plow and the cultivators but no disc harrow so I will have to figure out how to work around that.

You will need some form of discs after plowing. Just breaking it up with a plow will turn it over but the discs do the real work of busting up the sod into a workable seed bed. After using the discs, they can use a roto-tiller to make the seed beds even finer for planting.

On the plus side, small disks are reasonably inexpensive and can be pulled by an ATV... though it takes longer since they are not as wide. Have you taken a look in Lancaster Farmer yet? I'll bet you can find a usable set of second-hand discs.

I have determined that with the equipment that I have that I will not be able to do this project by myself and because I am disabled and we are a one income family I will not be able to buy any discs in time I am going to try Eugene's suggestion on getting local farmer's involved. I will also contact our Local Tractor Club and see if they can help.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 am

PoconoCub wrote:I have determined that with the equipment that I have that I will not be able to do this project by myself and because I am disabled and we are a one income family I will not be able to buy any discs in time I am going to try Eugene's suggestion on getting local farmer's involved. I will also contact our Local Tractor Club and see if they can help.

Sounds like a plan. I'd offer to loan you one of my disk sets, but being on the other side of the state is kinda hard. (though I do have a really beat up set of drag-behind discs that might survive one more go-around and you are welcome to them... they were destined to be cut up for scrap this summer.)

Long term, I would discuss no-till farming with the church so they are prepared to sustain this project over multiple seasons.

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:08 am

Hooray! I finished my plowing tasks yesterday. It did take two days to do three acres in two fields. Numerous trips back to the garage to make changes to the plow setup, as well as a loose wheel (probably my fault, I may not have torqued the bolts when I put the wheel on during the rebuilding of the tractor.) Using the Cub and the two-way plow was a learning curve, but by the end of the day I was using the way it was intended. Getting pretty comfortable with doing three-point turns and flipping the plow to do another furrow. The last field is in a pretty tight space on a slope, so the Cub did well in that area. Plowing more of that space than I could have done with the other tractors with one-way plows and larger turning radius.

Now I'm just waiting for daylight to start going over the fields with the Cub and discs. I could wimp out and do them with the Ford 2000 or the JD 5055, but I started this season determined to do it all with the Cub this year.

This is the photo from day 1... I'll take the camera with me today and get a few photos of the finished product. (including the rock from hell that brought the Cub to a sudden stop.)

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:06 am

I think I'm doing ok given this is the first time I have ever plowed with ANY tractor.
Attachments
20170426_202708.jpg
20170426_202728.jpg
20170426_202740.jpg
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”