This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'57 Oil Change

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

'57 Oil Change

Postby ajhbike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 am

I know this topic is an old one....but looking at the manuals it appears that there are 2 main steps to changing oil. Open the main drain and open the vertical drain pipe on the filter holder. Where I get confused is/are...open the main drain first or the vertical filter drain pipe. I ask this because I read that I should prevent the "sludge" that that may be in the filter area from getting into the engine pan.

Also, I don't get how to remove the long filter bolt, remove the filter cap, remove the filter cartridge and then put the bolt back without getting the sludge from draining back into the engine pan. Seems like I need magician hands to move that fast. Is there a step by step by step procedure out there to clarify? Thanks to one and all for allowing me to reopen and for responding to tired old topics

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: '57 Oil Change

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 am

This may be a "Which came first the chicken or the egg?" discussion. Open the oil pan drain and the cap on the pipe, your choice on which is first. When the oil has drained out, remove and replace the oil filter (it only goes on the bolt one way) and replace the drain plug and pipe cap. Fill with engine oil, fire it up, check for oil pressure and you're good-to-go.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:59 am

Open and drain the crank case first. Leave the oil catch pan under the tractor.

Remove the oil filter. Place a rag or small container under the vertical drain pipe, remove the drain pipe's cap.

Any residual oil in the oil filter housing will drain into the crank case when you remove the oil filter housing's cap.

Normally there is very little sludge in the oil filter housing. If you wish you can flush out the oil filter housing with kerosene. Kerosene and sludge will drain out of the housing, into the crank case, and into the oil catch pan.

You can unscrew the vertical drain pipe. The pipe may be full of sludge. Clean with kerosene or in the parts washer. Most of the sludge in the oil filter housing will be in the vertical drain pipe.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:09 am

The suggestion "put the bolt back without getting the sludge from draining back into the engine pan" only applies if you decide to rinse out the filter housing with kerosene or similar. The best thing you can do to minimize sludge accumulation is to have the engine thoroughly warmed up before draining the oil.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35