This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Holes in Fuel Tank - Best way to repair?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Holes in Fuel Tank - Best way to repair?

Postby Clownfish » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:33 pm

I had a tank with what I thought was light rust covering most of the inside bottom. I am a big fan of POR-15 paint when working with rusty metal so I chose the POR fuel tank repair Kit. One part of the kit is a rust remover. After adding the rust remover I discovered about a dozen pinholes and one hole about the size of the end of a pencil in the bottom of the tank. POR also has a fiberglass mesh which is for use in repairing holes. With this mesh you use the POR paint in place of a resin and the paint is not damaged by fuel. I used the mesh with some of the tank coating material to repair the larger hole from the outside and then coated the entire outside bottom of the tank with about 6 or 8 coats of POR-15 paint. This sealed all of the pinholes and prevented the coating from leaking out of the tank when I poured it in. It also will stop the bottom from rusting in the future. If you use POR be sure to follow the directions closely. My repair was about 4 years ago and so far there haven't been any problems. For each product the POR web site has detailed instructions. The POR Fuel Tank liner is like the POR paint but with added fuel resistance.
Links to POR web site:

http://www.por15.com/

http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration_c_17.html

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Power-Mesh-Reinforcing-Fabric_p_75.html

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Ok Eugene. I do have 2 Cub Cadet pony tanks for a Cub that I could use the rest to coat them.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

You can use a true old fashioned soldering iron, which was a solid chunk of iron that you heated away from the work. That way no flame involved. The one I had was about an inch square at the handles, then came to a point over about 1.5 inches of length.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:Ok Eugene. I do have 2 Cub Cadet pony tanks for a Cub that I could use the rest to coat them.
I've used RedKote on 3 or 4 large fuel tanks. The left over RedKote is sufficient for one small, 1 to 1 1/2 gallon tank. There was a bit of RedKote left after the second tank, but not enough to bother with saving.

If you coat the Cub gas tank and then 2 of the Cub Cadet tanks, one immediately after the other, you may be able to get the 2 Cub Cadet tanks coated.

I've never done that. Always stored the left over RedKote until I was ready to work on the smaller tank,
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:58 pm

I could've sworn that you guys didn't like RedKote because it peels off in the tank, leaving you with a mess... I seem to remember reading a LOT about that on this forum a while back. Can't seem to find any reference to it now, of course.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:I could've sworn that you guys didn't like RedKote because it peels off in the tank, leaving you with a mess... I seem to remember reading a LOT about that on this forum a while back. Can't seem to find any reference to it now, of course.
I haven't had any problems with RedKote. Just make sure you let the sealant fully cure. May take several days, or set the tank out in the sun for a couple of days.

My Dad had problems when he used RedKote in winter, in an unheated garage. RedKote wasn't cured before Dad put gasoline in the tank.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:21 pm

I've let the tank sit in the sun since Saturday. Think it is fully cured yet? I think I will give it a couple more days just to be sure.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Soggyb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 41018

Postby Soggyb » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:37 am

Just rinse it out and then hang the filler neck on the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle until the inside of the tank is bone dry. Solder or braze

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:24 am

Soggyb wrote:Just rinse it out and then hang the filler neck on the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle until the inside of the tank is bone dry. Solder or braze

The tank has already been Redkoted, he's letting it cure now.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Soggyb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 41018

Postby Soggyb » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:33 am

I caught that after my reply.