This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grass Cutting-cub disappointment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Grass Cutting-cub disappointment

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:59 pm

brewzalot wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:The front lower, so you only cut the grass once.

I don't know about that Jim, mines set up lower in front and I have to keep mowing the grass all summer... :)

It worked in Texas.

Edit to add a couple pictures so you can see how well it worked. I included a yard stick so you can see how short I was cutting the grass.

dry1s.jpg

dry2s.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 pm

I agree with Sonny
I've been mowing with my '48 cub and Woods 59 for over 20 yrs, and every time I let it get too long (6" or higher) I have to either drop to 1st gear or cut twice. No way will it go through without bogging down or stalling.
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 pm

What seems to always get left out of these discussions is it's not just the length, but also the thickness of the grass. Thickness is much harder to describe is probably why. My brother has about a four acre field that usually gets bush hogged with a Farmall H. I have cut it with one of my Cubs and a Woods 42 on a couple occasions. In some places the Cub mows weeds taller than the hood in second gear without a hiccup. Other places I have to take partial cuts, raise the deck and downshift to first in stuff that barely reaches the front hubs. So I can truly say it will either mow like a demon, or a wounded duck, same Cub, same setup, just a different part of the field.

Masmith
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub, 1958 International Lo Boy, 1961 Cub, 1962 LoBoy,

Postby Masmith » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 am

I appreciate all the advice on these. I have been collecting older cub cadets on and off for over 10 years. I always thought I would enjoy the bigger version, however, I prefer dealing with the cadets a lot more. Especially after realizing an original and 149 will do everything I need around my small acre. I have put my loboy and Cub up for sale. $3k for both along with two extra mower decks.
Mike

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 am

I have a 1974 cub cadet 128 with 44" mower and a 1948 Cub with 60" C3 mower. Each has its place. I use the cadet for mowing the lawn around the house. I mow the back field with the Cub. Each year the field gets rougher from mole and woodchuck holes. The touch control is a life saver as I am so used to it and have the feel of when to raise and lower the deck for the right height. I have a few smooth sections, but for the most part that touch control is moving all the time. There is no way I could cut the field with the cadet. Also if I am short on time, I use the Cub for the lawn around the house. I let the lift chains go slack and let the deck float on the ground--does a great job.

John M.

kully560
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 11727

Postby kully560 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:13 pm

I HAVE A 1959 LOWBOY AND CUT WITH A 54" FLAIL MOWER [belly mower] AND I CAN CUT 12-15" NO PROBLEM!! I FOUND OUT WHEN THE OTHER OWNER HAD IT THE BELT WAS REVERSED AND THROW THE GRASS OUT TO THE FRONT . WHEN I FIXED THAT PROBLEM IT CUTS LIKE NOTHING.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Your impressions may also be colored by not using the best tool for the job.

Each of the various mowers had their respective strengths and weaknesses. This is my understanding of their roles:
59"-60" mowers: finish mowers. Designed to give a smooth, fast cut on lawn-type fine grass that is kept decently groomed. Don't let the grass get too far ahead of you, or you'll have a hard time catching up. Least suited to anything resembling "brush hogging".
44" mowers: more of an all-purpose approach. Doesn't cut as fast or do as nice a job as the wider mowers, but can handle heavier growth.
Flail mowers: for use in the rough stuff. Use to mow pastures or roadsides where you may find the errant log or boulder and woody weeds. Can hit such things occasionally without anything important breaking.
Sickle bars: for straight-up cutting hay. Cuts tall stuff at the bottom and lays it down intact.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Still cutting 6" grass - 2nd gear- after 10 years!! Afraid I'm going to have to do the tune-up routine though, gets a little draggy on a long uphill slope! May not be as fast as a zero turn but lots more enjoyable! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:39 pm

No issues with my 60" mower in 2nd gear. Just need to make sure you stay ahead of it and have the belts tight.
Shawn Agne

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 pm

We cut everything from lawn to pasture to saplings with the woods 42 for years. Now with a 59, I actually think the 42 pulled harder than the 59 although 6" grass is about its limit for full swath in second gear.
Check your blades and spindles for parasitic power loss, then get your engine power corrected. Start with a compression test -tester less than 20 clams at harbor freight. If you are over 100, you should be fine.
I've adjusted valves on my Cubs exactly once in nearly 50 years...so save that for last.
It's most likely not drawing enough fuel through an old cruded up carb. Fuel equals horsepower.

DDean
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53566
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby DDean » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 am

I know this is an older post and don't know if you have these tractors anymore, but I just got mine back together and running. I thought I had my carb, governor and timeing working correctly until I went to mow with it. Ran great just putzing around but once it went under load from mowing it told me it wasn't set correctly. At first, I was disappointed that it didn't have a lot of power. But then thinking kicked in, if I can't mow, then I can't plow, disk let alone do anything except putzs around. These tractor were made to do all of that if set and running correctly. Even after adjustments to all the mentioned linkages, it still seemed to lack any worthy power, then it dawned on me that I put a 15"exhaust pipe along with a 24" muffler on to the exhaust pipe. Hmm, I wonder what happens if I remove muffler and straight pipe it. Boy was I amazed at the power it produced now. Way to much back pressure in all that length of pipe and muffler. I seen a lot of cubs run with that length but for some reason not mine. I have a flail mower and hilly land that equals to about 6 acres of mowing. That tractor cracks open the governor and it just barks right along with out a care in the world. In these areas the grass gets about 3"-6" and that milk weed, iron weeds whatever it is gets about 10". Sometimes its the simple things that creates a very large problem that really isn't a problem at all.

DiMiG
Zip Code: 51461

Postby DiMiG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am

Well this may sound crazy buy if you rev down to about half throttle or sometimes less while pto engaged, so while mowing. It uses more of engine power and keeps better belt friction.. idk my gpa had told me couple times to try it and i finally did one tall grassy day :surrender: it went wayyyyy further than full rpm without screechin belt to a stop.. unless you mean the tall grass completely killed engine.. than u need fullll body tune by a qualified person.. 2years ago we had it done. It ran like a raped ape after I got it back and i fell in love.. no jks i hated the thing b4.. Can b costly but splurge on it i think the old girl deserves it..

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000
Henderson Std. Loader
Planet Jr/Cole 300A Seeder

Postby radioguy41 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:29 pm

DDean wrote:Even after adjustments to all the mentioned linkages, it still seemed to lack any worthy power, then it dawned on me that I put a 15"exhaust pipe along with a 24" muffler on to the exhaust pipe. Hmm, I wonder what happens if I remove muffler and straight pipe it. Boy was I amazed at the power it produced now. Way to much back pressure in all that length of pipe and muffler.

Yep. I brought up backpressure as a problem in another thread last year and got shot down. People don't realize what a very real thing it can be. Glad you figured it out.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:45 am

Ok, now l'm curious. If a 15" exhaust pipe and 24" muffler caused too much back pressure, how do you justify a 90°+ elbow a 4' pipe with bends and a muffler not causing a problem as in the later Cubs with under slung exhausts?
I'm not a mechanic so my knowledge is minimal in this area, l'm honestly curious.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:25 pm

k hutchins wrote:Ok, now l'm curious. If a 15" exhaust pipe and 24" muffler caused too much back pressure, how do you justify a 90°+ elbow a 4' pipe with bends and a muffler not causing a problem as in the later Cubs with under slung exhausts?
I'm not a mechanic so my knowledge is minimal in this area, l'm honestly curious.

Dale and her sisters cut 20 acres of pasture land with 3 cubs all of which have the the low exhaust. They seem to do just fine and the cut quality is nice. I saw where some of it grew high (10”) and was cut to normal yard height.
I tried cutting with my loboy that has a short vertical exhaust last summer and it didn’t go so well. I had the 60” IH deck on it and it overheated the engine. I’m pretty sure it was because the cubs engine is getting tired.
This may be the problem more often than not.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall Cub”