Front end removal for engine swap.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Front end removal for engine swap.

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Yesterday I was ready to remove the front axle/radiator assembly so I could then remove the broken engine for the engine swap. I have done this several times, the last time being, I believe, at DSCF 2 years ago. The two places that get hung up are the front pulley on the rear of the bolster, and the lower water inlet pipe, which sticks through a hole in the front right corner of the engine block. The IH Manual says to remove the pipe stub, but that sucker is probably "welded" in tight!! At the very least, you would end up with wrench marks which would cause the hose to leak.

I remembered all this, and also remembered how 4 or 5 folks wrestled like crazy with that thing. Now most of you folks probably already know the solution to this, but if I help even one person, I will be happy. I blocked the front axle against the bolster with wooden wedges, to keep everything square, allowing easy removal of the 4 bolts holding it to the engine. Once I had them out, I removed the LEFT wedge, allowing the bolster to lower to the axle, leaning to the left. This lowered the rear of the bolster just enough to roll the entire unit straight forward, balanced with the steering wheel. Worked like a champ!

I didn't take any photos because I had my two hands full, but it was really easy! We'll see just how easy it will be to roll it back on, and THEN get the bolster squared up again to get the bolts back in!! May have to use the engine hoist.....unless I can get some muscled help! :D

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Front end removal for engine swap.

Postby ricky racer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Pretty slick!! There's more than one way to skin a cat....
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

farmergiffIV
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub

Re: Front end removal for engine swap.

Postby farmergiffIV » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Dale Finch wrote: I blocked the front axle against the bolster with wooden wedges, to keep everything square, allowing easy removal of the 4 bolts holding it to the engine. Once I had them out, I removed the LEFT wedge, allowing the bolster to lower to the axle, leaning to the left. This lowered the rear of the bolster just enough to roll the entire unit straight forward, balanced with the steering wheel. Worked like a champ!

I didn't take any photos because I had my two hands full, but it was really easy! We'll see just how easy it will be to roll it back on, and THEN get the bolster squared up again to get the bolts back in!! May have to use the engine hoist.....unless I can get some muscled help! :D

I'll try this sounds like a good idea.
Raptor Creek Farm