This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not a Fan of My Fan

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Not a Fan of My Fan

Postby jpate831 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:27 pm

The old fan assembly on my 1947 Cub was starting to leak quite a bit and squeal occasionally, so I decided to replace it. I purchased a new, sealed-bearing fan assembly from one of the online places. When I put it on the tractor, I noticed that the pulleys didn't line up very well with the crankshaft pulley or the generator pulley. I used extra washers to shim the fan assembly forward about another quarter inch or more to make it line up with the crankshaft pulley better. I had to shim it forward so far that now I can't even get a full set of threads on the fan's nut. I hooked everything up and tested it, and it seems to work okay (other than being slightly out of round and bouncing a bit), but the generator's pulley still doesn't line up like it did on the old fan assembly. I'm afraid that over time the generator belt will wear and possibly break due to the angle.

Do I have the wrong fan assembly? Are some replacement fans just junk? I actually purchased it a few years back when I first restored my Cub, and I recall trying to use it then but instead reverted back to the old assembly due to the way it fit. When I started having problems recently, I looked online for a replacement, and the ones I saw looked exactly like this one. Is there a better fan assembly out there that will fit correctly? I don't really want to put the hood and everything back on with the fan like it is.

Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Not a Fan of My Fan

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:25 pm

I don't have any experience with aftermarket fans, but you could probably replace the gaskets in your OEM fan and reuse it. I'd be concerned about the nut coming off and the fan trashing your radiator. IF you go to TM Tractor and click on cooling, they have a good breakdown that shows the two gaskets.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 pm

I bought the sealed bearing fan several years ago from CNH and have had no problems. Alignment of pulleys is perfect. The part # is 131489C91. It is still available new.

John M.

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:24 am

I have a couple of the replacement sealed bearing fans as well. The pulleys are made from pressed steel. Had to shim with one small washer but fit well other than that. They are made by A and I I believe and they also list a cast iron version that you use your old fan blades with. Have never tried though because that version is almost double in price. The best thing I like about the sealed bearings is there is NO oil at all that leaks slightly over new paint jobs collecting the dust in it. :tractor:

jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Postby jpate831 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Exactly! The whole front of my nicely painted engine under the fan assembly has oil on it now. When I hold the old fan assembly with the blades facing up, oil just runs down the shaft. It's gotta go.

The old assembly measures about 3 1/2 inches from the front where the fan blades mount to the edge of the back pulley. The replacement one measures about 3 5/16. The bolt is the same length to the edge of the hex part.

JohnMihevic,
Did you go to a dealership or did you order it online? If I can find it online and be reasonably sure it'll fit, I'll order it today.

Thanks.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi,
The original fan assembly has no oil seal at the rear, which is why the oil runs out if you hold it upright with the blades up.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing how to oil it, the oil has to be filled to a certain level. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-28.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:20 pm

jpate831 wrote:. . . JohnMihevic, Did you go to a dealership or did you order it online? If I can find it online and be reasonably sure it'll fit, I'll order it today. . .

I got it from a CNH dealer. That part number (131489C91) is what was on the receipt.
John M.

jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Postby jpate831 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 pm

I ordered one from Steiner that's supposed to fit the early Cubs within my serial number range. They had the cast iron one too, but the site said it was for the later models after my serial. The new one should be here by the weekend. Hopefully it will work out.

jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Postby jpate831 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Okay so my new fan assembly came in, and I put it on tonight. It looked almost identical to my other replacement one, but the nut was smaller and fit into the mounting fork better. I was able to line it up with the crankshaft pulley pretty good with the original thick washer and the two thin washers that came with it, and I still managed to get the nut fully threaded by the time it got tight. But the generator pulley still didn't line up well at all. It was a good quarter inch or more out of line. Then it dawned on me. I took the generator pulley off, flipped it over, and put it back on. It lined up perfectly. I felt kind of dumb after that! (LOL)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:40 pm

jpate831 wrote:**** I felt kind of dumb after that! (LOL)
Don't feel bad, we have all done similar things, but did not say anything. :oops: Things like trying to figure out what was wrong with starter and finally remembering battery was setting by shop door waiting to be replaced, putting distributor cap on and leaving rotor off. Replacing a brake drum and when you get on tractor to drive it out of shed and realizing fender is still leaning against wall. I could add more, but I think you get the idea.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”