This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburetor Manifold Gasket Material (revisited)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
StaffordCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22554
Tractors Owned: 1976 International Cub (yellow)
1976 International Cub (red)
Ford 1900
1950 Ford 8N
1990 Wheel Horse Hydro 312 Classic

Carburetor Manifold Gasket Material (revisited)

Postby StaffordCub » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 pm

I searched the posts on this topic and found that a few of you had given suggestions on material for making the gasket. However I am still unclear as to what to look for at the local auto parts stores. I just bought (per the opinion of the sales folks) the NAPA part no. 3187 Rubber-Fiber Sheet at 1/16th" thickness, for sealing oil, water and gasoline. Found a high temp rubber material at Tractor Supply but just wasn't sure. I believe Barnyard had made a post on the material for the bowl but I missed the post on the manifold intake. I apologize for revisiting this as I am sure it has been covered many times in the past. Oh, I have the zenith carb if that makes a difference.
Marty

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Carburetor Manifold Gasket Material (revisited)

Postby Scrivet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 pm

I wouldn't spend to much time fussing over it. It needs to be something that will hold up to gasoline, seal against air, and the big hole not interfere with the butterfly valve in the top of the carb throat. For around five bucks I would order one from TM. I know there's a dozen reasons to make your own and I'm fine with that. It's a glass half full, half empty, or twice as big as it needs to be type of thing. It all depends on your perspective.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:10 am

The material you've got is fine. Get'er done. 8)
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

StaffordCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22554
Tractors Owned: 1976 International Cub (yellow)
1976 International Cub (red)
Ford 1900
1950 Ford 8N
1990 Wheel Horse Hydro 312 Classic

Postby StaffordCub » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:22 pm

I bought the IH gasket from tmtractor but it doesn't fit the zenith. If they had this I would buy it. That's why I am looking to make my own.
Thank you both for replying.
Marty

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Try McDonald Carb
Thomas

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:40 pm

What doesn't fit? :? I have both IH carbs and a replacement Zenith on various Cubs of mine. I have never set them side by side to see the difference in mounting. I know the flange on the manifold is smaller than the flange on the Zenith carb. I don't recall if there is gasket overhang on the Zenith, but everything extending past the size of the intake manifold doesn't have anything to seal against so would be useless. Both mount to original manifolds so the two mounting holes have to be the same. I seem to recall there is something different about the throat of the Zenith being slightly larger maybe???? If the gasket center hole is smaller, that doesn't really matter since that is the size of the intake manifold opening and would be restricted anyway. Is the butterfly hitting the gasket? Notch the gasket back a bit on each side to clear. If so, you may need to file a little off the inside of the manifold in two places, or double up on gaskets, so the butterfly doesn't hit on the inside edges of the manifold lip.

Return to “Farmall Cub”