This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Spring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
derski69
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63401

PTO Spring

Postby derski69 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 am

Good Morning.
When I bought my '53 Cub the owner said it needed a new spring to keep the PTO engaged so that my woods mower would work properly. My father in law plans to use this tractor come summer to cut grass around the farm so I'd like to get the parts I need for him to fix it himself. I'm not sure where is spring is or where I can get one can somebody please help me?
Thank You.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO Spring

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:22 pm

There is no spring in the Cub's PTO. There are a couple of parts that normally need replacing, the shift lever and clutch coupling.

Parts are available from the advertisers on this site. It's not a difficult task to repair the PTO.

Use the search function, looking for the PTO. There will be photos and explainations in the How To section of this site.

There are free down loadable manuals, above. Suggest starting with the Operator's Manual, then the Service Manual, and the Parts Manual.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 pm

There is, in fact, a spring on the PTO shift lever.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/386fp.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Don McCombs wrote:There is, in fact, a spring on the PTO shift lever.
That's why I have CRS in my tag line.

Not sure why the spring would be missing. But, I would tear down the PTO, check parts condition. There is a good chance the clutch, power take-off shifter (351 286 R2) and the lever and shaft assy, power take-off shifter (351 287 R11) needs replacing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm susceptible to CRS also, Eugene. :(
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 pm

sometimes it is so bad I forget what CRS is!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi,
Here is a post with info about the PTO from a few days ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95516

There is a small spring on the PTO lever, like they said above. It keeps the lever up, so it locks into the ends of the slot in the PTO shifter guide, it is called in the parts book. Here it is below at TM Tractor, like Don posted above. There is a pic below it showing where it goes. There is a small cotter key at the bottom of the shifter rod that you remove to take it apart.
Sometimes the splines on the end of the long clutch shaft, in the transmission case, and the splines in the PTO clutch wear out, and then the PTO won't work. Then the parts need replacing.
Here is a pic from TM Tractor showing the rear end of the clutch shaft, the splines are on the right of the pic. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/386fp.htm
Attachments
Cub shaft 3.jpg

derski69
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby derski69 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:55 pm

Thank you for the info guys. I'm not sure the spring is missing but it maybe wore out. The guy I bought the tractor from said that he had to hold the PTO lever to keep the PTO engaged. Hopefully this summer I'll be home so I can take a look at it.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:23 am

I just repaired a pto on a friend's '53. It had a similar problem. It wouldn't engage or stay engaged.
The main problem was the shifter pin that fits into the clutch collar. It was worn down to less than half of what it should have been. I replaced the whole shifter assembly (it comes with the spring). I also ended up replacing the pto clutch, as the splines were worn on the old one.
Worked like a champ afterward.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

derski69
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby derski69 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:22 am

Hey guys.
I wanted to follow up on this post. I just got the cub back from our local Cub Cadet dealership the last week. Come to find out there was a couple of bad bearings and one bad gear in the transmission that kept the PTO from staying engaged. The fix only cost me $241 with a carb clean so I don't think that was a bad deal. My father in law has been mowing the pasture with it and loving since he picked it up.

Return to “Farmall Cub”