This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Flat tires and Slime

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Flat tires and Slime

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:34 pm

Our neighbors let my wife graze her horses there as long as we maintain it. Yesterday I was mowing and had about two passes left to make when I looked down and had a horseshoe stuck to the right front tire. I shut down, pulled it off, knowing I'd soon have a flat. Looked on the other side, and must have run over the same shoe on the previous pass. So now it's 5:30 PM and I have two flat front tires. I'll get them fixed, but wondered if Slime or something similar has worked for others to seal the pinhole punctures that nails and thorns can make.
Thanks, Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:43 pm

It will seal the holes but I understand that some of those compounds can be hard on the rims over time.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:43 pm

HI RJ

I've had good luck with slime. I used to work in a landfill and always carryed a plug kit. Slime does not work well very small holes like a crack but does good on nail holes. I ran it in my truck tires and it did not throw off my ballance. Also the rear tube on the cub would leak down over 3-4 days I put slime in and haven't had to put air in for over a year now and I never found where it was comming from.

Good luck Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:46 pm

I have no idea but those small fronts are a bear with out a tire machine. The couple of times i did them my self made me take them out ever since. Worst part with thorns is did you get it all out.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:23 pm

beaconlight wrote:I have no idea but those small fronts are a bear with out a tire machine. The couple of times i did them my self made me take them out ever since. Worst part with thorns is did you get it all out.

Bill

I wasn't pleased with one of the rims I was going to send with Shorty for painting (it was rusted around the valve stem hole). This morning I pulled a wheel from a derilict and swapped its' tire to the reject rim and put it back on the derilict. I didn't bother to dig out the tire machine but it wasn't a bad job with irons. I didn't even use the bead breaker, but broke the bead in my woodworking vise.

Mounting tires isn't difficult if you cooperate with them and can keep from fighting. :)

Now the bare rim is in the tank getting stripped.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 pm

I've always had good luck with Green Slime. Because of the increased cost of the slime I try to plug it or patch it if I can. But in tough times or difficult jobs, I use it without any problems. I had a dented front rim on my backhoe and you could hear the air leaking out. I put 2-3 bottles in the valve stem, filled it with air and turned the wheel by hand. The slime started oozing out of the bad places in the rim for several seconds and suddenly stopped leaking. That was 2 years ago, and the rim is still in place. About tire mounting, I bought a cheap tire mount on sale at Harbor Freight for $37 a few years ago, and it works pretty good. I think the same item is on sale now. The important thing is to be sure to anchor it to the ground. I used anchor bolts in concrete to hold it down. Larry

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:21 pm

I have a thorn problem, honey locust.

I use a NAPA product that has provided excellent results. This product will seal 1/4 inch punctures in tube type tires. The repairs are permanent. Once installed I have not had any further flats. $8.?? container seals one tire.

The NAPA product is white in color. I don't know the exact product name.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:53 pm

The NAPA product is labeled "Amerseal, tire sealent".

Eugene

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:08 pm

I have an old mechanical changer. I helped my brother take out a Cast iron tub when he redid his bathroom. I dropped by the junkyard on the way home. I saw the changer in the pile. I asked what he wanted for it. The tub plus a dollar. Unfortunately both times I needed it it was on Staten Island and I was in Franklin . such is life.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Slime

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:41 pm

It comes in 2 different forms. One is for tube tires and the other is for tubeless. Be shure you get the right one for your particular application.

Return to “Farmall Cub”