This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Glyptol

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Glyptol

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 pm

I am not a chemist, don't even pretend to be one. So I don't know what I am talking about. But my layman observation is that all these high-tech coatings that cross-link and become impervious to every substance know to man are fairly recent (at least commercially) developments. Glyptal has been around forever. I'm inclined to believe the information supplied by manufacturer. Any permanent effect from heat curing has to be minor and largely coincidental.

Again, not a chemist.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Glyptal was one of the first generation of thermosetting polymers, like bakelite, which was developed in the 1930's in New Jersey. I used to drive by the old factory with Bakelite spelled out on the smokestack. Glyptal was originally developed by GE as an electrical insulation for coils, etc. It would not surprise me if it was modified as I thought that environmental concerns were one of the reasons given at the time for spinning it off but I think it just was too small of an operation to be of interest to them anymore especially since the "electric" part of GE had been supplanted by technology and loansharking at the time.

les king
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75835
Tractors Owned: 2 -184's, 2-154's, 12-cubs high crop, 1 with fast hitch, 1- lobby with fast hitch, several parts tractors.

Postby les king » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Was not intending to respond, I took about an Oz of coolant front my engine, that's been in over a year. The lowest temp I'm capable of bringing it down to was 8 degree. Below. As an antifreeze it works. Now my concern is, if zink or any metals, will break down a coolant and become harmful to an engine, maybe I should build a bigger shed to house my cubs. The expense of taking all apart and applying glyptal would cause a bitter battle with the wife. Just kidding of course. The zink thing was a discovery and I don't see the harm. Palmer Marine thinks it worked. Good conversation, enjoying the responses.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:22 am

tnestell wrote:I would try a needle scaler if you have access to one first.

I second this!
I have basic sand blasting equipment (a cabinet and a small tank) which works but makes a mess and sand gets into places you'd rather it not.
I also have two needle scalers sold by harbor freight. Some of what they sell is junk but the larger of the two scalers is my first choice now for rust and paint removal. The smaller unit they sell doesn't work as well and the larger sells for under $50 so go with that one.
You'll be glad you did. Try it out approaching the surface from different angles and you'll be surprised at how well it works. Doesn't make a mess either as the material just drops instead of being thrown all over (or into your forehead as a wire brush will do).
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 am

Glyptol is used to seal the sand into the castings from the mold. We hot tanked the engine blocks first to clean them. Once the block is dry we paint the castiron.

I did a test using rustoelum paint. We applied it, then thought we test it so in the hot tank it went. The hot tank couldn't remove it. I later tested a gm six cylinder head with rustoelum white paint. Removed the valve cover down the road to adjust the valves and the paint was still there.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:37 am

I took the cap I used to flow coat the bolster and recoated it after the acetone air dry test. I let is air dry for 4-5 days and put it in the oven at 250 for a and hour or so let it cool over night.

I redid the q tip acetone wip and the q tip discolored but the coating was not coming off as much as the air dry sample did.

I think Bob is right. There may have been a formal change at some point between the older GE manufactured Glyptal and Glyptal manufactured Glyptal. The oven cure on the current coating may be doing something like sealing the surface/ closing up any pores which is protecting the coating for a period.

Only time will tell. In 20-30 years when the next owner pulls it apart, they can update the thread on how the Glytpal held up.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Return to “Farmall Cub”