This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle bar mower question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
COAG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06492

Sickle bar mower question

Postby COAG » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 pm

I am new to the cub world and just bought a 53 with what I believe is a #22 sickle bar. I plan a restoration and would like advise on how to remove the bar so I can replace knives. I also see the end of the bar connected to the pitman has an attachment ball with plate, can those knives be replaced by removing rivets as well and if so what length of rivets should I get?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sickle bar mower question

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Grind off the rivet heads with an angle grinder. Remove the remaining rivet with a punch. All knives can be removed using this technique. Rivet sizes are included in the attachment below. Find a copy of the manual at this link... http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Here's another technique for knife removal. A slightly opened vise can substitute for the anvil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP-ZDcIek_s

Cub-22 Mower Parts.pdf
(42.54 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Watch your fingers on that mower...Very unforgiving....Great mower if you need one though......I use mine a lot....
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

COAG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby COAG » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Great information and details in the manual. Does the knife head ball that goes in between the pitman spring side arms only drops out of the bottom when the pitman is raised and side arms that hold the bar end ball are extended by the fork handle, or can the knife head ball be removed by sliding the knife bar outward?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:54 pm

blade pulls out the bottom only after the pitman arm is unlatched off the ball on the bar

COAG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby COAG » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Will give it a try over the weekend! Thank you for the feedback, and will be sure to keep this forum on the front burner.

COAG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby COAG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 am

OK, got myself a Johnson Sickle Servicer Tool that is much faster that works great up to the Knife Head Ball section as expected. Has anyone replaced Knives under this end ball section and what would be the suggested steps as two of the three knife sections need to be replaced.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:25 am

See my previous post.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I just do it the fast easy way and take the sickle out of the mower , saves time and temper's!!! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 pm

I used sickle bolts when I got to the head end. Much easier to install all the sections with bolts and torque them down evenly than trying to peen over rivets and keep everything aligned.

Tractor Supply sells a package of the longer sickle section bolts you need for this.

Bolts don't work for the rest of the sickle bar, due to the low clearance of the hold-down clips.

COAG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby COAG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Guy's, all set by grinding heads off end section rivets and punched out. Not as difficult as I had thought, so thank you all for your support and help!

Our Pass Thyme
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04435
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub with loader and fast hitch
1953 Farmall Cub
1970 International Cub
2011 JD X530
1995 Noma Garden Tractor
(previously owned a 1950 David Bradley walk behind tractor, if this counts?)

Postby Our Pass Thyme » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:45 am

Does your knife have a regular blade or a "duplex" or the more rare "triplet' blade on the end? I am a new #22 user as of last fall and had to refurbish the cutter bar somewhat. I had tried cutting with my sickle as it came to me from the PO but it was clanky and there were two "skips" in the cutting path and the cutter kept plugging up. I found a local guy who sells the blades, duplex blades, rivets, and rock guards and bolts for less than online prices. I had several extra scrub blade assemblies, one of which had the triplet in good condition. I did not have the servicer but managed to replace rivets quite easily. The biggest problem I had was with the new rock guards being out of 'plane' with the older guards. I solved this by grinding off some material around the bolt hole on the guard where it seats on the cutter bar. I also replaced several blades and removed the triplet from the scrub assembly and put it on the end of my "new" assembly. I was amazed at the difference a little maintenance made, no skips or plugs and the clanky is gone too! I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have had with mine!

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:I used sickle bolts when I got to the head end. Much easier to install all the sections with bolts and torque them down evenly than trying to peen over rivets and keep everything aligned.

Tractor Supply sells a package of the longer sickle section bolts you need for this.

Bolts don't work for the rest of the sickle bar, due to the low clearance of the hold-down clips.

I second the rivet bolts and nuts. A lot less frustrating and time consuming. And the hold down clips can be changed out to high arch hold down clips and then you can use bots the entire length of the bar.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:22 pm

True, the hold down clips can be changed but in my case that was another $50 that I didn't want to spend. A box of rivets was something like $4.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:True, the hold down clips can be changed but in my case that was another $50 that I didn't want to spend. A box of rivets was something like $4.
Plus beating on $4 of rivets is a lot more therapeutic than wrenching on $50 worth of bolts. :{_}:
Especially if you draw little faces of annoying individuals on them :shock: :evil: