This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

newbie with a first question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 04086
Tractors Owned: 1958 Farmall 130
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

newbie with a first question

Postby Mainely Saws » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Hello folks ,
I have read the forum for a while but just recently joined . Many ,many useful articles that help a great deal . I have a cub & a farmall 130 . One item that I haven't been able to find any info on is if anyone has made a sander/spreader that mounts on the back of a cub so that when plowing snow some sand can be spread without getting off the tractor ?
Even though I have had these tractors for a while & use them for non-farming work, I know that I will have numerous questions in the future .

Thank you for any suggestions/info ,

Bob

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: newbie with a first question

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Winfield Dave ! I don't burn wood any more so I don't have any ashes to spread on the drive . I'm looking to use sand .Is your set up a hand spreader mounted under the barrel ? How is it driven , hand crank , pto ?

Thanks again .....

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Welcome

There a number of 3-point spreaders designed for wet sand on the internet and E-Bay. Standard 540 RPM PTO. Pretty expensive.

ATV spreaders designed for pelletized lime should handle rock salt. That would be less expensive and if you have a 12 volt Cub with universal carrier - should be good to go. Also work on the 130.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome ! Cost is definitely a factor so I'm looking to modify or adapt something. My cub is 6 volt ( I do have another cub that is 12 volt but it might end up being a parts machine ) . It does have the quick hitch on it & I have a carry-all as well . I have a supply of sand for the small amount of sanding that I might do ( my driveway & a couple of good neighbors ) . I will check out the atv spreaders as you suggest . When the weather brings on slush & then freezing temps it sure would be nice after my last pass with the plow, to just pull a lever & lay down a 4 to 6 ft wide path of sand/salt mix .

Bob

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:48 pm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U0KDHI/re ... B000VZC9XA

I just saw this tow behind spreader & there was a review of a fellow who used it to spread salt & gave it a good review . Any thoughts ?

Bob

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bob. :coffee:

My only thought for the pull-behind spreader you linked is that you'd probably wouldn't be able to pull it while pushing snow. When I push snow, I do a lot of backing up and moving forward. Having a single point-of-connection tow spreader on the rear would just complicate things. I'd think a drawbar mounted setup would be better so it would go where you do without having worry about it when in reverse. Just my thoughts.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Hello Stanton & thank you for the welcome ,
I agree with you about the tow behind spreader .I like the idea of having a spreader right there on the drawbar or carryall ( along with adding a bit of weight to the rear of the tractor) but if that wasn't doable then I was thinking I could leave a tow behind spreader in the shop until I was done plowing snow ( the plowing is all on the same street )& then quickly hook it up & go sand . I'm just thinking out loud I guess . Like yourself I do a fair amount of going forwards & backwards & if a unit was mounted on the drawbar I could back up a lot closer to things ..............

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Should work well for a two step operation. I use one just like it (except it's John Deere green) behind my mower for spreading lawn lime and fertilizer. You would have to modify the control lever to be able to reach it from the Cub seat.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Don , thanks for first hand info on your spreader . Could a simple length of pull cord with a handle on the end be used to work the control lever or would it need to be a a fixed rod ?

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:57 pm

I have an Agri-Fab spreader that is used for weed and feed. Dad had just made a handle extension out of bar stock long enough so it can be reached from the seat. I wonder if you could rig it to the fast hitch so it's has a ridged mount so that when you back up the tires just slide on the remaining snow and ice? I have never used ours with salt and frankly never even thought to! great idea---

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Agri-Fab-SmartSpreader-130-lb-Tow-Spreader-45-0463/202065418?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-LawnMowers%7c&gclid=CPKtyJa1ndECFQetaQod-KwIqw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Fixed lever. You need to be able to open and close the flow gate at the bottom of the hopper.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:05 am

I already had a simple walk-behind spreader when I needed to spread some sand, maybe similar to this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-Turf- ... /100664982
I just dumped sand in it and spread it on foot. As often as I need to do it, walking is fine. Maybe you'd have to do it more often than I do. But sometimes, the simple direct approach is adequate.

(Also have 3 mounted planters for Cubs. But when I plant my garden I usually use an Earthway torture machine.)

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:38 am

Mainely Saws wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Winfield Dave ! I don't burn wood any more so I don't have any ashes to spread on the drive....It was designed for coal ashes... I'm looking to use sand .Is your set up a hand spreader mounted under the barrel ?...Yes... How is it driven , hand crank , pto ?...PTO...
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:15 am

Gosh , I had written a reply & hit Submit & it disappeared . Nothing in the the drafts either . I'm still learning .
Anyways , after reading your replies & thinking some more , the tow behind AgrFab won't work for me . I have room at both ends of my driveway to make U-turns but not in two of my neighbors drives . These driveways are not all smooth & all have at least some some incline . I'd be concerned that a rigid mount sliding across the ice /ground might get tore up pretty quick, but what about mounting the same unit to the fast hitch so that it could be raised and lowered as necessary with the touch control ? Also maybe change out the plastic stock drive wheels with some soft or underinflated rubber wheels to get better traction ? Jim , I agree that a lot of the time simpler is better but the thought of having a quick disconnect spreader on the back of the cub that works well is appealing to me .........

Bob