This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thanks For All The Help! Here's The Result

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TurboRoadster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Thanks For All The Help! Here's The Result

Postby TurboRoadster » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:24 am

you did a great job!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

EugeneFromMichigan
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48357

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks again for all the kind words. I realize the tractor isn't 100% "authentic," but must confess a certain amount of pride in how it turned out. I couldn't bring myself to paint the starter, distributor or generator red - it just seemed "wrong" to me somehow - so they are black like just about every other electrical component I see on antique vehicles. I likewise could not find a source for the "decals" under the FARMALL CUB nameplates on the hood, so I cut some out of contact paper. I see now the color is too white compared with the replacement grill, but they'll serve until the next generation re-restores it. The snow blade proved much more of a challenge than I anticipated. Nearly every hole was worn and wallowed out! So the big rod that attaches the push bars to the frame under the steering bolster is now 1 1/8 dia. rather than 1.0. The holes for the pivots on which the blade swings right/left were likewise egg-shaped, so I carefully filed and ground them round enough to drill without hogging the drill bit, then turned a bushing to fit the new hole and still use a 5/8ths bolt. Even the push bars needed a fair amount of TLC. Both were bent downward at their mid-point; presumably after hitting something. I straightened them in my press, but didn't trust them to stay straight, so I encased the tops and outsides with a piece of 1 1/4 by 1/8 thick angle iron. This not only added to their rigidity, but gave more "bearing surface" to that 1 1/8th rod at the back. The important part, however, is that my son now has a solid, servicable tractor that will fit in his garage and do what he needs it to do. The new front and rear main seals appear to be working great - not a drop of oil from either. I'm still withholding judgment on the new throw out bearing - I greased it well with "cheap," thin grease, then let it soak 3 weeks in oil (both tips from this forum!) and so far it seems to be holding up. I plan on buying a second one to let "pickle" on the shelf, however, just in case. Once again, many thanks to all: both those who responded to my own posts, and those whose responses to others saved me from asking the same quesiton again!

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:15 pm

It doesn't have to be 100% authentic. I don't care how well of a job you try and do the correct police will always find something to give you a hard time about. As long as you're happy that is all that matters.

I restored a John Deere H once, it didn't have PTO on it, I found a parts tractor and added it. John Deere H's had the option of a big shaft or a littler shaft, this one was big (regular 1 3/8" size) and it showed it in the parts book, both shafts as an option. I had a guy come up to me at a tractor show and tell me mine had the wrong shaft, they didn't come with a big shaft only a little one (his had the little one). I said okay and walked away, some people just want to be negative!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Fantastic job!! It will give you many years of enjoyment and a lot of fond memories for your kids.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 am

Personally I see good repairs and creative modifications made by prior owners to be part of the tractors history an something of value.
Especially if it was made back in the day when folks didn't have as much and needed to make due with what they had to get the job done.
Years down the road there will be finger pointing saying see how that was done? Pretty cool huh? Grand Dad did that!
Pretty cool indeed :wink:
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:04 pm

Awesome job.
You learn a lot of things going forward when you restore/rebuild this old iron.
If one is not a trained mechanic, one learns by asking questions and a lot of googling.
All knowledge by trying. Heck, I had heard of plastigage before tearing into a Cub engine.
The blade lift looks great!
Just Do It !

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Wow...... looks great!
Bill Longeill

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi,
I sent you a PM. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”