EZ Carburetor Straightening Jig and Template

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Circle Cub #1447 (Arnold)
195? Cub
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: EZ Carburetor Straightening Jig and Template

Postby Shane Nelson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:31 am

The majority of responses here are asking for something simple & you have planted your feet in the sand and said no. Just add a rule and make everyone happy, you'll feel better after doing it.
God is good, all the time!
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:59 am

I want to thank you for going through the process of documenting, as well as neatly producing a How To on straightening a warped carb top. I know how long it takes to do it; I've done a few How-To's. I'm hoping this finds it way into the How To sub-forum for future reference...with or without the measured reference.

As with all posts on this (or any other) forum, they are open to review and critique. In other words, if you put it out there, there are bound to be others who will have a suggestion or comment.

Whether you agree with the comments or not is your decision.

Thanks again for your efforts. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Clip
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 28479

Postby Clip » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 pm

I don't have my carb or my jig handy to compare, but I had a plate machined to a drawing I'd found here:

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24466

I didn't verify measurements on my carb or after I received the plate as I was at work (measure twice, cut once?). When I attempted to mount it to the carburetor, the hole for the carb throats was slightly off and required some more machining on a friend's Bridgeport. Didn't give it a second thought as I now have one that works perfectly, if a little ugly.

Just wanted to verify my original assumption that there were only two styles of carb (IH and Zenith) and that my flattening jig was probably mis-measured or machined.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 pm

My comment, of which you asked for, is not questioning your method of making the jig. It is a suggestion to mitigate the chances for error. It's not to make this into a dimensional drawing and have a precise measurement between all the points, it's to make sure when I, or anyone prints this out, that when I start fabrication following your "no measurement needed template" I don't waste time, effort, and material, because some glitch printed it at 3x3 (exaggeration for clarity). Just because you printed it on four different printers doesn't mean the other 7 million combinations of computers, operating systems, and printers will all print it to actual size. Again, it's just a simple step to verify that the template you printed is actually "actual size".

calcub wrote:.... I forgot to mention that the box around the drawing is 4" X 4" ...........

You have included my suggestion already (the 4x4 square box) if you identify it.

After printing, verify that the box around the template is 4" x 4" before continuing.

All it would take is a simple school ruler or a tape measure. Since you reference 12 different measurements in your instructions, including some decimal ones, I think you must expect everyone to at least have a ruler or tape measure.

I do commend you for taking the time and effort to create this whether or not you incorporate any "second set of eyes" comments.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:06 am

I want to say thank you Orv. You made it easy for me to make the jig I have wanted for some time. Ted

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CharlieK » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 am

tnestell wrote:I want to say thank you Orv. You made it easy for me to make the jig I have wanted for some time. Ted

I second that "thank you" Orv... :wink:
get er done; life is good

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:26 am

Stanton wrote:I'm hoping this finds it way into the How To sub-forum for future reference...with or without the measured reference.

It will, I'm just waiting for all the comments come in.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Twitter ID: @farmallcubcom

Postby Dennis » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:32 pm

See first post for updated drawings.

Thanks for all your hard work Orv!

FYI: Notes from Orv:

I have reviewed members many forum comments as well as private messages that I received and have modified the files to include those that I considered most appropriate. The template was expanded to include all specific location dimensions with the exception of the mounting holes. Those are just shown for general placement only. The builder will need to follow the procedure as noted in the EZ how-to or procedure file for accurate placement and drilling of the mounting holes.

The template went from a very simple and basic drawing to one that is more complex. I can only hope that the less technically experienced forum members who interpret this dimensioned file will not have difficulty using it. Making this too complex by displaying a lot of dimensions was not our original intent.

I would welcome any comments you might have if you see any more modifications.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks, Orv. :thumbsup:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:48 pm

I printed the first posting and made made a jig from it. It was easy and straightforward. I did not follow the step by step instructions. The jig came out very nice. Used an old piece if 4" x 5" X 0.25" steel with the print taped to it. Took out two carbs that have been setting in a drawer since 1986. I know one needed a new float and had stopped by Steiner and bought a new one along with two rebuild kits 4 or 5 years ago. When I placed the top of the carbs on the jig neither needed straightening.