EZ Carburetor Straightening Jig and Template

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
calcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95032
Tractors Owned: 2- 1952 Cubs

EZ Carburetor Straightening Jig and Template

Postby calcub » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:51 pm

While visiting my engineer son in Azle, TX over Thanksgiving, we decided to make a drawing and a written procedure to make and use a IH carb straightening jig. The intent was to design this using most tools that are found in a home workshop. The large drill bit(s) could be substituted using a 1 1/8" hole saw depending on the material used for the jig.

I have both, pdf and PowerPoint files format. For purposes of this posting, I will only post the pdf file which is only 1mb in size. The PowerPoint file is 13mb and likely too large to send digitally for many members to open. I can send it upon request.

Orv Buesing
Los Gatos, CA

Updated 1-29-2017:
77a Cub Carb Template with Dimensions PDF
77b Cub Carburetor Flattening Jig Procedure PDF
77a Cub Carburetor Flattening Jig Procedure PDF

Original:
44 Cub_Carburetor_Flattening_Jig_Procedure_compressed.pdf (Use version 77a)
44 Cub Carb Template with hole Diameters
Last edited by Dennis on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated PDF Instructions for CalCub

razerface
Zip Code: 00000

Re: EZ Carburetor Straightening Jig and Template

Postby razerface » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:29 pm

I cant open them. Is there a trick to it?

calcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby calcub » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:22 pm

razerface

Do you have a pdf reader program such as the free downloadable Adobe Reader or another pdf reader loaded on your computer?

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Opens fine, for me.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bbhzx12
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:54 am

razerface wrote:I cant open them. Is there a trick to it?

Are you on an iPhone? If so top right corner click the curved arrow, select direct download.
If it don't go, chrome it.

Bbhzx12
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:00 am

Thanks Calcub
One question, what's the reasoning for the counterbore on the mounting screw holes?
If it don't go, chrome it.

calcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby calcub » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:04 pm

Bbhhzx12

The counterbore on the back side is just to be sure that the tap will go all the way through the material. My tap was too short to go all the way through with full threads before bottoming out. Just insurance to keep from stripping or galling threads. If you have thinner material than the 3/4 inch aluminum scrap that I used it is unlikely that there would be a problem.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:59 am

I would suggest printing a ruler along the side of the template to measure and verify sizing against, after printing, and before starting actual fabrication. Or at least a "measured mile" (i.e. = printing verification; this line is exactly 10 inches long) to verify that when you print it does actually "print to actual size". Have seen several times that it almost does.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:58 am

Scrivet wrote:I would suggest printing a ruler along the side of the template to measure and verify sizing against, after printing, and before starting actual fabrication.

I was thinking the exact same thing. At least put actual outside dimensions on the box that represents the edges of the jig. That would provide a good reference dimensions.

calcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby calcub » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Scrivet » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:59 am
I would suggest printing a ruler along the side of the template to measure and verify sizing against, after printing, and before starting actual fabrication. Or at least a "measured mile" (i.e. = printing verification; this line is exactly 10 inches long) to verify that when you print it does actually "print to actual size". Have seen several times that it almost does.

Unread postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:58 am
Scrivet wrote:I would suggest printing a ruler along the side of the template to measure and verify sizing against, after printing, and before starting actual fabrication.

I was thinking the exact same thing. At least put actual outside dimensions on the box that represents the edges of the jig. That would provide a good reference dimensions.

I think the key here is that this procedure was written so you do not have to measure and layout the jig.
I know some feel that dimensions are great, but by following the directions described including the two-step hole drilling procedure as described in the procedure file, you can build one of these in about half an hour.

To reference the overall position of the holes to the jig, you can tape the drawing using the four mounting holes in the template as locators. Just make sure you have at least 1/2 inch clearance from a mounting hole to the edge of your jig. The actual overall size of the jig does not matter, as long as the carburetor fits within its boundaries.
By clamping and transfer center punching your mounting holes to the jig, you will be spot on. If your carburetor is very warped, you can drill four larger mounting holes in the jig and use a through bolt and nut. A larger mounting hole will allow the actual center of the mounting position to move as the carb is straightened.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Orv,

I think you may have missed the point of Scrivet's comment. Not all printers maintain dimensional consistency with the original digital document. Some slightly enlarge the image while printing and others slightly reduce it. These dimensional inconsistencies (inaccuracies) will necessarily effect the location of the resulting holes in the plate. What is being suggested is a fixed length line to check for those inconsistencies, not for layout purposes.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Look at this link at the bottom of the page to see an example of what we are talking about.
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-info ... -Sizes.pdf

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:47 pm

:Dito:

I would further suggest that you add a ruler or known dimension in BOTH directions. Entirely different mechanisms are responsible for measuring out X and Y axes on the printer. There's no guarantee that any distortion or lack thereof on one axis will be the same on the other axis.

Then again, I'm not sure just how precise this needs to be. You would be making a straightening jig, not the carb itself. As mentioned, letting the holes be very slightly oversize with through bolts will likely be sufficient tolerance to make up for reasonable printer distortion, just as it would be to make up for initial carburetor distortion.

Even so, I would want to have reference dimensions to quantify what the actual distortion is in both axes.
Not only the distortion from my own printer, but also because the computer that encoded the original PDF might be using a different algorithm than the one my computer uses to reproduce it at my end. Macs vs. PCs read some things about PDFs differently, too.
I once had a guy ask me to print a bell housing bolt hole template for a car he was restoring on my large format plotter. Apparently, when I plotted from AutoCAD to PDF and then printed the PDF to the plotter, it introduced too much distortion for the machine shop, though nothing was at all obvious to the naked eye. When I plotted directly from AutoCAD to the plotter, it worked fine for him. Same original DWG.

calcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby calcub » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:06 am

In response to the "you may have missed the point" comment.

There is plenty of margin in the design if you build the jig per the directions. The drilled holes are close enough together that a small amount of tolerance stackup due to printing variations of the template will not matter.

Once you clamp the carb into the jig and center punch the mounting screws you will be fine.

I would hope that we could step aside for a bit with needing precise layout dimensions. I feel after reading forum responses since joining in 2003 that many members do not have precision measuring machinist rules, verniers, etc. The purpose of developing this concept was for ALL members to be able to build this jig without having to use any measurement tools at all. I found that trying to lay-out a jig using Rudy's template was a bit intimidating. Other than hand tools, the only machine tool I use to build this jig plan is a 40 year old drill press. At 80 years old I don't think I will be buying a lot more equipment.

I have printed this file using four different printers (including neighbors) and only one showed a width variation of 1/64".

I would ask that concerned members try manufacturing a jig following the step by step instructions and printed template with some scrap wood, plastic, or other material and let me know if this simplified method of printing and taping to the jig material with the four large holes, and then secondly clamping the carb to the scrap jig material and center punch and drill the mounting holes doesn't work.

I made a jig yesterday using 1/2 inch phenolic (sp) without having any measuring equipment at all using a print from my neighbor's printer. I know this design and building method is a departure for those that are used to using precision measuring tools, but if it works, it should be great for those of us that grew up in a farm environment where baling wire, bubble gum, and spit were often used to keep equipment operational and not having specialty tools available.

And YES, I do have a dimensioned drawing, but I would hope that this simplified method would suffice.

Orv Buesing
Los Gatos, CA

calcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby calcub » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 am

Whoops.... I forgot to mention that the box around the drawing is 4" X 4" if that helps those that are not comfortable with only using the drawing centerpoint locations for the four large holes in the phase one operation. Again, the 4 mounting holes are just general references and they will be accurately located in the second phase after centering and clamping the carb top to the jig and using a center punch