This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trivia time!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Trivia time!

Postby LRiddle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:46 am

I have a couple questions that have been rolling around in my brain that I don't seem to understand, and I'm sure someone here can answer pretty easily.

1. Why is it that reproduction carbs are so expensive? Almost $300 seems pretty high for such a simple device. By comparison, you can by a 4 barrel 650 cfm Holley for just a few dollars more. So what gives with the high price, especially since they aren't factory IH? I'm guessing supply and demand, but not sure.

2. I will readily admit I know very little about transmissions, gearing and such, so could someone explain to me how the PTO manages to spin in the same direction and at the same (engine) speed, no matter the gear and even in reverse. Probably a simple answer, but it's beyond me.

No rush, and no big deal, just somethings that have my curiosity running. Thanks.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trivia time!

Postby Urbish » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:51 am

1. No idea on the carb price. I have often wondered that myself.

2. The PTO can do what it does because the input shaft from the engine passes all the way through the transmission back to the PTO shift collar. That way the PTO is doing whatever the engine is doing regardless of which gear the transmission is in.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:52 am

To expand on the transmission a little bit more. The actual transmission gearing is powered from the input shaft as mentioned. Each gear (each one with a different size and ratio) meshes with the input shaft one at a time (hopefully) to select the speed that is transferred to the differential via a different route while the input shaft becomes an "output" shaft to run the PTO.

For the carb I would agree supply and demand. In all likely hood there's only one company actually making at least a couple components, like the bodies. Limited production runs, change over/set up for the special run all add up. Plus the simple fact that people will pay that amount. If you were selling carbs would you rather sell 10 for $50 or 1 for $500? All speculation on my part of course.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:54 am

I will expand a little more on Scrivet's statement about transmission. The input shaft (coming from clutch) passes all the way through the transmission turning the upper gears in the process. At the rear end of the shaft is a set of splines, and a pilot bushing. The pto shaft extends into that pilot bushing, and has a splined sleeve that slides over the input shaft splines to couple the pto shaft directly to the input shaft. This means there is no gearing to reduce or reverse the pto shaft speed. If you will go to the top left of the page Quick Links, and select PDF manuals, then go down to Service Manuals near the bottom, then to IH Cub Service Manuals, then to Transmission and Differential, and page 3 shows a cut a way of the transmission that may help.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Carb question. Kinda supply and demand. More like volume discount though really. The fewer made the more expensive they are. What really makes me mad is spending $300 on a new carb because there wasn't time to straighten the flange and helicoil the inlet because we had to get our project to the 4H fair. Then when you turn the fuel on the first time, it drips fuel. Arg!!!!

Think about it like this. It cost me about $1800 to rebuild my 4 cylinder cub engine putting out 9 horse last winter. I have rebuild many small block Chevy engines. A V-8 putting out between 300 and 450 hp. Those have never cost more than about $1200. Its all about volume of the parts.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.