This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

guess I am ready

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

guess I am ready

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:59 pm

For the last few years our towns Christmas parade has been a night time parade which I like, I don't even need to wash the tractor. :{_}: This time my son has an afternoon Dr. appointment in St Louis on the same day (Dec 1), and between running close on time, being tired from driving 160 miles, and how much my back has been bothering me lately, not to mention the temperature is expected to be around 30 to 35 degrees with a light wind, I am going to leave the tractor on the trailer for the parade, and a neighbor kid will "drive" it through the parade.

Sorry for the picture, but my camera is a few years old, and ever since I went to LED Christmas lights it will not focus properly if I try to zoom or get any closer.
Attachments
christmas cub.jpg
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: guess I am ready

Postby LRiddle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:28 am

Looks good! Patades are fun to do and people always like to see old tractors. Rusty or shiny, dented or smooth, it doesn't matter. I did one this summer and had a blast.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

les king
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75835
Tractors Owned: 2 -184's, 2-154's, 12-cubs high crop, 1 with fast hitch, 1- lobby with fast hitch, several parts tractors.

Postby les king » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:31 am

Yeah it really looks great ,glad you said something about your camera, I thought I saw a bulb that was burned out. Just funing you all.

razerface
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby razerface » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:50 am

awww,,,take it off the trailer and let the same neighbor kid drive it. Not near as exciting on a trailer as seeing it running down the road. You will get home and wish you drove it!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:25 am

razerface wrote:awww,,,take it off the trailer and let the same neighbor kid drive it. Not near as exciting on a trailer as seeing it running down the road. You will get home and wish you drove it!

Neighbor kid has never driven a tractor, plus most parades require either a licensed operator or 18 years old, of which she is neither. Anyone who has ever driven in a small town parade where there is no crowd control knows how dangerous an inexperienced operator can be with kids running out to see floats or grab candy that has been thrown. Those kids can run quicker than their parents can grab them. I was in a parade a few years ago where a little girl about 4 or 5 years old had a sack of candy and looked at me as I went by and held her sack out. Since we travel at walking speed due to bands, the traveling is done in 1st, at an idle or slightly above. I looked at her and said " I don't have any candy, are you going to give me some?" Faster than her mother could move or I could think, she darted out to bring me some candy. You wouldn't believe how fast I locked down the brakes on my old Farmall H !!! :o Watching the parade traffic which frequently speeds up and slows down, as well as the kids (and some adults) on both sides of the road, sometimes standing along the edges of the street rather than on sidewalks is a job for an alert and experienced driver.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 am

les king wrote:Yeah it really looks great ,glad you said something about your camera, I thought I saw a bulb that was burned out. Just funing you all.
Cheap LED Christmas lights do not have well filtered power supplies feeding them. Some do not even have DC supplies, they just illuminate on half the AC cycle. That can drive an auto focus camera nuts. It took about 12 tries to get a picture good enough to post.

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:54 am

Looks Great John,
It sure is awful nice of you to take the time for the boys and girls enjoyment.
But I'm kinda thinking you enjoy it just as much? I know I do. :)
Bruce.

Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:41 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
les king wrote:Yeah it really looks great ,glad you said something about your camera, I thought I saw a bulb that was burned out. Just funing you all.
Cheap LED Christmas lights do not have well filtered power supplies feeding them. Some do not even have DC supplies, they just illuminate on half the AC cycle. That can drive an auto focus camera nuts. It took about 12 tries to get a picture good enough to post.

Would the old bulb type Xmas lights work using DC voltage or would they require the use of an inverter?
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:39 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:. . . Anyone who has ever driven in a small town parade where there is no crowd control knows how dangerous an inexperienced operator can be with kids running out to see floats or grab candy that has been thrown. Those kids can run quicker than their parents can grab them.

Some parades have banned the throwing of candy for exactly that reason. If you could guarantee that ALL the candy was thrown into the crowd, it would be OK. But I have never seen a parade where candy was thrown that some of it didn't end up in the street (and get run over).

On this one, I agree with the ban.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:55 pm

We went to a parade a few years back and we took some coozies from our wedding, we threw them to people we didn't even know. You should have seen the look on their faces.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Sailor wrote:......Would the old bulb type Xmas lights work using DC voltage or would they require the use of an inverter?
The light strings are 120 volts, so you would have to figure a way to get 120 volts DC, or chop the strings up in pieces. That info was for the series strings where if you remove 1 bulb the other go out. Inverter is the way to go. Due to the amount of current the blower to inflate the polar bear requires I have a 1200 watt generator I use for my setup.

les king
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75835
Tractors Owned: 2 -184's, 2-154's, 12-cubs high crop, 1 with fast hitch, 1- lobby with fast hitch, several parts tractors.

Postby les king » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:33 pm

The LED I was referring to is on the other side of the trailer, man this NOG is good for my eye sight ,wonder if NASA needs help finding a new planet

Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:54 am

Sailor wrote:......Would the old bulb type Xmas lights work using DC voltage or would they require the use of an inverter?
The light strings are 120 volts, so you would have to figure a way to get 120 volts DC, or chop the strings up in pieces. That info was for the series strings where if you remove 1 bulb the other go out. Inverter is the way to go. Due to the amount of current the blower to inflate the polar bear requires I have a 1200 watt generator I use for my setup.

Thanks John.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:45 am

Sailor wrote:

Thanks John.
Forgot to mention, I have a small 2,000 watt inverter that is big enough to run it, but the only spare battery I have is an 8 year old one from my handicap scooter that does not hold enough current to run it for the whole parade, and I did not think my wife would like me taking the one out of her car to do it. :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:38 am

All went well last night, start time was 40 degrees with a light breeze, and by the time parade was over it was down to 35 degrees. I had the heater cranked up nearly all the way, and the windows open so I could hear what was going on. Christian is a lot tougher than I am, she rode the tractor the entire parade. We had about the 2nd biggest crowd I have ever seen at one of our night parades, which was really surprising considering the temperature. The polar bear has a motor with an offset weight that hangs inside it and makes it shiver. The kids and adults both got a big kick out of that polar bear shivering while it was standing right behind her.

Return to “Farmall Cub”