This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

transmission noise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

transmission noise

Postby john2189 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Ive read a lot of posts about transmissions whining and/or noisy. I have two 49 and one 72 and all of them are quiet when moving in all gears.AM i just lucky? do I have low hour tractors? are most tractors loud?

John
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: transmission noise

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:31 pm

I have one that is very quiet. My others all make noise to one degree or another. As the gear teeth wear, they tend to develop a whine. Some tractors will have a loud whine in one gear but not the others. This is usually because the tractor spent many years on some specific job that used one gear (for example cultivating or mowing). Although I wouldn't call the whine "normal", many people do. It certainly is common and generally harmless.

Other noises may sound like a click, grind, screech, growl, or whatever. These noises are cause for concern. They usually indicate problems like bad bearings etc. and should be fixed before the damage gets worse. Having them pop out of gear is another indication that a repair is needed.

Return to “Farmall Cub”