48 Grader Blade

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
COJACK
Zip Code: 81623
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

48 Grader Blade

Postby COJACK » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Ok, so here is my first inquiry. I am trying to mount my 48 grader blade in the front position before it snows. Thanks to this forum, I am sure that is what I have. I am missing the front and rear lifting rods (part Nos. 650 136 R2 and 650 135 R1), the lifting lever(part no. 650 146 R3), the bell crank extension (part no. 650 162 R91), and the axle hanger bolt (part no. 13 758 R1). I am hoping to fabricate this stuff during my holiday break, but I could sure use some measurements. I can probably get close just based off of the manual photos, but if someone could do some measurements it would sure be a great help. The manual is in the quick links under cub attachments, plows and blades, and McCormick Deering leveling and Grader Blade (1948) for reference to the above part numbers. I am hoping I can find an appropriate bolt at the local parts house for the Axle hanger bolt, but it would be great to know exactly what size it is as well. One last question, the left axle brace shows mounting to the rear tractor mounting pad with a 5/8" bolt, but when I checked my tractor it appears to have a 3/4" bolt in that location. Any thoughts or suggestions on that one? I could just drill out the brace to accept the larger bolt, but would I just be creating future problems for other attachments? The other alternative and much more difficult in my mind would be to fix the mounting pad so that it would receive the 5/8" bolt.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

COJACK
Zip Code: 81623
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Re: 48 Grader Blade

Postby COJACK » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:38 pm

I guess I should have searched first. After I posted a thread came up that gave me the initial lifting rod and arm dimensions, so I only need the bell crank extension dimensions and a spec for the Axle hanger bolt and anyone's thoughts on that last bit about the rear mounting pad bolt size.

Thanks,

Jack

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10 pm

In lieu of the spacers that go through the square hole in the bolster, I have a piece of square steel tubing with nuts welded to the ends. The overall length has the surface of the nuts sitting just proud of the edge of the casting when installed. Then I just use two shorter bolts to attach the plow bracket and to provide the pivot for the lift arm.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Hanger Bolt...

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/012fp.htm

John Puckett has a sketch of the bellcrank extension. Maybe he can post it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:56 pm

The rear holes are all 5/8". Your big one was probably wallered out and drilled and tapped to the 3/4". If you can, you may want to correct it with an insert. PM sent.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:10 am

My rear mount hole did get worn from years of use with the blade and sickle bar mower (the only pieces I have that mount to it). I drilled and tapped it for 3/4", then drilled the mounting arm hole. No problem with it for the past 15 yrs.
I posted several demensions on rods and mounting arms on another thread "snow plow". You can PM me if you like, I'll help if I can. I have an original '48 blade, not too many out there that I've seen on here.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?: