This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Original cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
les king
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75835
Tractors Owned: 2 -184's, 2-154's, 12-cubs high crop, 1 with fast hitch, 1- lobby with fast hitch, several parts tractors.

Original cub

Postby les king » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:35 am

This form, among many others, is very important discussion between the curious and experienced of a device that was designed to replace some duties of a horse. Every time I aquire a cub, I don't collect horses, I am trying to put it back to an original configuration and running. My reason, I am hoping a young lady or man will take an interest and realize what a great teaching tool this little horse replacer is. It has it all. Fluid control, thermosyphon AND hydraulics .electrical, DC, AC, magneto and ect. what a better way to understand the combustion engine, transfer of power leverage, using gears ,pivot points and arms. I am still amazed of all the task that was engineered with out help of today's tools. I was in the elevator industry and still have a deep respect for all that was accomplished with out computers. Great reading from you all. There is no such thing as a stupid question. They all need to be answered. Ignoring rants is perfectly acceptable. Back to the pie, need more sugar.Thank you

Bbhzx12
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Re: Original cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:30 am

I got our 59 to teach my boys how it works, how to keep something running, and how to drive at some point. It's a great opportunity!
If it don't go, chrome it.

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby LRiddle » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 pm

I bought my cub to mow grass and plow snow. But now I'm using it teach my boy how to use a clutch and learn general mechanics as well. Perfect little family tractors almost 70 years later.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

COJACK
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 81623
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby COJACK » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:44 pm

Great thinking. I got mine to maintain my 5 acre lot with something more interesting than a modern lawn tractor. I think I might have to use it for some teaching opportunities with my Boy Scout Troop. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jack

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:00 pm

COJACK wrote: I think I might have to use it for some teaching opportunities with my Boy Scout Troop.

Jack

I'm not sure I would do that in todays world. Can you even show them how to sharpen a knife?

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Bought my first after my Mom passed, I needed a diversion and I saw the little red Lo-boy in front of a local farm for sale. It brought me back to my childhood when my farmer friends would be working behind our home on the bigger farmalls. The rest as they say is history.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

les king
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75835
Tractors Owned: 2 -184's, 2-154's, 12-cubs high crop, 1 with fast hitch, 1- lobby with fast hitch, several parts tractors.

Postby les king » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:02 pm

What got me thinking about keeping things original was reading here in the forum about someone trying to replace the voltage regulater with a solid-state one encased in the old original case. I had made a temporary regulater using a 555 IC and a 5v relay for the cutout. I put them in a prescription bottle with the wires coming out of the top.one of the kids down the street saw and inquired. He helped me clean the old one and we set up a bench top lab. I showed him how the old one worked and of course he had to know how the temp worked. Now he is instructing some of his friends, I am getting a little bit of semi free labor and company in my shop. The excitement of seeing some one learn sure helps the old ticker. My soda supply keeps disappearing.

Bbhzx12
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bbhzx12 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:24 am

[/quote]

I'm not sure I would do that in todays world. Can you even show them how to sharpen a knife?[/quote]

Sure, if you can find your totin chip card...
Where did I put that??

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:39 am

To all of the above contributors, I can confirm the teaching/learning opportunities involved with these machines.
As I've stated before in previous posts. I have been operating and helping to maintain my 1948 Cub from the time I was a young boy (9 or10 I'm 57 now).
It taught me the basics of the internal combustion engine, how to use a clutch/manual transmission, how to drive by teaching action/reaction, and many other aspects of physics i.e. lifting, or pushing/pulling heavy loads with the aid of leverage vs brute force.
I applaud all of you who are passing this knowledge on to another generation that think everything just automatically works by pushing a button. Well done all.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:28 am

Unread postby Bbhzx12 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:24 am
[/quote]

I'm not sure I would do that in todays world. Can you even show them how to sharpen a knife?[/quote]

Where did I put that??

Was looking through old box of papers and my old scout things , found my totin chip card . Had to laugh only had two corners on it.
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

COJACK
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby COJACK » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:59 pm

indy61 wrote:
COJACK wrote: I think I might have to use it for some teaching opportunities with my Boy Scout Troop.

Jack

I'm not sure I would do that in todays world. Can you even show them how to sharpen a knife?

I think you might be confusing the Boy Scout program with our 'modern school' system. In the BSA we still teach knife safety, woods tools safety, and shooting sports.

COJACK
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby COJACK » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Bbhzx12 wrote:

Where did I put that??[/quote]

lol...probably has all the corners clipped off anyway!

Bbhzx12
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bbhzx12 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:06 pm

COJACK wrote:
Bbhzx12 wrote:

Where did I put that??[/quote]

lol...probably has all the corners clipped off anyway![/quote]

No doubt!! ROTFL. Great memory!