This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1959 McCormic Farmall Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gjpgonzo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01906
Tractors Owned: 1958 McCormic Farmall Cub

Re: 1959 McCormic Farmall Cub

Postby gjpgonzo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Why such small amount of weight? Doesn't sound right. I bet some of the implements were that heavy..

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Waif » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:01 pm

gjpgonzo wrote:Why such small amount of weight? Doesn't sound right. I bet some of the implements were that heavy..

Implements mounting location distribute weight and take advantage of casting design.
Too , as mentioned ,brakes are limited and additional weight will reduce braking ability.
My cub needs the tourqe tube replaced. Some one stressed it in a manner it was not designed for.
On a level surface the brakes stop the tractors own weight in a given distance with a given holding power.
Any added weight will reduce efficiency. 500 lbs is just shy of a third the tractors dry weight. Safety means riding another day , for both the operator and the tractor.
Friction brakes on a slope , overloaded means not being able to set them to unhook load without risk of tractor rolling downhill.
No place to be if unhooking a boat.
Any fuel problem ,like low fuel sloshing to low side of tank,or stalling could make a day go bad.

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Backing a boat down a ramp with a cub sounds pretty nasty to me. I wouldn't do it. My freshly re-lined break bands barely stop the thung in reverse, let alone with weight, downhill. Recipe for disaster.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:33 pm

A quick check on YouTube will show a dozen 4,000lb pickups that slid down the ramp into the water. Do you think a 1,500 lb tractor will resist the weight of a boat and trailer any better or worse?
:surrender:
Somehow I think your gonna do it anyway so please wear a life jacket and kill the engine before it goes under so it doesn't hydrolock.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:02 pm

gjpgonzo wrote:For the boat: I only have to pull it out of the water into onto land. Not much of a grade. Think that will be ok?
Mount a winch on the Cub and chain it to the nearest tree. Put a set of dolly wheels under the tongue of the trailer. Winch the boat out or in as necessary. Still get to use the Cub with no chance of baptizing it on the end of a boat trailer.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Scrivet wrote:
gjpgonzo wrote:. . . chain it to the nearest tree.

Just run the chain from the tree back to the winch mount. You don't want to pull the tractor apart.

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:52 pm

Sounds like an awful lot of work just to involve a cub. I'd stick with a big truck.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:03 am

LRiddle wrote:Sounds like an awful lot of work just to involve a cub. I'd stick with a big truck.

This would be the obvious answer, but I'm guessing he thought it would be fun and pretty cool to do the task with the Cub. I totally agree on that "if" it could be done but all things considered it's an idea with a most certain bad outcome.
So...
Use the truck. :wink:
You'll have other safer and fun uses for the cub.
Mike

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby clm2112 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:12 am

I'll offer an opinion... I routinely move fairly heavy boats and trailers around with the Cub, the heaviest being 3675 lbs (I weighed it at a truck stop). On level ground, gravel surface it is no problem. Just stay in first gear and crawl along so it doesn't develop a ton of momentum. On a grade, up to about 5% it can handle it. Beyond that, traction becomes the issue. If your ramp area is grass, then you probably will start slipping the ag lug tires and turn the ramp into mud.

Of course, you want to make sure the boat is positioned properly on the trailer so that it has about 100 to 200 lbs of tongue weight. Have somebody ready to chock the trailer tires if it ends up being more than the Cub can handle. As the hull comes out of the water, the load on the Cub is going to increase. By the time the trailer tires are coming out of the water, you'll have the entire load on the Cub, so that will be where the any issues with traction will get ugly. At least it will not pull you and the Cub into the water, as soon as the hull gets into the water, the load on the Cub will drop off quickly.

And as an aside, people who use trucks to launch and recover are at a disadvantage over a tractor. Which is probably why there are so many videos online where the tow vehicle gets pulled down the ramp and out with the boat. First, they have less traction on the ramp. Second, they tend to forget that their vehicle will float to a certain extent. Yeah, a Ford F-150 will float if you get the back end of it in the water. That 18 gallon fuel tank under the bed starts out as ballast on the rear axle, but becomes buoyant when it is submerged in water... oops! Fuel floats ;)
Last edited by clm2112 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 am

If you have your heart set on towing the boat with the Cub, Curt has some good advice. One additional factor is that as the tongue weight increases, steering effectiveness decreases, especially going up hill. If your trailer/boat combination has the tongue weight set up for towing with a larger vehicle, it may not be easy to lower the tongue weight.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby clm2112 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:37 am

Yeah, Don's point about tongue weight... most boat trailers are set up with tongue weights about 10% of the total weight of the boat and trailer. That is great for stability out on the highway and keeps the boat from porpoising while motoring down the road. But that much weight isn't needed if you are just moving it around your property, launching, and recovering.

If you can, put a scale under the tongue of the trailer, then adjust the axle and/or sampson post on the trailer to better balance the boat on the trailer. Another option is lengthening the tongue on the trailer. I have one that I modified using a Fulton folding tongue, which added a few feet to the overall length of the trailer, adding leverage. Also kept the wheels of the tow vehicle a little further away from the water line on the ramp.

Here, I dug around my PC and found a photo from years ago to help explain it... don't laugh at the 1990 Bonneville being used as a tow vehicle, it worked great in that role down in Florida (where most of the ramps were paved, and a front-wheel drive car worked far better than a rear wheel drive pickup). Regardless of what you are using, be it a Cub or a truck, the important thing is having traction and good balance on the load. Even the brakes are not a big issue... like the Cub owners manual warns: Keep it in Gear and keep the speeds low when pulling heavy loads. :)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:41 pm

clm2112 wrote:Even the brakes are not a big issue.
Big issue. In reverse, brakes on the Cub are slightly better then non existent.

Normally you back the boat and trailer down the ramp to the water.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:53 pm

A car or truck is going to outweigh a Cub by at least 3 to 1, besides having decent hydraulic (and power) brakes on all 4 wheels. If you back a car or truck in far enough for buoyancy to make a noticeable difference, you are already in trouble. The tow vehicle shouldn't have to go that far into the water unless you are trying to float the Queen Mary or maybe a Liberty Ship.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:36 pm

I used to tow a boat that size with a car like that, it used to push me through stop streets on a wet road. That's why I bought a truck (4x4). Tows,launches and hauls out the weight of a Grady White Overnighter, 225 OB and a dual axle trailer without a hint of issue.
Oh and I never get my rear tires wet when launching or hauling.
Oh ya, I move and park that rig with the tractor and it is really helpful at that, but that's on level ground. I'd never entertain the idea on doing that on a grade.
Generally those that launch their vehicles with their boats have been pushing the limits. Been towing for just about 40 years and my risk taking decisions are behind me. Good advise has been given but we can't make you accept it.
Mike

gjpgonzo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01906
Tractors Owned: 1958 McCormic Farmall Cub

Postby gjpgonzo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:01 pm

I accept. I'm running out the door right now. Will reply with a proper ty for all of the replys tomorrow:)

Return to “Farmall Cub”