This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spark timing proceedure

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights
Circle of Safety: Y

Spark timing proceedure

Postby ShawnAgne » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Think I need to check the timing on the distributor as I don't think it's firing at TDC. Want to make sure I understand correctly how to hook stuff (i.e. the test light) up.

1. Ground the test light back on the battery ground and put the probe in the #1 location on the distributor.
2. Disconnect the wire from the coil to the distributor, so I don't get a spark.
3. Pull the switch to turn on the electrical flow.
4. Adjust the rotor on the distributor till the test light comes on.
Shawn Agne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: Spark timing proceedure

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi,
If the engine runs, I would use a timing light, like cars use, to check the timing.
Here is a page from the Cub service manual showing the marks. Set it at mark number 1 when the engine is at idle speed, 500 RPM.
I don't know if you have a magneto or Battery Ignition Unit.
If it is Battery Ignition, the timing should advance to mark 2 as you speed up the engine to full speed. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-43.jpg

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:00 pm

No the engine isn't running yet. I installed a brand new rebuild 184 motor on my cub. I have a battery ignition unit.
Shawn Agne

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi,
I see.
I would make sure the engine is turned to number 1 cylinder at TDC, using the mark in the link in my post above, then remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor is turned to number 1, and all the ignition wires are connected right on the cap. Number 1 should be at 2 oclock on the cap.
If everything is put together right, it should start. Then use the timing light and check the timing. :)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:03 am

ShawnAgne wrote:Think I need to check the timing on the distributor as I don't think it's firing at TDC. Want to make sure I understand correctly how to hook stuff (i.e. the test light) up.

1. Ground the test light back on the battery ground and put the probe in the #1 location on the distributor.
2. Disconnect the wire from the coil to the distributor, so I don't get a spark.
3. Pull the switch to turn on the electrical flow.
4. Adjust the rotor on the distributor till the test light comes on.
Couple of problems with this procedure. 1. There is a gap between the rotor and plug wire terminal inside the distributor cap. 2. The coil fires when the ignition points open.

Static time the engine. Simple process.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Yes that is what I'm after. Appears the rotor isn't quite to 2 o'clock in the distributor, so looks like it needs to be rotated a little. May be a silly question, do I want the light to be on or off to show it is properly set?
Shawn Agne

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi,
The post on the side of the distributor, where the wire hooks on that goes to the coil, should point straight out to the right when the engine is timed correctly. Below is a pic.
There are many gear teeth on the drive gear on the end of the distributor shaft, the teeth can be turned wrong, and need changing with the teeth position.
If it is off too much, pull out the distributor from the base, by loosening the 2 bolts at the clamps, one bolt is behind, on the engine side, pull the distributor out some, and turn the gear to the position so the rotor is at the right position. You can turn the rotor, and not pull the shaft way out of the base.
I Don't know what light you mean, the only light I use is a timing light for a car, they are 12 volts, hook it up to a 12 volt battery, so it is bright, they are dim on 6 volts. The other wire hooks to the number 1 cylinder ignition wire. Then you run the engine, and point the light at the timing marks, and it flashes when number 1 is firing. That is what they are talking about in the service manual link that I posted above.
Here is a page from the cub owner's manual showing the distributor, and the cap position, in the lower left pic. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-31.jpg
Attachments
Cub.jpg

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:11 am

To static time battery ignition, I do the following.
Bring number 1 piston up to TDC on compression stroke. Rotor should be pointing to number one tower on distributor. Loosen bolt holding distributor so it can be rotated. Turn distributor clockwise a little. Turn ignition switch on. Pull number one wire from plug and while holding wire close to ground, turn distributor counterclockwise until you get a spark. Tighten distributor down.
Thomas

Return to “Farmall Cub”