This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Haying with a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Re: Haying with a Cub

Postby DickB » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:02 am

tst wrote:I did around 10,000 bales this season, some times I use a cub to rake with if I want to test the tractor out, almost never ted hay, need 3 good days to cut, dry, rake and bale hay, here is a 49 cub with me pulling a full size hay rake
Tim

Tim, yet again you've made my day. I'll go on that, along with learning to cut a bit high. You and I do live in the same region although you, being down at nearly river level would I think get more rain than me, but ... ?? ... I don't know. Dead of summer on a good year I think you've got it for the optimists among us (like me). I'd still like to come across one of those wheel powered hay kickers/tedders. Who has one rusting out in the field or barn? And I'd like to learn from that girl on how to run those hay windrows with a pitchfork.

While straying just a bit from straight Cub issues, this has been an incredibly helpful forum thread for me. Thanks to all.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:05 am

The hay rake pictured in Ike's and TST's post, called a side deliver rank in this part of the woods. They frequently come up for auction at farm sales. Some of the local farmers still use them to windrow hay and turn the windrows to dry the hay.

The locals are round baling hay, then plastic wraping the round bales.

Last time the family put up loose hay was around 1950, 1951. Still remember my dad operating a huge buck rake. Picking up the hay, depositing the hay on a hay rack.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:03 pm

WaMoo wrote:I put up 22 acres of hay with the Cub this year. We're blessed with low summer humidity, so, no tedding necessary. Nobody teds around here. Also, I have a wheel on the end of my sickle bar to raise it up a little. I end up with about a 6" stubble, which helps also.

Hi. Just finished cutting the back field and I tried to keep the sicklebar up, but it didn't work out. The Touch Control was about 1/2 up but still I found that the end of the bar was down really low. And when, as is often here, the up's and down's of the field caused the bar to be either up in the air of down in the dust. So, I would like, if it works out and is possible, a photo or description of the wheel on the end of the sicklebar. Something that, I'm hopeful, that I can make up.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby WaMoo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:07 pm

DickB wrote:So, I would like, if it works out and is possible, a photo or description of the wheel on the end of the sicklebar. Something that, I'm hopeful, that I can make up.

Here's a link to some pictures. Enjoy!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85868
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

Return to “Farmall Cub”