This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shifter pops out of 1st gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dblact38
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13755

Shifter pops out of 1st gear

Postby dblact38 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi all, I have a 1952 cub. Can someone please tell me why my shifter pops out of 1st gear and is it an easy fix Iam not a mechanic but good with working on things. I was told I might have to take my shifter and plate off Is it easy to take off and reinstall any steps I have to follow? any information will help Thank you
Gary

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Shifter pops out of 1st gear

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Gary, Place the transmission in neutral. Remove the bolts holding the shifter in place. When it is off, check the left fork and see if it is loose on the shaft or perhaps cracked. Also check the ball on the end of the shifter and see if it might be worn significantly smaller. While the shifter is off, check the color of the gear oil, if it is like a vanilla milkshake, time to change the gear oil.

Bob

Edit: It will be the fork on the right as Glen states in his later post.
Last edited by Bob McCarty on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi,
Yes, the right side shifter fork is for 1st and reverse. The left fork is for 2nd and 3rd. Check the right fork, or both if you remove the shifter, to see if they are damaged or loose.
The shifter mechanism uses 2 shafts, a shaft for each side, sliding back and forth when you move the lever, and has grooves that a ball fits in, there is a spring that pushes on the ball. If it is popping out of gear, it could be worn parts.
Here is a pic of how it should look, the bottom of the pic is the left side of the tractor. You can see the forks and shafts in the pic.
Below that is pics from TM Tractor of the parts. The edges of the cuts in the shaft can wear over the years, and the shaft moves by itself when you are using the tractor, the 1st gear on yours, you said. Or the spring can be weak, or someone put it together wrong.
Or the lever might not be moving so it is fully in 1st gear, I don't know without being there.
Transmission work isn't something everyone might want to do, some people might want a shop to do it. It's your choice. :)
Attachments
Cub trans 4.JPG
Cub shifter rod.jpg
Cub shifter spring.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Glen wrote:Pardon me Bob, but the shifter fork for 1st and reverse is the right side fork. :)

Glen, You're right. I was just thinking you moved the lever to the left and wasn't thinking about which side the ball ended up on. :oops:

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:50 pm

One quick piece of advice and I may be stating the obvious, but make sure you clean the area around the plate first. You don't want debris dropping into the gear box.
mine is a working tractor and gets pretty dirty overall.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi,
It's ok Bob, I just wanted dblact38 to check the correct fork and shaft.

dblact38
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13755

Postby dblact38 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:05 am

thanks guys for all of your advise I will check it out next time I go up to my place

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:24 am

Our '49 was doing the same thing except for it wouldn't stay in reverse, turns out it was the bolt loose on the shifter rod. It was a simple fix and helped a lot.

When you take the top plate off you will notice a little trough on the front and rear that leads to an oil hole for the bearings. Be sure they are clean and free of dirt etc. You can take a small drill bit and get most of it our if they are stopped up.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12477

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:29 am

I had one that would not stay in third gear. After a lot of head scratching, I found an extra detent ball keeping the rod from moving all the way forward. So now I have a spare in case I ever lose one!
Paul Van Benschoten

Getzy
Zip Code: 18064

Postby Getzy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Paul Van Benschoten wrote:I had one that would not stay in third gear. After a lot of head scratching, I found an extra detent ball keeping the rod from moving all the way forward. So now I have a spare in case I ever lose one!

Mine keeps doing this too.... i just picked it up it was given too me and it wont stay in 3rd gear

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:17 pm

This thread is over 3 years old and now locked from further discussion. Please create a new topic.

Thanks!
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”