This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Big Screw Up On Gas Tank, Need Some Advice

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Big Screw Up On Gas Tank, Need Some Advice

Postby ctltmp » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:01 am

I was going to post about how well the paint on the rolling chassis came out yesterday, but instead I have this.....

While doing dolly and hammer work on the hood the hood & tank slipped off the saw horses and put a big crease/dent in the tank. :( Options I can think of are:
1) Stud weld and pull (I don't have a stud welder and it's a no-no welding around a gas tank.
2) Slide hammer pull (will leave holes in the tank to deal with).
3) Fill with body filler (awfully deep to fill up).

This was my screw up, and a big one. I figure someone on the site had to deal with a dent in the tank before. I'd appreciate any suggestions. :help:
dent.jpg
WV Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Big Screw Up On Gas Tank, Need Some Advice

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:20 am

i'd use a stud gun. If you can't get one bring to your local body shop and see if they can pop it out for you. Or check out Harbor freight, they may have one reasonably priced. I wouldn't recommend drilling and using a dent puller.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:43 am

Hard to tell the extent of the dent. Didn't look that bad in the photo.

Auto body filler would be the least expensive route.

You can weld on a gas tank. You need to completely water flush the tank several times, then set in the sun for several days. Idea is to remove all traces of gasoline fumes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:19 pm

I have heard that putting dry ice in the tank will displace the fumes with CO2 as it gasifies.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:38 pm

It's a pretty deep crease. Must have hit on the edge of one of the blocks I had it on. I'm not a big believer in a lot of body filler. If I went that route I'd use tiger hair.

If I'd drill and use a slide hammer does j.b. weld hold up to gas?
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:30 pm

ctltmp wrote:If I'd drill and use a slide hammer does j.b. weld hold up to gas?
Visit your local well stocked hardware store and auto parts store. Epoxy rack, read the labels. There are epoxies suitable for mending gas tanks.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:01 pm

i Wouldn't drill a perfectly good tank.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:14 pm

I'd just call it added character and move on.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:44 pm

My Super A tank had fist-sized dent in the top, one of those battle scars from 50-some years of use. The man who did the body work and painted it drilled a big hole in the bottom and then used a steel rod to tap the dent back out. Then welded the hole shut. If you have access to a stud welder I'd fill it full of water, weld your studs, and go to pulling. I'm not the world's foremost expert on body filler but if you go that route, I'd use the green fiberglass putty.

Whatever you do, don't leave it. If you've taken the time to go down to bare metal and do hammer and dolly work, it's gonna look like pooh when you paint it and you're gonna hate it!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:23 pm

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it's on the back end that faces you when seated.
If you can get the angle, I'ld try a wooden or brass dowell rod through the filler cap and try to hammer it out from the inside.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:59 pm

I would heat that spot with a propane torch and use a boomerang shaped bar stock through the fill hole to tap or push it back out. degas it as they said above first

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 pm

It is on the back of the tank curved surface. I wish I could get to it from the fill hole. There's a partition in the tank that won't allow access with a tool from the inside.
WV Mike

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby clm2112 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:41 pm

I hate to say it, but welding a stud to it and pulling the dent out from the outside is the ticket. I don't think one of the suction cup type pullers will have much luck with that crease in the middle. Drilling it out with a slide-hammer and screws is sort of a B.S. way to do a fuel tank, you end up with a lot of work plugging the holes and invariably some of the screws raise the metal. If you do it yourself, purge that tank of all the fuel residue before.

Or take it to a body shop and have them pull the dent, and shrink the metal to take the crease out. (I've seen that done using an acetylene torch and a pick ended hammer.. laborious work, but about the only way you can work on it without cutting the tank apart and welding it closed after.)

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:11 pm

I think I'd just opt to take it to a local body shop and see if they'll pull it out and fill, sand, and prep the whole hood for paint. Something like that should cost less than $200, and would be money well spent in my book. You'll spend a week of screwing around with it, and potentially ruin the tank, and still not be happy with it. If your time was money, you wouldn't even have asked us. I'm learning as I "grow up" that sometimes, you're just way better off letting a professional take care of your problems rather than trying to figure out the right way to do it.

Another one in my book is putting new brushes in a starter/generator and rebuilding it. The new brushes/parts/bearings are $25, and I can spend 2 hours taking it apart, cleaning, trying to put it back together correct, then wondering if it will work..... OR, I can take the starter to my local armature shop and for $75, I can drop it off, leave it for 2 days, and come back to a perfectly operating, tested, and warrantied rebuild by a professional who has been doing it for 40+ years. That's a cheap $75 in my book, which is really only $50, because I was going to spend the $25 on brushes/parts/bearings anyway.

So, as I said, if it were me, the hood would be at a local body shop in the morning.

Good luck!
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:21 pm

clm2112 wrote:I hate to say it, but welding a stud to it and pulling the dent out from the outside is the ticket. I don't think one of the suction cup type pullers will have much luck with that crease in the middle. Drilling it out with a slide-hammer and screws is sort of a B.S. way to do a fuel tank, you end up with a lot of work plugging the holes and invariably some of the screws raise the metal. If you do it yourself, purge that tank of all the fuel residue before.

Or take it to a body shop and have them pull the dent, and shrink the metal to take the crease out. (I've seen that done using an acetylene torch and a pick ended hammer.. laborious work, but about the only way you can work on it without cutting the tank apart and welding it closed after.)

I'd agree with this. In my area we have a talented guy who removes dents like this in automobiles without harming paint.
Seen it done, without his talent though I'd do it the way described above. Its a fuel tank I wouldn't add holes.
Mike.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall Cub”