This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not Charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Not Charging

Postby DickB » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:17 pm

The not so great news aboard the Cub was that the meter didn't show a charge when out in the field full time for a few days straight. I'd just sicklebar cut, hay raked about 4 acres. I had no idea how long it hadn't charged so it was a fairly quick chug back to the barn where the tractor sat for a week while I fussed and fumed at myself. Over the last year or two the new regulator and generator did really great but rarely, now and then, the meter showed that it wasn't charging. For that, being the inexpert that I am, I gently knocked the side the regulator (what else is a 2-bit mechanic to do?), and ... voila! ... it started charging again. But not this time. Knock knock and knock and no charge. Oh, and fall is starting up and winter coming on...and who wants to fuss with repair work in a cold winter?

The generator was a rebuilt "brand new" one from the IH dealer; the regulator was actually, really, brand new and also from the same dealer and was from India. It was mentioned that they seemed to sell lots of them and no complaints to speak about, but check the points. Which I did and lightly ran a tiny piece of extremely fine, 400 grit, emory paper through them. All worked well except for knocking alongside the regulator--no more than 3 times in a few years.

But this time no amount of knocking did the trick. Hoping for a quick fix, Mr. Not-so-hot Fixit 1) disconnected battery, 2) unscrewed regulator base and top to get at the points, and 3) used a NAPA $2 ignition point file (you guys read me the riot act for using the 400 grit emory paper) to lightly dress the points--one set looked super clean and the other looked like I should save up for a US built regulator-- the cost of the US vs. the India regulator (alongside the purchase of the rebuilt generator) made my wallet blow way in a light breeze...otherwise I'd have passed on the Indian one. Mr. Not-so-hot put it back together and YES! Charging. Yes, charging like crazy...the needle practically pinned...seems that it must have been running off the battery for some time.

So all of this to share some info. I sure didn't look forward to a major attack on the whole electrical charging issue -- hood off, all that. This was simple, and I'm so thankful for that. Now, back to the field and those windrows of hay.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Not Charging

Postby inairam » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 pm

If you have checked and cleaned the connections and still no charge I say regulator.

This is a very good post on testing the electrical system http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 40&t=38133

I have had a very uneven record with regulators. I have purchased US made and overseas made and can say I do not see a difference in longevity. There is a cut out rely on my '48 that looks to have been for decades. This year when my 6 v '49 was not charging I tried an electronic regulator from Clover Systems http://cloversystems.com/products/other ... regulator/ They come in various flavors. +/- ground and 6 & 12 V. The first one I purchased I sent them my regulator and they put the unit inside so it looks the same as stock. They no longer offer the service. The unit worked great, but it has only been a few months.

The second one I purchased I found out they no longer put it inside. In taking apart my dead regulator to put the unit in I found a number of corrosion and carbon tracking issues on a regulator that was less than 3 years old could have caused the failure. I have not reassembled the unit, but it is not too difficult. Will post photos in the future.
Last edited by inairam on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Dick, here is a simple flow chart, easy to follow
Tim
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:43 am

Tim,
I followed that chart a few years ago and it helped. This time, intuition as well as the history of knocking on the regulator top to get things working led me to take a short cut. And it worked. I found the culprit, filed it, and now I'm back in the field pitchfork in hand. Lots and lots of mulch hay for gardens.

Return to “Farmall Cub”