This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FRUSTRATION?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

FRUSTRATION?

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:49 am

:( Just wanting to vent. I spend Monday evenings working on the tractor with my friend, and just geting frustrated.

I keep relearning a lesson that i should have listened to my step father. Don't ever buy a basket case tractor (tractor in a box). When i bought this 59 cub loboy, i was told it only need wiring harness and lights(and that it was a 57). The tractor was in many boxes and many pieces.

But now 2 months in "the putting back together" stage. This is what i have had to get: entire gasket set, comlete hydraulic system, emblems and stickers, starter switch, breather pipe, generator bracket, shift knob, both gauges, the wiring harness, the headlights, all filters, "flopper" (the arm the pull rod actuates to push the starter switch", switch, seat cover, battery, rear light, bracket, etc, raditor pipe, different dog legs, and i am sure we will find more. I had to take this unit to my retired IH mechanic to put back together as i didnt want to chance forgetting (not knowing) to put something in that should have been there.

Already i got as much in parts after the purchase, as i do in the purchase. After working on it last night we discoverd the PTO is shot. I will not be fixing this item now, as i only plan to use tractor for show and possibly snow clearing, as i am mounting the snow (RED :D ) blade on it. If it didn't have new rubber, powder coated rims, perfrct hood, fresh undercoat and paint, i would have given up a long time ago. When i am done, i am sure it will all be worth it. (I hope). Probably find out the block is shot, when we get it ready to start her up.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:11 am

Sounds about right. Those do-it-yourself kits can be frustrating. Hang tough, you have encountered what most of us have over the years. I look at a lot of tractors but buy very few. Of course, when you buy one that is already disassembled, you know you are getting a project and some of the items you mentioned are just part of what we expect to add to the deal. Once it's done, you will be as proud of the work you did as you are of the tractor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

superc_1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72823
Tractors Owned: 3- A's
1 Super C
1- 1951 cub
1- 1957 lo-boy

Postby superc_1 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:28 am

THE OLDER I GET THE LESS I FIND OUT I KNOW (I USE TO BE SO SMART?) I THINK SOME PEOPLE LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKE AND SOME NEVER DO. I HAVE REBUILT TWO SUPER C'S AND ONE FARMALL A AND I TOLD MYSELF I WAS GOING TO MAKE SURE THAT THE CUB I BOUGHT THIS TIME WOULD BE A GOOD ONE TO STARTOUT WITH TO CUT DOWN ON ALL THE HEADACHE AND COST. WELL;WHEN, I SAW THAT LITTLE RED HEAD I THINK MY EYES GLAZED OVER, MY HEART HIT THE FLOOR, AND MY MINE WENT BLANK, AND I COULDN'T GET MY BILLFOLD OUT OF MY BACK POCKET SOON ENOUGH. THE OWNER TOLD ME IT SMOKED A LITTLE (MUST HAVE BEEN ABOUT A CARTOON A DAY ) AND IT RAN THE LAST TIME HE USED IT. HE DIDN'T LIE. I GOT IT RUNNIN AND WAS ABLE TO KILL ALL THE MOSIQUITOS (?) WITHIN A TWO MILE RADIUS OF THE HOUSE. WHEN I GOT INTO THE ENGINE I DON'T SEE HOW THE THING WOULD EVEN START. WELL LIKE VIDEODOC SAID; AFTER I'VE SPENT ABOUT THE SAME AS I PAID FOR IT I ALL THE SUDDEN I REMEMBER WHAT I TOLD MYSELF ABOUT FINDING A GOOD ONE TO START WITH.
No matter where you go, there you are.
"Jefthro Burns"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:17 pm

don't get too disheartened. About 18 years ago I bught a 48 cub with brlly flail mower, scikle moer, pull type disk, plow, adn cultivator all fro $1000. Cub had been painted up to look good, but waen't running. $1100 to fix it and the implements up. However, since then I have used it to mow, plow, disk, grade road, and push snow with very little trouble. In the long run it was a good investment.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:31 pm

John:

Well, look at it this way" At least you got about 75% of your Cub in a box. :lol:

This is my 51 - "Jethro".

His block is in the shop, I am still putting in transflo to break it free - it is still stuck. Head is off and everything looks good, even the valve stems, but it is just stuck. Now, seeing as I am going to rebuild it, I still don't want to break anything as it gets expensive. So a little time and a little patience. It has been at least 2 1/2 years, maybe a little over 3. But guess what :?: :idea: :idea: :!: Everytime I go near what is left of him, I am thinking of the enjoyment I get just tinkering with him. By reviewing all I had done to take his head off - it gave me the encouragement I needed plus a lot of pushing from everyone here on the forum to get me to start on Ellie.

I am glad I did, as she now runs like a champ :lol:

It really is all worth it, and as Big Dog, Super C and John have said, in the end YOU are really going to be PROUD of what you accomplished with this basket case. Just as the rest of us are. 8) :!: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:00 pm

Hang in there ,I had the similar experience,Folks told me Lazarus ran. Never expecting to completely disassemble it,not knowning what all was wrong. our pto was shot also,welded the splines and re machined them as well as fixing the pin that engages the slide spline. cracks in casting around wheels that had to be fixed. Govenor actuating arem Broken and tied up just to name a few of the hurdles. remember when you get er done it will be a great piece that will work for you. You will know that tractor is the best it has ever been. (even direct from the factory).
Good luck! We may not be able to be there to help physically but restoring Frustration is trouble shooting. We're all here to help.
PWL
Check out LAZARUS on Phil's cub that is where it is today. No lights yet. or wiring.
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:09 pm

Well Videodoc it wasn't all bad,you got to spend some time with a frend
and you are making headway.Just as long as your stepfather doesn't
find out he was right and think of the good times when it is finished.
Oh ya when your son wants to buy a basket case tractor you can say
it's a lot of frustration I been there.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Purchase

Postby allenlook » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:11 pm

Same story - purchased a "nice running Cub". Always wanted one, but didn't have time to study up. Got it home and *then* started to learn about Cubs :oops:

Got two garden plows, but for *other* tractors like a Cub Cadet. :D OH, you mean there's a difference :!: :?: :D Got a snowplow, but it's a Hesston for a Cadet I think. :? Anybody need some implements?

Luckily though, no cracked ears, but it did have a cracked bolster (man what an unexpected rebuild *that* was.) Tranny was overflowing with water, gas tank was full of gunk, rust everywhere, blah blah blah. Still, got a hell of a deal in a nice Woods L59, a C-22, and my Cub (and all those other decorative implements) for only $700. It didn't cost me that much to fix him up, although I've spent that much in "nice-to-haves" like new rims and turf tires and new front tires and wheel weights and what-all. But they can't really be included in the cost to get him running, they're just things that I enjoyed buying and installing. Kind of like the neon under-lighting kit and the MP3 player.

And I get a big grin every time I start it up and get something done with it :D But I know where you're at right now! Same place I was when the radiator and hood and everything was back on and I realized I hadn't put the fan shroud on because it was out drying on the paint rack... !@#@!$%!#@!$@!#!@#@^#

By the way, related to all this, I should tell you a tragic story about my dad because superc_1's post reminded me of it and the whole "older I get the less I know" thing. When I was a kid my dad knew everything, and by the time I was eighteen some kind of crippling neurological disorder had reduced him to mush and he didn't know squat and he was wrong *all the time*, and by some miracle, by the time I was 23, he regained his former tune and seemed to know everything again - only by that time it was too late to save me from a couple bad cars, one bad girlfriend (ex-wife), and some stupid investments :D :shock: Man, what timing.

Oh, and Rudi. QUIT POSTING THOSE PICTURES OF S |\| 0 \/\/ :!:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:13 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I put as much into Rufus as I paid for it.... and it was a complete, running tractor. I didn't even go too deep; gaskets, seals and bearings would have all been replaced if I had the time and a bit bigger pockets. It does fire and start on the slightest press of the starter button (the 'new' technology) and mows like there is no tomorrow.

It was so much 'fun' that I bought another one....... This one is red and even had the red over white tail light (impossible to find).

You are surely starting from a disadvantage, becase I can barely remember how something came apart so it must be a bunch harder with parts in a box!

The bright side is that will have some great stories and that Cub will be your faithful companion your whole life! Not to mention the second one will be a lot easier :D
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

2nd one

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:19 pm

yeah if you're hooked, you're hooked, at least thats my story. :shock: did somebody say there was a cub for sale?

at least the 2nd one will be complete, and running when I do the tear down and build up. Already got it, she's setting in the corner. just begging me to get started. want to get this nightmare closed before i go on to the next one. :?

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:04 pm

Smart move doc! I had to walk past the 50 to get to the garage and work on the yeller one..... something of an incentive.

Should be following the same rule now, but I am working on the 'new' Gravely L8 and the Cub at the same time.

Rudi.... you should have the 'double aught' spy (Jethro) under cover (shed attachment to your workshop??). But then again you are like everyone..... too many projects not enough time.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”