This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Leak near brake assembly

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SteveG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60084

Leak near brake assembly

Postby SteveG » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, and a proud new owner of a 1959 Cub Lo boy. I have a question regarding leakage around the brakes. After getting my LoBoy home, I noticed the brakes were stuck "on" all the time. The brake pedal was stuck down, brakes frozen on all of the time due to rust. I shot the assembly in the brake housing with PB Blaster and eventually worked them loose. They work fine now. But, now the tractor is leaking from the rear. Looks like around the seep holes for the rear drive housing (?), but I'm having trouble finding the exact location of the leak. There are fresh puddles every day on each side. this has been going on for almost two weeks now. Has anyone run into anything similar to this? Not sure if it's a leaking seal or too much PB Blaster in the brake assembly or if it's something else entirely. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Leak near brake assembly

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Check to make sure your trans is not over full. If it is, the oil will leak from the axle tubes. Take the shifter off and if the oil looks like a chocolate milk shake drain the trans. Refill with three pints of fuel oil and drive it for about five minutes. Drain again and fill with 3 !/2 pints of 80/90.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi,
I agree with Bill above.
If the transmission has water in it from from rain or condensation, that raises the oil level, and oil can run out of the seals, into where the brakes are.
You could remove the trans level plug and see if it is filled to there, it is on the left side of the trans, down low on the side.
If the oil is at the level of the level plug hole, then it is probably the seals are wornout. It is common for Cubs and Loboys to leak oil into the brake areas, the seals get wornout after years of use.
There are 4 oil seals in the rear, basically a seal on each side of the 2 brake drums, 2 in the trans case, and 2 in the final drive cases, that means 1 seal in each final drive case. They wear out after years of use and leak.
The brakes should be dry all the time, no oil there.
I've replaced the seals on several Cubs over the years.
If you need to take it apart, the brakes may need replacing too, if the lining is worn.
If you don't want to take the shifter off, you could just drain the trans, the drain plug can be seen from under the platform, it's at the bottom of the trans.
You can see if clear water comes out with the oil, or if the oil is brown from water mixed with it. The filler plug is to the rear of the gear shift lever.
The trans oil should be changed periodically, like the owner's manual says, especially if it has not been changed in years.
It shows where the plugs are in the owner's manual.
Here are pics of where the seals are. The 1st is the seal in the trans case, taken by Dale Finch, and the 2nd pic is the seal in the LoBoy final drive, near the brake drum, from TM Tractor. The 3rd pic is the brake in a regular Cub, almost the same as a LoBoy, the casting is made different.
Here is a page from the 1959 owner's manual showing where the plugs are, they are numbers 27, 28, and 29 in the pic. Click on the pics makes them bigger.
The 2nd link is the whole owner's manual, it has lots of info about the LoBoy. It's a good idea to read it, if you never have before. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-38.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Attachments
Cub seal.jpg
Cub LoBoy 7.jpg
Cub brake.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby SteveG » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:51 am

Thank you for your advice. I will check the trans level and see if that is the issue.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi,
The Cub and LoBoy have 3 separate gear cases to check the oil in, at the rear. Besides the transmission, there are 2 final drives cases. If you have oil leaks, I would check the oil in the final drives too, you don't want them to get low on oil. Put in some oil if they are low.
Here is a pic of a LoBoy final drive showing the oil level plug. You should be able to see them from the rear of the tractor.
Also here is a page from a LoBoy owner's manual showing a LoBoy in the pic. The one in my post above is a regular Cub. The plug is number 34 in the pic.
The final drives have no drain plug, it says remove the pans to drain the oil. They have a gasket, you might need new gaskets if you remove the pans.
Below the manual link are links for TM Tractor for the gasket, and the oil seals for the trans and final drives, if you want to see those. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-66.jpg

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fr/125fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/044fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/245fp.htm
Attachments
Cub Loboy 4.jpg

SteveG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby SteveG » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:17 pm

I want to thank you all for your advice. I've changed all of the fluids, and that stopped the issue. The trans fluid was, as you described, as nasty as chocolate milk that has gone bad. Now it no longer leaks and it purrs like a kitten. My Cub and I are like Forrest Gump and Jenny. Peas & Carrots.....

Thanks Again!
Steve

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Glad the fluid change did the trick.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”