This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
crowman17
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16159

Throttle adjustment

Postby crowman17 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:36 am

My cub seems to run at one speed even when you push the throttle adjustment ahead? Adjustment is stiff when you do try to push the throttle ahead. I have looked and can not find any binding, I still have to take off the hood to make sure. If you do adjust the throttle the engine will surge up and down. If you pull out the choke some the engine will level out. What do I need to do to fix this problem? Carb rebuild?

Thanks Marc

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:46 am

Check out your governor linkage. You may have a lot of slop and wear which can create the problem. The set-up procedure is in the owner's manual if you want to re-set everything after you fix the problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:55 am

For the first problem:

The governor control linkage has a rod that runs forward and connects to an L shaped lever that pulls on the governor spring. If you have a parts catalog, look up part 359 717 R2 for a diagram. This lever pivots on a shaft that gets no lubrication. If it is binding, it is probably restricting control over the governor. If so, get some penetrating oil or other lubricant onto it to get it moving freely.

For the second:
There is also a bumper spring adjustment on the front side of the govenor housing. You probably should remove it and make sure it is clean. When installing it, just turn it in enough to keep the engine speed from surging. If in too far, it can limit engine speed, but shouldn't have any effect on low idle speed. Shut the engine off when making adjustments because of the fan. Check the adjustment of the linkage from the governor to the carburetor before you do this adjustment.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:57 am

Image to what BD said. Most likely that will be your problem.

Image it seems to what Jim said as I was typing this up... :roll: :lol:

Just one thing to add... take some Kroil (yeah Country I really am becoming a convert :lol: :lol:) or at the least your favourite penetrating oil and spray the linkages at all junctions including the clevis, the 90 degree gear (?) and at the governor itself including the springs an all. Let it soak for a while. Re-apply a few times. Patience really pays off. It may just be dirt and gunk from years of buildup and possible lack of attention.

I did this to Ellie and it worked fine - she now responds like a governed C-60 should when under load. However, Jethro's governor was a different story and needed a major overhaul -- $150.00Cdn worth - ball park figure, could be off by 5 or 10...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Governor

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:12 pm

Spraying my governer linkages helped a lot with Jay, when he was surging while I was mowing last year. Hasn't happened since.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com