Radiator coolant leak

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lowrollerjr
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 93010
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub

Radiator coolant leak

Postby Lowrollerjr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:59 am

OK this is driving me crazy.. after my cub sits for a day or so after it has been run. I find that radiator fluid leaks out of the small hole in of the clutch cover area. It doesn't seem to be mixed with oil. It is a very small amount. The radiator fluid level in the radiator seems unaffected . The oil dip stick is at normal level so I don't think I have a cracked block with the coolant leaking into the block. If I do have a leak in the block would the coolant go into the block and then separate ( like oil and vinegar) after a bit? Then leak out? The coolant doesn't even seem to be mixed with oil when it drops out. I have checked as best I could for outside coolant leaks and couldn't find any. Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the cub runs great.

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Radiator coolant leak

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:03 am

I'm not sure how coolant could get there. I would have thought just condensation rather than coolant. You are sure there is antifreeze present?

Bustntruckers
Zip Code: 21904

Postby Bustntruckers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 am

dont know if their is a freeze plug behind the flywheel or not,,if so its possible it has a small leak allowing the fluid to leak in housing....could also be seeping out the backside of the head...does it smoke white when started & then clears up & smells like antifreeze?/

Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Circle Cub #1447 (Arnold)
195? Cub
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Shane Nelson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 am

There are no freeze plugs in a Cub block. Oil and water will not separate in the block, your oil will just turn milky. If your not losing coolant out of the radiator my guess is you have water in your transmission and it is running out the front seal on the tranny and down the torque tube and out the clutch inspection cover.
God is good, all the time!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:11 am

Transmission full of water?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bustntruckers

Postby Bustntruckers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:24 am

water gets in tranny around the gear shift when left out doors...but his post said anti freeze,,water isnt anti freeze///lol

Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Circle Cub #1447 (Arnold)
195? Cub
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Shane Nelson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:39 am

Bustntruckers wrote:water gets in tranny around the gear shift when left out doors...but his post said anti freeze,,water isnt anti freeze///lol

He also said his radiator isn't losing any coolant. There is no way for coolant to get into the bell housing other than a cracked block which in turn would make the radiator level low.
God is good, all the time!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:44 am

Bustntruckers wrote:water gets in tranny around the gear shift when left out doors...but his post said anti freeze,,water isnt anti freeze///lol
Actually, condensation will occur in the transmission/differential even with the tractor stored indoors.

Original poster stated that the radiator fluid level didn't appear to be affected. Original poster also said radiator fluid, not anti-freeze. Semantics.

Darn. Chipmaker beat me again.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bustntruckers

Postby Bustntruckers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:25 pm

OK OK,,,when they said coolant i automatically assumed anti feeze,,,my bad,,,i apologize,,,just assumed everyone ran antifreeze year round...so much for assumption

Lowrollerjr
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Lowrollerjr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:38 pm

I'm sure it is antifreeze. It is the same distinct color, smell, and taste as to whats in the radiator. I checked the head again and I don't see any leaks. I'm going to a tractor show this weekend ...hopefully I can get it solved. It does smoke a little when started but doesn't completely go away. I almost sometimes think I can smell a sweet smell in the exhaust. But if it was antifreeze goin into the block. Then the Antifreeze level would go down in the radiator and it DOESNT...that's the crazy part. I have seafoam in the engine right now....I don't think that matters? :lost:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Did we mention draining the transmission/differential? Condensation has a tendency to accumulate there.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:32 pm

I had a leak leaving just a few drops of antifreeze under the flywheel on my 49 several years ago. It took a while, but I finally found a crack in the block behind the flywheel. It was a very small horizontal crack ending behind the oil pump. It only dripped 3 or 4 drops a day. I took it to a local machine shop that repaired it for me. This was the only time I have ever heard of a crack in that particular spot.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bustntruckers

Postby Bustntruckers » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:01 pm

if it smokes white & smells like anti freeze & the smoke clears out after getting warm then you might have cracked block or head gasket bad...it wouldnt have to get into the oil if its entering thru area of an intake valve..i have one that the anti leaks into the filter housing..just a small amount..drain the oil from the flter housing & i get anti freeze,,then oil,,it smokes then clears out...tractor runs great & im not gonna try to find the leak untill it gets bad..kinda thought you had anti freeze in it...but everyone said coolant...guess im not dumb after all...good luck

Lowrollerjr
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Lowrollerjr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 pm

I did interchange the words anitifreeze and coolant. I guess I should have just stuck with antifreeze....sorry for the confusion. John Im thinking it might be something similar to the leak you describe. Im going to check again real well. Hopefully I can find it without splitting the tractor. Thank you Bustntruckers as well. I am going to check the filter as well. Glad you guys know of these issues. I thought you guys were going to write me off as not knowing what the #$%& I was talking about. Ill keep you posted. The leak comes a couple of days after the tractor has been run and its only a few drops. It doesn't leak right after I shut it off when its hot. Also it is so very minute that I don't even notice the antifreeze level drop in the radiator. If I cant find the leak right away i'm thinking I may let it ride until it gets worse. Do you guys think that will be ok?
Thanks